HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 1:22 AM

i wonder if it will be like the smaller one in West Vancouver than - that building doesn't look that big - it will also have Winners and Save-On-Foods in it - which are pretty big on their own

does anyone know whats going on with main and 12th next to the church? looks like something is going in there

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 2:46 AM
GT Champion

Noticed there is a Mandarina Duck opening in Edmonton (WEM), not sure ive seen one elsewhere in Canada, seemed pretty popular in Europe and Asia though. le occitane en provence is opening next to that as well.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
i wonder if it will be like the smaller one in West Vancouver than - that building doesn't look that big - it will also have Winners and Save-On-Foods in it - which are pretty big on their own
After Home Depot did not get the rezoning for the Arbutus site, they opted for leasing space for their "boutique store" in this already-approved project. None of the backlash associated with "retailer-specific" protests.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanE View Post
Noticed there is a Mandarina Duck opening in Edmonton (WEM), not sure ive seen one elsewhere in Canada, seemed pretty popular in Europe and Asia though. le occitane en provence is opening next to that as well.

l'occitaine is great

their one soap is so good

they used to use it on delta airlines - they still might - it made the bathroom on their smell so good

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 6:19 PM

[QUOTE=officedweller;2632409]Ah, but lots of downtown folk who actually cook still run out to the Real Canadian Superstore, Safeway or Save-on-Foods to do their big ticket grocery shopping and save the expensive downtown stores for the basics on the way to and from work. I know, it's sad when Safeway and Save-on-Foods are the cheaper option....
[QUOTE]

We do a lot of our shopping at Chinatown T+T - as a green grocer, you can't beat it with selection, and other things I have found by surprise to be very inexpensive (like balsalmic vinegar and olive oil).

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 9:31 PM

I tend to do my shopping late at night and T&T doesn't open late (as far as I know).

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 9:35 PM

i find meat really cheap at T&T and asian grocery stores in general

maybe because the portions are smaller

its much better when cooking for one

Old Posted Feb 15, 2007, 9:36 PM

Don't quote me on this, but I think T+T chinatown is open until 10pm most nights (recent change).

as well, their deli foods (good quality sushi, hot foods, sandwiches) are discounted in the evening, with the discounts getting better as time goes on before closing. However, downtown students also know about this and the counter is a traffic jam by ~7pm. Good food for a late supper or lunch for the enxt day....

Old Posted Feb 16, 2007, 9:11 PM

I'll have to check it out.

Holt Renfrew Vancouver pics Feb 16th, 2007.
Almost looks too much like an office building now.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2007, 4:20 AM

SEPHORA will open at Calgary's Chinook Centre, centre court, across from Banana Republic, early summer 2007. The first of a planned western expansion, expected to include up to 8 stores.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2007, 4:41 AM

nice

sephora was in bankruptcy or something not too long ago

it will do amazing business out west - there isn't anything like it really

love that store

Old Posted Feb 17, 2007, 9:53 PM
samsonyuen

I wonder (and hope) if they'll open in Toronto Chinatown someday.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2007, 10:07 PM

T&t?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2007, 11:16 PM

in the papers:

H&M arrives in B.C. this fall

B.C. is finally going to get its own H&M store. The Swedish-based chain will open its first B.C. store in Coquitlam Centre this fall. It will carry fashion and accessories for children, men and women. The company's much-sought-after designer styles at domestic prices include exclusive lines by Stella McCartney, Karl Lagerfeld, and Viktor & Rolf. The store's new brand, M by Madonna, debuts next month. To see styles carried, go to hm.com.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/ne...b-ac91cc93d73c

Old Posted Feb 18, 2007, 11:19 PM

Swedish fashion retailer moves into B.C.

Trendy Swedish fashion retailer H&M will open its first B.C. store in Coquitlam Centre this fall -- the first of up to 10 stores it expects to operate throughout Greater Vancouver.

The global chain that sells runway-inspired apparel at affordable prices will operate an 18,000-square-foot store in the mall and is searching for more locations in the region, H&M Canada country manager Lucy van der Wal said in an interview.

"We'd like to have up to eight or 10 stores around Vancouver but it depends on when landlords can give us the locations," she said.

H&M -- with more than 1,300 stores in 24 countries posting combined sales of $10.4 billion last year -- entered the Canadian market in 2004 and currently operates 19 stores in Ontario and seven in Quebec. It plans to open two new Alberta stores this spring.

H&M sells clothing and accessories for women, men, teens and children at affordable prices.

Its current Canadian catalogue shows women's shoes priced from $35, a $40 purse, $8 sunglasses and dresses priced from $40 to $50. Men's watches range from $30 to $60, a leather tie sells for $15 and a dress shirt costs $25.

One of the chain's hottest global sellers is a five-pack of men's black socks that costs about $7, van der Wal said.

H&M buys a major portion of its clothes from Asian manufacturers and van der Wal said the 60-year-old company has a lot of experience in cutting costs.

"It's the volume," she said. "We buy a lot of merchandise and have very few middlemen."

H&M also drives sales by collaborating with celebrity designers like Karl Lagerfeld, Stella McCartney and Viktor & Rolf. Pop icon Madonna will bring a fashion line to H&M stores this spring -- the "M by Madonna" collection.

Madonna designed a track suit for H&M last year and she was featured in company advertising. Her crew wore H&M-designed clothes backstage during her 2006 Confessions tour.

Van der Wal said H&M appeals to a wide range of consumers but the biggest buying group consists of "high-fashion, trendy" women between the ages of 18 and 35. She predicts the store will do very well in the Vancouver market,

"We have experience all over the world and fashion is global," she said. "We see a similarity in Vancouver with other big European cities so I think we'll do very, very well there.

"The fashion level in Vancouver is quite high."

Vancouver retail consultant Phil Boname said many Canadian shoppers are price conscious now, regardless of their personal incomes, so H&M stores should do well in the right markets.

Thomas Consultants Inc. president Ian Thomas said H&M has clearly emerged as one of the "darling" new retail concepts in the world.

"They're not a Luis Vuitton or Burberry type of [ultra high-end] brand," he said. "But they're a brand that allows people to be at the leading edge of fashion at affordable prices.

"I can't think of any locations they've gone to where they haven't been an unprecedented success. I don't see why B.C. would be any different."

Thomas said the average H&M store -- with 15,000 square feet to 20,000 square feet of selling space -- is significantly larger than most fashion stores so they offer a wider, more diverse assortment of merchandise.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...ac4e17&k=18860

Old Posted Feb 18, 2007, 11:56 PM

Shoe giant eyes Calgary market

High-flying GEOX shoes may not let users walk on water, but they're putting the boots to the once staid Canadian footwear scene.

And now the rapidly expanding manufacturer and retailer is eyeing the Calgary market for further growth in its march across the country.

In a short three-year time span, the Italian-designed shoes with the unique breathability soles have gained a substantial foothold with fashion-conscious Canadians.

Most of the 250,000 pairs sold so far have been through high-end retailers although GEOX has four of its own concept stores, a pair each in Toronto and Montreal.

"We use our own stores as laboratories in a sense. If the shoes work well there then we can say to other retailers they should take a look," said Gino Stinziani, the head of GEOX Canada.

GEOX is opening three more of its own stores, another in both Toronto and Montreal and a first in Vancouver, on Robson Street.

After that Calgary is the next target.

"Certainly we are looking seriously at Calgary, it is a growing market," said Stinziani. "We are now looking at various mall locations."

However, the city's booming retail sector comes with some downside.

High rental costs and the difficulty of getting staff are issues Stinziani says GEOX is having to deal with in planning a move to the city.

GEOX has been a worldwide phenomenon since its launch in Italy 10 years ago. So much so it now ranks third in brand popularity on the planet.

The brand boasts an exclusive technology that uses a perforated membrane which acts as a second skin inside the shoe's rubber sole.

This membrane manages sweat and heat allowing humidity to evaporate, keep water out and keeping the feet dry.

In short, this stops the feet sweating and then smelling.

Stinziani became a believer when he saw the success of the shoes while on an anniversary trip to Italy with his wife several years ago.

"They didn't have too many plans for Canada and as I was already in the shoe business I approached them," he said.

Now growth here is outstripping the U.S.

"The breathability makes a point of difference with the footwear. It's a fact feet sweat therefore if you keep them dry you are more comfortable.

"Now we see another great opportunity in Calgary."

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Business/2007...42925-sun.html

Old Posted Feb 19, 2007, 8:37 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
the one across the border in bellingham is now open 24 hours year round - it just started those hours this past summer

its weird almost all the grocery stores in bellingham are open 24 horus yet there are only a handful of 24 hour ones here in vancouver

I can't think of any grocery stores that are 24/7 still in Vancouver............SuperValu on Davie is now only open 6 AM to 2 AM..........kinda BUNK if you ask me.....

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 12:44 AM

crazy

i like how they have people follow you around in super value if you go late at night

last time me and two friends went and this guy followed us around the whole time - he even offered to unlock the cheese if we needed some - he wasn't dressed as an employee at all

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 12:47 AM

OH THERE was also something on the news, CTV i think, the other day about how there is such a shortage of workers that we can expect in Vancouver that things will be closed more often now that once were 24 hours such as gas stations, corner stores, cafes due to the labour shortage

Old Posted Feb 20, 2007, 1:19 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

Quote:
OH THERE was also something on the news, CTV i think, the other day about how there is such a shortage of workers that we can expect in Vancouver that things will be closed more often now that once were 24 hours such as gas stations, corner stores, cafes due to the labour shortage
yup it is a big concern.

can anyone familiar with Vancouver and Calgary/Edmonton let us know are there as many 24/7 operations in Alberta as there is in Vancouver?

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada