HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
I guess they can still market it as the tallest residential tower in Midtown. Add to it the cache that comes with the design team and maybe that will be enough to sell some units. I guess this was to be expected. With all objectivity, why would Atlanta have one of the country's tallest residential towers and not Miami, SF, LA, or Boston, for example? If those markets don't have a 900' residential building, it seems like it'd be hard to put one in ATL.
For the exact same reason we have/now had the tallest commercial building outside of Manhattan or Chicago for twenty years.

Because we can.

It is the Atlanta Spirit.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
We're not a gateway city like those others, with real estate markets that command the highest premiums. And with construction costs what they are, why would developers build a 900' building in a city with an abundance of available land and virtually no geographic constraints? We get a tall office building once in a while but that's not the same as an almost supertall residential tower. The Atlanta market only seems to command 20-30 story apartment towers. A 74 story condo tower just seems way out of reach for us.
Good points.. but that's just one way to look at it. There has been real desire and demand lately for in town growth in Atlanta, if you look at midtown alone, arguably the most desired location in Atlanta at the moment, it is quickly filling up, and there are constraints surrounding midtown and buckhead for that matter, just not in a traditional sense.. those constraints are low density housing, terrible grid design, and highways. Midtown plots are more limited then ever before, so I do think it is important to fill them up with quality projects.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWNTWN View Post
For the exact same reason we have/now had the tallest commercial building outside of Manhattan or Chicago for twenty years.

Because we can.

It is the Atlanta Spirit.
Exactly, for a city that people don't know much about outside of it, Atlanta has an ability to surprise, just like getting the Olympic's in 96. Whenever friends visit me in Atlanta for the first time, they get amazed at the skyline, its like they had no idea it existed. I guess the lack of expectations for many when they visit is a major reason why they end up getting impressed.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
I guess they can still market it as the tallest residential tower in Midtown. Add to it the cache that comes with the design team and maybe that will be enough to sell some units. I guess this was to be expected. With all objectivity, why would Atlanta have one of the country's tallest residential towers and not Miami, SF, LA, or Boston, for example? If those markets don't have a 900' residential building, it seems like it'd be hard to put one in ATL.
Boston isn't really known for very tall buildings. Actually Boston's skyline doesn't really compare well to Atl. La really doesn't have that many very tall residential building either. Not sure of your point. Atl isn't some 2nd rate place that only gets scraps that other cities don't want. And I don't want to be Miami either. Where all the condos building are empty, And no street activity.

Midtown skyline will add more and more. Including a 900'. Give it time. I like the building. Don't love it. But it's a nice addition. And will still be a nice postcard.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 12:41 AM

The crane for modera Buckhead is starting to go up. They got the base in place

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
The crane for modera Buckhead is starting to go up. They got the base in place

Buckhead is quietly creating a small, seamless walkable node with comparably or even more shops than the busiest parts of midtown.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
I agree the location is perfect for a prominent skyscraper, but I didn't find the design of Opus 2 to be fitting of Atlanta's most recognizable skyscraper. However, this site is massive and still perfectly capable of fitting another larger tower in the future. We shall see.

I just want more places to live and visit in Atlanta.
I guess maybe I just saw this building's design differently than most. To me its simplistic square shape all the way to the top was bold and classic, rather than gimmicky and trendy. It had a masculine edge, where 1138 Peachtree and Sovereign (the two most recent larger projects) both had a more feminine vibe going for them (in my opinion).

Not saying one is necessarily better than the other, just that the presence of this style of building would have been a nice imposing addition to the Midtown skyline (at the 900'+ height).

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
I guess maybe I just saw this building's design differently than most. To me its simplistic square shape all the way to the top was bold and classic, rather than gimmicky and trendy. It had a masculine edge, where 1138 Peachtree and Sovereign (the two most recent larger projects) both had a more feminine vibe going for them (in my opinion).

Not saying one is necessarily better than the other, just that the presence of this style of building would have been a nice imposing addition to the Midtown skyline (at the 900'+ height).
I agree, I thought the design was great.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWNTWN View Post
The hotel comments are absurd on their face, since the hotel was always supposed to be part of the second tower. This tower was supposed to be corporate suites with condos on top. They talked a lot about how much of a need there was for short term corporate rentals when they gave their sales pitch.
Extended stay corporate suites can be/are effectively run as a hotel. Many (if not all) national hotel brands offer extended stay lines. So the comments are not absurd, it is reasonable to question the stability of this project.

That isn't to imply that just because they're not moving forward with the corporate suites that they won't move forward, but I have to imagine it is going to be very difficult to get the required sales (~180ish) at $1,000 / SF considering the sales (and resale) pace of other high end condo deals in the city. But maybe I'm totally wrong and they get a high number of international people looking to park money in US real estate. Just don't see Atlanta as that type of market.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Atlanta
1315 Peachtree Street, NE
Atlanta, Georgia 30309
t +1 (404) 873-2300
f +1 (404) 892-5823
@perkinswill_ATL

I called left a message and put on facebook and twitter...
So you're complaining to the architect because the developer's deal with a hotel fell through?....right.....

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_J View Post
Extended stay corporate suites can be/are effectively run as a hotel. Many (if not all) national hotel brands offer extended stay lines. So the comments are not absurd, it is reasonable to question the stability of this project.

That isn't to imply that just because they're not moving forward with the corporate suites that they won't move forward, but I have to imagine it is going to be very difficult to get the required sales (~180ish) at $1,000 / SF considering the sales (and resale) pace of other high end condo deals in the city. But maybe I'm totally wrong and they get a high number of international people looking to park money in US real estate. Just don't see Atlanta as that type of market.
Keep doubting Atl... when people show up here, they are utterly surprised at the ridiculous skyline. Atl is that type of market. You'll see. I like the doubters. It makes it even better when you see the cranes going up in the sky. International folks have dumped money in Miami condo market for years. And got completely burned. So the markets that you typically see as "that type of market " aren't really doing well either.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 3:12 PM

Opus

Just saw this Ad in the ABC

Footer Add from ABC

You can't really access the site beyon the Intro page but here is the link...
http://opusplaceatlanta.com/#

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 3:41 PM

That height is exaggerated. No way a 53 story condo tower is as tall as a 50 story office tower. And a good chunk of OAC's height comes from its crown. And it looks like it sits on the other side of the site now.

But if that ad is to be believed, it would be a pretty good final product.

Last edited by Pemgin; Feb 2, 2017 at 4:23 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLontheRISE View Post
Boston isn't really known for very tall buildings. Actually Boston's skyline doesn't really compare well to Atl. La really doesn't have that many very tall residential building either. Not sure of your point. Atl isn't some 2nd rate place that only gets scraps that other cities don't want. And I don't want to be Miami either. Where all the condos building are empty, And no street activity.

Midtown skyline will add more and more. Including a 900'. Give it time. I like the building. Don't love it. But it's a nice addition. And will still be a nice postcard.
I like you passion for Atlanta. But some of your points are off.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 5:13 PM
BANNED

Buckhead Construction Update

1000 Park Avenue - Almost above ground

Hanover Buckhead Village

309 East Paces - Quickest conversion ever!!!

Hanover East Paces - These turned out much nicer than the renderings.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Buckhead Construction Update

309 East Paces - Quickest conversion ever!!!

They utilized Sto-wall panels with a thin- brick facade and expedite the facade construction. The Anderson windows are being installed from the inside (in lieu of erecting scaffolding or lifts) which also saves on some labor cost/ time.

The biggest design challenge is to make the seams "disappear" and making sure the thin-brick returns properly at window openings. There's a lot of detailing and design coordination to make it look "right" on the front end but overall it speeds up construction time.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 6:17 PM

Y'all should check out the webcam of the Coda site, there is something satisfying about watching them excavate the whole block... http://codatechsquare.com/building/

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 6:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by krownroyale View Post
Y'all should check out the webcam of the Coda site, there is something satisfying about watching them excavate the whole block... http://codatechsquare.com/building/
Now that's a webcam!!! Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Now that's a webcam!!! Thanks for sharing.
Wish we had more of these ..Oxblue kind sucks IMO. Does anyone have a list of cams for other projects???

Thanks

Old Posted Feb 2, 2017, 7:06 PM
Sustainable urbanism

Quote:
That height is exaggerated. No way a 53 story condo tower is as tall as a 50 story office tower. And a good chunk of OAC's height comes from its crown. And it looks like it sits on the other side of the site now.

But if that ad is to be believed, it would be a pretty good final product.
The rendering is a little exaggerated. However, No. 2 OPUS will be slightly taller than 1180, though 1180's base elevation is a little higher.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations