HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 6:04 PM
The Vomit Bag.

"He [Trump] sold his shamelessness as fearlessness and his charlatanism as charisma, and people believed"
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/18/b...l?mcubz=3&_r=0

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 6:14 PM

Just posting this here because we need more voices like this: somebody who voted for Trump based on positions that many of us could be sympathetic to, but expresses regret for doing so.

What Krein failed to do - and it's a forgivable mistake - is that he chose a candidate based on the attractiveness of his promises, not on any evidence that Trump could actually keep those promises.

For most of us, it was pretty clear that Trump lacked the leadership skills, judgement skills or experience to do even a third of what he promised he could do - some of which was laudable. They say you shouldn't judge politicians by their character, but on their policies. But, actually, you should. An arrogant egomaniac who has no record of accomplishing much except pissing off a lot of people and sowing controversy is probably not the person who can push a complex agenda through.

Krein's mistake is the same mistake a lot of people make in interviews that cost them the job. Telling the hiring manager about things they can do for the company, without providing any evidence from their past experience that they are capable of carrying out that task. You can't even get a job at Wendy's if you don't demonstrate past experience. Too bad an election is not a job interview.

Quote:
I Voted for Trump. And I Sorely Regret It.

by Julius Krein, Aug 17 2017 (Original Article)

When Donald Trump first announced his presidential campaign, I, like most people, thought it would be a short-lived publicity stunt. A month later, though, I happened to catch one of his political rallies on C-Span. I was riveted.

I supported the Republican in dozens of articles, radio and TV appearances, even as conservative friends and colleagues said I had to be kidding. As early as September 2015, I wrote that Mr. Trump was “the most serious candidate in the race.” Critics of the pro-Trump blog and then the nonprofit journal that I founded accused us of attempting to “understand Trump better than he understands himself.” I hoped that was the case. I saw the decline in this country — its weak economy and frayed social fabric — and I thought Mr. Trump’s willingness to move past partisan stalemates could begin a process of renewal.

It is now clear that my optimism was unfounded. I can’t stand by this disgraceful administration any longer, and I would urge anyone who once supported him as I did to stop defending the 45th president.

. . .

Last edited by Xelebes; Aug 18, 2017 at 6:47 PM. Reason: trimmed for copyright reasons

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 6:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It's time for America to give Trump the Apprentice treatment.

"Mr Trump - You're FIRED!!!!

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 6:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
Wrong. The counter-protestors had a permit.
...for a couple of other parks. But they hung out at the entrance of the park where the White Supremacists headed. I'm pretty sure that the city can't grant permits for two protests at the same place at the same time so the counter protesters got permits for nearby places so they could have an excuse to be in the area.

None the less, I did not know that.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
What Krein failed to do - and it's a forgivable mistake - is that he chose a candidate based on the attractiveness of his promises, not on any evidence that Trump could actually keep those promises.
Obviously, but it's not like there were tons of other candidates to pick from including some who were making the same attractive promises AND had the résumé/credentials to show they were likely to be able to keep them AND had a chance of being elected.

As a voter, especially in non-direct systems like Canada and the U.S. where often the one and only actual thing your vote does is help send a message through the post-election tally, it's important to send the right message by voting for policy you like and support, and avoiding casting your vote for policy you dislike and don't support.

So if you have a binary choice between casting your vote for an idiot with policies you like, and a honorable person with policies you dislike, I wouldn't recommend the latter, as it would be sending the wrong message to the political class as a citizen. (Personally, I probably wouldn't do the former either, out of principle; rather, I'd vote for a third party I like.)

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM5 View Post
...for a couple of other parks. But they hung out at the entrance of the park where the White Supremacists headed. I'm pretty sure that the city can't grant permits for two protests at the same place at the same time so the counter protesters got permits for nearby places so they could have an excuse to be in the area.

From the article:

Quote:
In addition, Dickler of the city of Charlottesville said that counter-protesters would have been permitted even outside of the two park locations specified in the permit. "A permit does not bar other individuals from entry to a public park (such as Emancipation Park), nor does it restrict who can be on streets or sidewalks outside of and/or adjacent to the park."

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
It's time for America to give Trump the Apprentice treatment.

"Mr Trump - You're FIRED!!!!
He'd resign before being impeached, in some contrived circumstance that he could proclaim made him a "winner".

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^more "fresh air" from that fascist and his deplorable administration.
Oh I'm sure geotag will be along any minute to explain how perfectly reasonable this invasion of privacy would be.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 10:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
From the article:
I wasn't questioning that, because how could they logically get to their protest location if they weren't allowed outside of it. In fact, the white supremacists were outside of the statue park location when the counter protesters confronted them and after the struggle to get to it, the cops canceled their event because of the prior confrontation. The counter protesters knew where to wait for the WS' because the police cordoned off some of the other entrances to the park.

Police trickery level 01: not worthy of outrage. Frankly it shows how naive the WS' are.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 11:00 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM5 View Post

Those sneaky anti-fascists, trying to counter-protest GODDAMN NAZIS. Do you hear yourself?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 11:02 PM
Registered Drug User

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 11:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
It may be coincidental, but I've noticed that you value following procedures and rules over adhering to some underlying morality.

For example, the white supremacists have the wrong morals: ultimately, they want to subjugate - and perhaps even annihilate - people of colour in the United States. But they applied for a marching permit, and the counter-protesters, whose position is that the white supremacists are wrong (their counter-position isn't to subjugate or kill white people) didn't, so, in your view, the counter-protesters were in the wrong.

Same with your position on the Confederate states. The Confederacy was all about owning human beings as property, not based on the traditional debt slavery with the right to manumission of ancient times (also morally wrong, but not quite so morally wrong), but a pseudo-scientific belief in racial inferiority that was already morally reprehensible in the 1850s. But, as you posit, because the North attacked them when they threatened to secede, they had the right to defend themselves, and the South had a legitimate fight on their hands.

If we try to be as objective (impossible, but we should try), certain human rights are universal and sacrosanct. Human beings are not inferior based on a pseudo-scientific concept; killing or subjugating other people based on your belief in that person's inferiority is also wrong. I don't think these things can be contested. If groups believe these to be true, they are wrong. Laws and procedures are supposed to exist in the service of preserving those human rights, not the other way around. So you are prioritizing the wrong thing.

That's a red herring. Judaism/anti-semitism isn't what's at issue in Charlottesville.
Really good post, it took some thought and soul searching for me to reply. I will attempt to show you how I apply moral criteria to the issues you're describing.

I place higher value on actions than words and am a strong believer in freedom of speech exactly because it gives crazies an avenue to vent. What's more disappointing to an extremist is not when some shout him down or attack him - extremists thrive on that - rather when after they air their ideas, there are no new people that quietly join their cause, no-one to back them up. White Supremacists say that they hate jews and blacks and whoever, but they don't in fact do anything about it and when they do, they go to jail or are executed. Laws are in place to prevent their hateful words from turning into actions. The actual action we're talking about here (which, once again takes precedence in my books) is removing monuments, which I disagree with along with apparently 62% of US citizens. I think the melee was set up by the cops with the aim of finding a reason to cancel the lawful protest and no side is more at fault than the other. The car attack was horrific and the driver should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Regarding slavery, ancient slavery was by and large NOT debt slavery. It started with using prisoners of war as manual labour until peace broke out, when raiding parties would need to be organised precisely for looting and slave collection from neighboring tribes. Debt slavery was not uncommon as well and at times may have been a form of charity when the "slave" could no longer look after him/her self.

That having been said, I agree that the slavery practiced in the Confederacy was worse, precisely because moral judgement by then prevented most "others" from becoming slaves. In fact I agree with the North's reason for invasion as well as with the results of the war. The North's other justifications for war were not exactly justifiable but ending slavery was the deciding factor and the reprehensible practice of slavery was indeed ended. I see actions as needing to be balanced, overreactions will have negative consequences - there are many examples throughout history. In this case, the reconciliation was mostly amicable and the US of today reflects the shared culture of both sides. Reunification would have been impossible without this.

As for your last paragraph, I agree that we today can see clearly that this is true, but only a few centuries ago your life often depended on discrimination and being able to quickly tell who is different from you. This truth stretches back into evolutionary time and indeed animals discriminate this way. Getting past this is no small feat and slavery in the US was just one holdover.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 2:22 AM
sick transit, gloria

EDIT: nvm, not worth it

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
He'd resign before being impeached, in some contrived circumstance that he could proclaim made him a "winner".
What would he be impeached for?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigonish View Post
We don't know yet. However, my comment was in reaction to a suggestion that he be "fired".

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 3:29 AM

I'm starting to think that he's going to resign...

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 4:45 PM
Calgary Martindale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antigonish View Post
The Russian connections. Follow the money.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 4:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader View Post
The Russian connections. Follow the money.
Indeed. Obstruction of justice is an impeachable offensive, and Trump is at least guilty of that.........

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Indeed. Obstruction of justice is an impeachable offensive, and Trump is at least guilty of that.........
Not yet, although there is no impediment to Congress saying he is, afaik. Not that the Republicans are ready to go there (yet?).

Old Posted Aug 19, 2017, 6:02 PM
Calgary Martindale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Not yet, although there is no impediment to Congress saying he is, afaik. Not that the Republicans are ready to go there (yet?).
My short thesis, and I'm neither a lawyer nor have expertise on matters constitutional:

1/ Trumps current wealth primarily comes from Russian oligarchs, post glasnost. This includes organized Russian crime. The structure of money movement designed for plausible deniability.

2/ Trumps' Russian love affair, at the beginning, all about the money morphed into being compromised by Putins superiority at chess.

3/ Trump has 2 loves - money and attention. Attention trumped money thus his run for President. Blindsided that his financial transgressions would haunt him.

4/ If Putin has Trumps balls in his hand and can squeeze at will then the President is no longer fit to lead. He's compromised.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada