HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 5:41 AM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob View Post
Which brings us back to my original statement, that a stadium is not high on your list of priorities. Simple. If you have evidence the Province is jerking Regina around then produce it.
I do not have evidence. It is conjecture. That is all I have.

Take it for what it is worth.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus View Post
I do not have evidence. It is conjecture. That is all I have.

Take it for what it is worth.
Fair enough

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 9:32 PM

Im suprised saskatoons mayor hasent piped up and said something about the stadium proposal being stupid, or that the housing numbers recenlty released are wrong. That city has a bad case of little man syndrome

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 9:34 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306 View Post
Im suprised saskatoons mayor hasent piped up and said something about the stadium proposal being stupid, or that the housing numbers recenlty released are wrong. That city has a bad case of little man syndrome
Actually, have to give credit to Mayor Atchison who said he was fine with prov. money going towards a stadium.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 9:38 PM
Has been

Quote:
Nice try. Stay classy.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 9:41 PM
working stiff

Quote:
Okay. Do you have a story you would like to share?

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 9:58 PM

No? Im just saying that when ever something good is happeneing in regina, it cant just be that the city is doing well and that people actually want to come and live here, it has to be some type of fluke or error...

I also think its about time the prov gov has dropped a large amount of cash on regina, saskatoon gets brand new 100 million dollar projects every year at the U of S which is fully funded by the gov( aka taxpayers from around the provincee) that no one outside of stoon will ever visit. Atleast everyone in the provincee can come and enjoy the stadium. If we dont do it now, will be doing it in 15years when the construction costs have doubled.

I could imagine what people would say if we propsed a stadium like minnesota, at at a price tag of 900million, probably half that is for the goddam roof.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
No? Im just saying that when ever something good is happeneing in regina, it cant just be that the city is doing well and that people actually want to come and live here, it has to be some type of fluke or error...

I also think its about time the prov gov has dropped a large amount of cash on regina, saskatoon gets brand new 100 million dollar projects every year at the U of S which is fully funded by the gov( aka taxpayers from around the provincee) that no one outside of stoon will ever visit. Atleast everyone in the provincee can come and enjoy the stadium. If we dont do it now, will be doing it in 15years when the construction costs have doubled.

I could imagine what people would say if we propsed a stadium like minnesota, at at a price tag of 900million, probably half that is for the goddam roof.
I'll second that!!! (Even though he - publicly - didn't oppose gov't funding.)

Off-the-record though, I'll be that he's praying to gawd that it will be an open-air facility!!!

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:

So your are comparing the Provincial University with a Stadium for Regina? What are you even thinking about. The 20,000+ students don't all come from Saskatoon. In fact many come from Regina....

Everyone can come visit the university and the wonderful facilities and actually use a lot of the facilities. How many people will ever set foot on the field at this new stadium or get to use it? Honestly next to no one....

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 10:57 PM
working stiff

Policy decision making

Quote:

Yeah, I have heard those feelings expressed in the past.

I think a lot of federal and provincial policy decisions boils down to economics. The impact of economies of scale and agglomeration effects drive decisions to fund major projects. It happens throughout Canada, and around the world. I get a sense that is why it appears Saskatoon is favored in terms of project funding. Its character and relative location align more closely with market interests. The stronger and growing gdp, population, consumer goods/services, and some intangibles invite governments to focus on Saskatoon.

Focus on your strengths is how things are operating.

...or I am simply biased.

Old Posted May 10, 2012, 11:53 PM
Canadian Urbanite

This thread is not about Saskatoon versus Regina - can we not go down that path?

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 12:10 AM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
This thread is not about Saskatoon versus Regina - can we not go down that path?
Great question to ask thefourthtower and his merry band of followers.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post

but its fun..I frikking hate Saskatoon..wish they move to Alberta. Used to live up there and they have a terrible smug problem

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:

I think a lot of federal and provincial policy decisions boils down to economics. The impact of economies of scale and agglomeration effects drive decisions to fund major projects. It happens throughout Canada, and around the world. I get a sense that is why it appears Saskatoon is favored in terms of project funding. Its character and relative location align more closely with market interests. The stronger and growing gdp, population, consumer goods/services, and some intangibles invite governments to focus on Saskatoon.

You are simply biased.

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 12:27 AM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpaul View Post
but its fun..I frikking hate Saskatoon..wish they move to Alberta. Used to live up there and they have a terrible smug problem
Nice. Do you have a story you would like to share?

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 12:28 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Great question to ask thefourthtower and his merry band of followers.
Come on - you're doing the same thing with your post above mine. Lets not go down this path. We are supposed to come together and channel our energy at Winnipeg! We've lost our way!

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Nice. Do you have a story you would like to share?

OMG...to many to share. but wont get into here...worked up there in the 1990's and my in laws are from the Saskawhiner area

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
You will be shocked
Care to share some details fourth tower? Like when this is going to be announced and what it's about?

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 5:51 AM

Quote:

You do know that Regina lead the nation in gdp growth and also Regina as of right now as surpassed Saskatoon in housing starts. so going by your logic the government should be spending more money on Regina now. I dont think thats the case I more think that right now in Saskatoon there just some major projects that have to be done and after years of planning they are now ready to be funded by the government . The same well happen in regina once its ready to start its major projects for example the regina bypass to support the increasing traffic coming from the Global transportation hub. I sat back seen some of your post currently and in the past and maybe I am wrong might be mixing you up with someone else but it seems that your comments are not to favorable to Regina not saying that your the only one . And in the past some of my comments also have not been to favorable to toon town I do have to say I was down in saskatoon my first time in 6 years or so and I was very impress. But the way you guys from saskatoon make regina look like its some backwards government town going nowhere. But we are nothing like that . There lots of non government activity happening in Regina hell they are not building brand new spanking office tower for shitts and giggles things are really happening in this town . And just so you guys are not thinking we regina folk are pulling out the highest gdp growth in canada and also more housing starts out of are bums I will post some links
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/busine...219/story.html

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/regina-led-...070221074.html

Old Posted May 11, 2012, 6:48 AM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by macblaze View Post
You do know that Regina lead the nation in gdp growth and also Regina as of right now as surpassed Saskatoon in housing starts. so going by your logic the government should be spending more money on Regina now. I dont think thats the case I more think that right now in Saskatoon there just some major projects that have to be done and after years of planning they are now ready to be funded by the government . The same well happen in regina once its ready to start its major projects for example the regina bypass to support the increasing traffic coming from the Global transportation hub. I sat back seen some of your post currently and in the past and maybe I am wrong might be mixing you up with someone else but it seems that your comments are not to favorable to Regina not saying that your the only one . And in the past some of my comments also have not been to favorable to toon town I do have to say I was down in saskatoon my first time in 6 years or so and I was very impress. But the way you guys from saskatoon make regina look like its some backwards government town going nowhere. But we are nothing like that . There lots of non government activity happening in Regina hell they are not building brand new spanking office tower for shitts and giggles things are really happening in this town . And just so you guys are not thinking we regina folk are pulling out the highest gdp growth in canada and also more housing starts out of are bums I will post some links
http://www.thestarphoenix.com/busine...219/story.html

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/regina-led-...070221074.html
Yeah, I am aware of that. All of it. My position is clear. I am speaking from what little I know about economics and the growth of cities. Take it, leave it, forget it...whatever.

Do you have any other complaints or issues to express?

Maybe shift this conversation to Western Expresso if it continues.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan