HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 1:29 PM
you know where I'll be

^ There's definitely something special about the floor they're currently working on - the west side hasn't moved in a while, with the exception of what looks like a single column a couple stories high.....

Old Posted Jun 21, 2007, 2:08 PM
Chicago 2016

That is really large for such a short relative amount of time.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2007, 9:50 PM

I reported this in the Chicago Boom Rundown, but One Museum Park West has started construction. It's actually been u.c. for a while now, we just weren't sure whether the perimeter piles being built were for earth retention or were actual load-bearing columns integral to the structure. A Bovis worker told me today that it's the latter.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2007, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Chicago View Post
I reported this in the Chicago Boom Rundown, but One Museum Park West has started construction. It's actually been u.c. for a while now, we just weren't sure whether the perimeter piles being built were for earth retention or were actual load-bearing columns integral to the structure. A Bovis worker told me today that it's the latter.
If that's the case, then how long has the tower "actually" been under-construction for now?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2007, 6:29 AM

Judging from my photo collection, it looks like it started in March. The construction worker I spoke with also guessed that it had been March.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2007, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by museumparktom View Post
MP 1 - 3 all have separate condo associations, however there is a combined association that deals with the pool, community room and eventual retail. Tower 4 is completely separate and it's interesting that they already have a coffee shop and drycleaner. Some need services for the development. As for jumping the wall I think that they have put up a 7 foot construction wall for now so you might need to pole vault.

The site plan for the original development did call for a Tower 5 in addition to OMP 1 and OPMW that was to be wrapped with 3 story town homes. It's my understanding that the tower has been scraped. There was some discussion in SCC a few months ago on it. The plan now is to have all town homes. So your friend has it right.
That constuction wall doesn't run the entire length of the railing so i can get some pretty good views of the units and their community area from our pool deck.
The drycleaner is open the coffee shop is supposed to open by the end of july, or at least that is what they keep telling us.

Has anyone seen a site plan for the townhomes? I walked through the sales center and couldn't find anything.

"A Chicago man knows he has a mission to accomplish in the world."- Pierre De Coubertin

Old Posted Jun 25, 2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Judging from my photo collection, it looks like it started in March. The construction worker I spoke with also guessed that it had been March.
there was some dispute as to whether or not it is under construction because the activity going on now is supposedly for a retaining wall system and not the actually building caissons themselves.

Personally, i think this project is beyond the point of no return and therefore should be considered under construction.

"A Chicago man knows he has a mission to accomplish in the world."- Pierre De Coubertin

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 2:30 AM
Chicago, il.- Malibu, Ca

My eyes are glued to this project considering how it is going to alter the South of Grant Park's new look. What is considered under construction? when the first caisson's are installed, or when the first start digging?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 2:31 AM
Chicago, il.- Malibu, Ca

grammar error....When "they" first start digging?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 5:42 AM

Construction is "official" once the building's structure begins to take shape on the site. A retaining wall (usually sheet piling) keeps the surrounding soil from collapsing, and is not a load-bearing part of the foundation, so it isn't considered an integral part of the building. Often it's located a distance away from the building perimeter.

As it turns out, the secam piles being built at OMPW *are* load-bearing structural members, so all doubt has been removed.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 9:04 PM
Chicagotom SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
If that's the case, then how long has the tower "actually" been under-construction for now?
I looked back into the tread and we started to have this discussion at the begining of March.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 12:24 AM

Quote:

As it turns out, the secam piles being built at OMPW *are* load-bearing structural members, so all doubt has been removed.
I think the foundation system you're referring to is called a secant pile wall or secant piles.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 12:57 AM

6/26/07

Viewed from Randolph Street using all of my camera's 3.1x optical zoom

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 1:52 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 11:46 AM
Content provider

great shot there

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 4:54 AM

Museum Park 3

I was at the sales center today and found a drawing of a proposed one museum park 3. Aparently they had a meeting about it the day before. The sales rep told me that the building would be taller than one museum park. I counted about 74 floors. It has a rounded fasade facing one museum park west toward Indiana ave. It has the same architectural feel also.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 5:00 AM
Angry Sober

This is a really good looking building, can't believe I let it fly under my radar for this long. More than likely this is because Chicago has so many great buildings going up. Keep the good work going!

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 5:05 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
I was at the sales center today and found a drawing of a proposed one museum park 3. Aparently they had a meeting about it the day before. The sales rep told me that the building would be taller than one museum park. I counted about 74 floors. It has a rounded fasade facing one museum park west toward Indiana ave. It has the same architectural feel also.
Did you try askin them to build a supertall?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 5:07 AM

Quote:
The sales rep told me that the building would be taller than one museum park. I counted about 74 floors. It has a rounded fasade facing one museum park west toward Indiana ave. It has the same architectural feel also.
That's cool. It confirmed what BVic mentioned the rumor last year. Thanks for sharing.

Possibly 800-foot high-rise

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 5:36 AM
Registered

Quote:
Great work, alex. Thanks for reporting this to us!

800 feet + is good. But, isn't it time for a little more variety?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive