HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
Right. A lot of future development is. But in the past the city never utilized the river for whatever reason
well back as late as the 80s maybe even later the river was polluted as hell. It since has been cleaned up pretty well

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
Right. A lot of future development is. But in the past the city never utilized the river for whatever reason
"Never utilized the river" is an overstatement. Waterfront Park replaced a freeway in the 1970s. Riverplace (marina, shops, etc) replaced an industrial slum in the 1980s. The Eastbank Esplanade provides access to the other side along with a connected path all around the river from the Steel Bridge to the Hawthorne Bridge in the 1990s. Poets Beach just opened under the Marquam Bridge. And the river is clean enough to swim in again, for the first time since, well the founding of Portland I would guess. So a lot has been done, but I do agree there is a lot more that could be done. I'm hoping for great things with the Zidell / Sowa development, Centennial Mills, etc. I do wish there were more active uses along Waterfront Park. I know the city is planning some food carts. But it's tough when Naito Parkway separates the city street grid so much from the park. I really wish they'd found a way to make the James Beard Market work downtown, that was such a great opportunity to revitalize the waterfront area.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 1:14 AM

DR #3 Drawings [18 MB] and memo

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 8:16 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Hearing people whine about how this building will destroy their view of the Fremont Bridge makes me want this building to be built as is.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 8:36 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Hearing people whine about how this building will destroy their view of the Fremont Bridge makes me want this building to be built as is.
The Freemont Bridge is gonna destroy my view across the river!

KOIN Tower is gonna ruin my view of Mt. Hood!

That new tower on Broadway is gonna block my view of KOIN!

Hey, you got chocolate on in my peanut butter!
And you got peanut butter on my chocolate!

The good news is, the world won't run out of idiots anytime soon. The bad news is the part about "good news." And the wheels on the bus go around and around...

Old Posted Nov 25, 2017, 7:47 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
The Freemont Bridge is gonna destroy my view across the river!

KOIN Tower is gonna ruin my view of Mt. Hood!

That new tower on Broadway is gonna block my view of KOIN!

Hey, you got chocolate on in my peanut butter!
And you got peanut butter on my chocolate!

The good news is, the world won't run out of idiots anytime soon. The bad news is the part about "good news." And the wheels on the bus go around and around...
This person on Facebook KGW whining about it, I told her the view isn't blocked if you go to the river to look at the bridge. Its as if these people are incapable of leaving their apartments without being in their cars.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Fully revised drawings [147 MB].

Old Posted Nov 30, 2017, 2:35 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

I hate to say it, but, meh. It's such a boring piece of filler. It'd be fine as high rise infill downtown, or stashed among the other tall apartments and condos in the Pearl... but at this location, right along the river and the park... I don't think it's compelling at all.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2017, 8:12 PM

No vote at Design Commission yesterday due to a request by a member of the public to hold record open. Project will return on December 21st.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 1:16 AM

Latest staff report

Old Posted Dec 22, 2017, 12:20 AM

Approved today

Old Posted Dec 23, 2017, 2:07 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
I hate to say it, but, meh. It's such a boring piece of filler. It'd be fine as high rise infill downtown, or stashed among the other tall apartments and condos in the Pearl... but at this location, right along the river and the park... I don't think it's compelling at all.
The area isn’t compelling.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 7:39 PM

Final Findings and Decision by the Design Commission. Pearl District Neighborhood Association board voted last night to appeal to City Council (overriding previous support from their Land Use and Transportation Committee).

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
The area isn’t compelling.
I think any location that is right on the river front and that will thereby be permanently prominent, is compelling enough to demand a good building.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnliu View Post
I think any location that is right on the river front and that will thereby be permanently prominent, is compelling enough to demand a good building.
I agree! And the architect should try to make the area compelling with their design, rather than just throwing something up and trying to offend the least number of people because the bridge view will be partially blocked. Maybe play off the bridge design or something to actually make this an opportunity, rather than an apology.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
I agree! And the architect should try to make the area compelling with their design, rather than just throwing something up and trying to offend the least number of people because the bridge view will be partially blocked. Maybe play off the bridge design or something to actually make this an opportunity, rather than an apology.
The "architect" is a hired firm to produce a building within certain specs provided by the developer. If you want to come down on anyone, and I personally actually like this proposal, it's much better than the scattered mess that is Waterfront Pearl, it's the developer's responsibility to increase/redirect a budget as necessary to make an "area compelling".

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 3:54 PM

Never mind; misread the location.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 4:54 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
The "architect" is a hired firm to produce a building within certain specs provided by the developer. If you want to come down on anyone, and I personally actually like this proposal, it's much better than the scattered mess that is Waterfront Pearl, it's the developer's responsibility to increase/redirect a budget as necessary to make an "area compelling".
Exactly. It's frustrating to see so much aggression toward architects when they are working within the confines of a developer's will/budget/ego/whatever. The armchair urbanistas in the Portland forums are the whiniest. Every damn thing, cry, cry, cry.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 7:44 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
When I think of "architect" the words that come to mind are inspiration and design rather than "building within specs". The latter is important, and of course it depends upon the nature of the project (and the architect) but I would hope that most would be pre-disposed to the former.

A developer has any number of architects from which to choose, and through their choice will serve notice as to the intentions for the property. If for example they choose – oh I don't know, Santiago Calatrava they would send a certain signal re their desire for a "compelling" structure. The choice of a "starchitect" would of course make all sorts of statements vis-a-vis the type of project they envision. This developer chose TVA. No Calatrava, but still one of the more discerning firms in town which perhaps is why the solution is somewhat disappointing. Not terrible by any means, but certainly not distinguished. This is a significant building, and it makes me wonder what this developer had in mind when choosing a firm whose portfolio includes local reference points such as the John Ross, Fox tower, and PAW – all examples of interesting design and great attention to detail. Seems like there are any number of less-accomplished firms in town who would have provided them with the same result TVA has produced here. Were they expecting more?

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 9:45 PM
Registered Ugly

You cannot make a firm take on your project. You have to choose between those with the ability, time, and interest to do it within the confines of your own budget.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland