HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 6:33 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,427
Very sad. Don't be preaching when...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 6:39 PM
borkborkbork borkborkbork is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
^^ha ha. No problem!

I wish every commercial building downtown had a retail ground floor too. It’s not realistic but it would be great. Richardson’s need a lab. They spent more building downtown than the suburban option they looked at. I’m glad they did. I didnt have a realistic expectation that they would build and run retail in their lab. As great as that would be.
It's a nice distance from the Richardson HQ, too -- one long block, not connected underground, but still close enough that people can walk from 1 Portage over. Has the potential to bring a little bit of street action to that stretch of Lombard.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 6:53 PM
Jammon's Avatar
Jammon Jammon is offline
jammon member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
It's a nice distance from the Richardson HQ, too -- one long block, not connected underground, but still close enough that people can walk from 1 Portage over. Has the potential to bring a little bit of street action to that stretch of Lombard.
I really don't understand how people could be critical of this development. When Winnipeg has filled up all of the surface lots only then can we complain about the types of projects being built. One more gravel lot filled by a building that creates sustainable jobs is ok by me. Anything is better than looking at that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 7:55 PM
Ando Ando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 753
Well, you may have noticed that certain people like to naysay everything around here.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 7:59 PM
Ando Ando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
^ Richardson's are sitting on a lot more money and property than just this one that they're doing nothing with...
They are a multi-billion dollar international company. I think they do stuff to make money. I can't argue with that. Within the confines of making a profit, they have done a ton for Winnipeg and the downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 8:05 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,427
It is one thing to be a successful company, but it is another to sit on lots for 30 years, then talk about revitalization.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 8:13 PM
Ando Ando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
It is one thing to be a successful company, but it is another to sit on lots for 30 years, then talk about revitalization.
I don't know if you work, or what sector you work in, but you seem ill-informed about how private companies work and motivate themselves. It's not uncommon to hold property for future development, in areas where there has traditionally been a lack of activity or demand. That said, Richardson's has built a skyscraper at the corner of portage and main, is a partner in the True North project going up, which is taking another surface lot, and now this. Profit-based based companies don't just do stuff to make you happy. This isn't rocket science.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #48  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 8:26 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,427
Oh please, what have they done for downtown since 1967? I am sure TNS would have proceeded without the Richardsons.

"We looked at other alternative sites but we agreed it would be inconsistent with our commitment to downtown."

Bitch please. Don't be looking down at all those empty barren lots and now spout revitalization. The fact is that this lot has been an eyesore for 30 years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:00 PM
ywgwalk ywgwalk is online now
Formerly rypinion
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Exchange District, Winnipeg
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Oh please, what have they done for downtown since 1967? I am sure TNS would have proceeded without the Richardsons.
Employed 400+ people right at Portage and Main.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #50  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:06 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,427
What about GWL? We are not talking about day to day operations, and staffing but revitalization efforts. You think this measly lab is worth shouting from the rooftops? If they really had a passion for the downtown, that lot (and who knows what other land they own) would have been developed by now or sold. I had no idea they owned that land for so long.

I am impressed more by Artis, and I do not think we have seen the last of the projects the company has planned.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:08 PM
headhorse's Avatar
headhorse headhorse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 1,132
-

Last edited by headhorse; Apr 5, 2018 at 11:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #52  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:14 PM
Ando Ando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Oh please, what have they done for downtown since 1967? I am sure TNS would have proceeded without the Richardsons.

"We looked at other alternative sites but we agreed it would be inconsistent with our commitment to downtown."

Bitch please. Don't be looking down at all those empty barren lots and now spout revitalization. The fact is that this lot has been an eyesore for 30 years.
I've said what I have to say on this to you. I know what you are so I don't feel the need to add anything further. Best.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #53  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:16 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,427
And I know what you are...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:16 PM
Ando Ando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
since 2012, the Richardson family has made over $3.5 billion. if they would have instead used $3 billion of that $3.5 billion to hire/pay employees, they could have paid 10 000 employees a salary of $60,000 a yr for the years 2012-2017. $30 million isn't very much to them..

i mean, would you rather have the benefits of the Richardson's being $3.5 billion richer and all the "benefits" that brings to portage and main, or 10 000 workers contributing to the local economy with a $60,000 yr income?
What magical land are you from?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:18 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,427
I know: why not give RRC $$$ to build its new facility?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:18 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Think about Winnipeg.
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
since 2012, the Richardson family has made over $3.5 billion. if they would have instead used $3 billion of that $3.5 billion to hire/pay employees, they could have paid 10 000 employees a salary of $60,000 a yr for the years 2012-2017. $30 million isn't very much to them..

i mean, would you rather have the benefits of the Richardson's being $3.5 billion richer and all the "benefits" that brings to portage and main, or 10 000 workers contributing to the local economy with a $60,000 yr income?


Since when do we get to tell other people what to do with their property? It's one thing to critique design of buildings but the Richardsons' assets do not belong to us.

But in case you aren't convinced, let me just say it would do a lot for downtown if your paycheque were redirected to defraying the overhead costs of businesses operating in Portage Place. Can you PM me to pass along your banking details so I can get started on the arrangements?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #57  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:24 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post


Since when do we get to tell other people what to do with their property? It's one thing to critique design of buildings but the Richardsons' assets do not belong to us.

But in case you aren't convinced, let me just say it would do a lot for downtown if your paycheque were redirected to defraying the overhead costs of businesses operating in Portage Place. Can you PM me to pass along your banking details so I can get started on the arrangements?
I'm sure it would cover it, as those kinds of businesses do not have high overhead costs...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #58  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:41 PM
DancingDuck DancingDuck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
If they really had a passion for the downtown, that lot (and who knows what other land they own) would have been developed by now or sold. I had no idea they owned that land for so long.
They wouldn't develop the lots unless they knew they could make a profit, businesses don't just develop stuff for the sake of developing stuff... Even if they had sold their lots what then? There's no proof that anybody else would have done anything

Is this a 25 story high-rise? No, and that's okay, not every project can be or has to be, that's just the way it works... It's a beautiful (imo) building that could just had easily gone in the suburbs or an industrial park... But the Richardsons felt downtown was the better choice and personally I applaud them for that
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #59  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:46 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,427
True, I think it is time to take a break from all the 25 story buildings being built in Winnipeg.

Richardson should just admit that then "we wanted to develop it sooner, but the conditions in Winnipeg are not conducive...". I would respect that more than the announcement he made.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #60  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2018, 9:49 PM
optimusREIM optimusREIM is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post


Since when do we get to tell other people what to do with their property? It's one thing to critique design of buildings but the Richardsons' assets do not belong to us.
While we're at it we could collectivise downtown and make it illegal to object... utopia soon follows!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:30 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.