HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Jeddah Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Jeddah Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfArabia View Post

Design in May 2010
The Illinois by Frank Lloyd Wright

http://mysite.verizon.net/rfh2/writings/theIllinois.jpg

Ironically, though the two designs are over 50 years apart, these products by prominent Chicago architects are still quite similar to one another, whether they were meant to grace the flat fields of the Great Plains or tower over the sprawling Arabian deserts. In my opinion, though, such a standout supertall is more appropriate in Saudi Arabia, as Middle Eastern countries have hundreds of years worth of precedent where the locals would build towering mosques that could serve as visual guides for people out in the desert. In Chicago, highrise construction became associated with the city only during the late 19th century.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2010, 7:07 PM

mhm very good point Lecom, as for anymore news on this project, it may take a little while im guessing, for design, and can you imagine the estimating for this thing, that would be a headache

Old Posted Dec 13, 2010, 2:27 AM

Location: enjoying life in Tønsberg the coolest little town in Norway
it seems that frank Loyd was more right than he ever thought he would be.

It may seem that one of the only good ways to do such an insanely tall building is to follow his old designs.

although the base is different and the plateau that grows out from the Illinois and then creates a flat outside area very high up. Aint on the Kingdom tower. it seems to have a more directly sticking out platform instead

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 10:27 PM

Jeddah’s Kingdom Tower, World’s Tallest Building Given the Go Ahead

http://singularityhub.com/2011/03/29...ularity+Hub%29

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 12:29 AM

cool and all, but if you look at the sources for that article, one is an article published in October, and the other is a page saying it is on hold. (though it does say that work is expected to resume in Q2 2011)

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 1:04 AM
BROOKLYN

Are those really the most recent designs?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 1:01 AM

DO IT!!!!!!!!, give us Carpenters a chance to build something much larger than the already tall super structure Burj Dubai!!, give the engineers, plumber, electricians, architects, all sub trades, trades, and everyone else who is involved in the construction industry!!......... i say go with it, i always like a challenge.. this is the Future.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 5:36 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 6:38 PM
Seek The Upward Horizon

While I'm sure the kingdom can afford something like this, I'd be worried they'd swallow massive operating losses for the sake of prestige and thereby discourage similar ideas in other skyscraper nations.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMancuso View Post
Not for nothing but this is ridiculous....imo building these "Trophy Towers" of gargantuan size is just a desecration of architecture's purpose and in reality serve no real purpose. While the ESB was basically a trophy, it was at least a skyscraper not a vertical city. Building these giant vertical cities (Burj Khalifa included) simply suppresses true skyscraper achievements worthy of the title of "worlds tallest bldg". I'd much rather see the Willis Tower or Taipei 101 carry that title. It was nice when the worlds tallest title was seized by towers with heights only 100-200 ft. taller than their predecessor. It was a gradual transition of the title that made it fun to watch. Though now Burj Khalifa has created a nearly 1000 foot gap between it and the Willis Tower and if this tower is built it will automatically strip the title from any building built between the heights of 2,716 ft to 5,280 feet....seems kinda silly to me. but of course thats just my opinion.

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 3:32 AM

Abomination to the world of architecture.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 3:34 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

I think height has always been part of the "trophy" even when the worlds tallest race was being battled only within New York city itself (or going all the way back to the cathedrals battles of Europe). What interests me is that both Empire, Willis tower have required massive renovations to adapt to the modern world. Empire is 80 years old, but Willis not even 40. What happens when THIS building does. If it costs $30 Billion to build it, what happens in 40, 50 years when an already impractical building becomes impractical to the standards of modern living? If it is built, I am interested to see what happens in this regard, and how the architects/developers address such a buildings lifespan.

I'm also sure, much like Burj, that a ridiculous portion of the "height" will be spire and it wont be a true mile-high tower. Though hopefully such a tower will put the pissing contest to bed for a few decades, and cities around the world can instead discuss how to build high quality architecture and urban places.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 4:51 PM
BANNED

This is being built for show, I presume? Is there really a need for this?

Well, I guess they are putting their oil revenues to good use
The rest of the world pays for these vanity projects. The sooner oil runs out the better.
What can you expect from countries run by kings and emirs. After all, a king must have his castle, and his mega yachts, planes, and his ego fulfilled. If this is built, my view of this country will be even lower than it already is. Have fun!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 12:03 AM
Seek The Upward Horizon

On the other hand (rethinking my own previous comment, and addressing some of those following it), the level of investment that will be poured into this project will surely benefit technology and allow many bold experiments.

It isn't usually the original investors in a concept that benefit the greatest from its realization, but rather those who are most primed to run with the idea once it's demonstrated. For instance, I don't think Burj Khalifa has attained the level of prestige its objective height implies, because even with all the other Dubai skyscrapers it's still basically the superficial shell of a city - a city-themed amusement park, with the Burj as an abstract centerpiece. Jeddah would probably be the same story, but even more starkly so - I doubt very much that such a landscape looks different from a mile high than from 200 meters, and simply playing host to a quixotic colossus isn't going to turn that city into a skyscraper metropolis.

So, despite my reservations, I think it could work like a kind of prototype: I.e., the Saudis inviting architects and engineers to use the project as a laboratory. Having a ginormous skyscraper (especially one that looks like this) isn't going to make the kingdom more advanced, and not much more prestigious - but the experience of its design, construction, and operation will hopefully enrich other projects worldwide.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 1:02 AM

i just realized that that scaled drawing of the ESB is really wrong...

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 1:04 AM

^

Hmm, yeah you're right. They completely forgot that that's only up to the 102nd floor. When the mast and antennae is included, it's actually almost as tall as the Petronas Towers.

But of course, antennas don't count, even though they look almost the same as spires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
This is being built for show, I presume?
Essentially, yes. All this really is is a ton of Saudi princes trying to see who's dick is bigger.

Quote:
Is there really a need for this?
Of course not. Not even in India or China... yet.

Quote:
Well, I guess they are putting their oil revenues to good use
You mean "putting OUR money to good use".

Quote:
The rest of the world pays for these vanity projects. The sooner oil runs out the better.
Don't count on it. They've already got more than enough money to build 100 of these suckers.

Quote:
What can you expect from countries run by kings and emirs. After all, a king must have his castle, and his mega yachts, planes, and his ego fulfilled. If this is built, my view of this country will be even lower than it already is. Have fun!
Don't be surprised if some Sheik brings the X-SEED vision out of the attic. Seriously.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 3:21 AM

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 4:17 AM
Seek The Upward Horizon

Mixed feelings about "booster rocket" side towers. If they're gonna do that, the boosters should be a third the total height, and built closer.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 5:07 AM

I say that whole design is utter crap.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2011, 5:40 AM
Website Manager

Hey, I say the Saudi's should go for it! Just glad this thing isn't being built in my country.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction