Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
Shots fired at a Mosque in Ste-Foy, at least 4 dead and 11 injured
fuck

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 2:32 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
The inauguration lie serves a purpose when it comes to arguments. If you show the facts and establish beyond a shadow of a doubt that the lies about the inauguration are lies, then you simply need to cite this in the future as incontrovertible truth that Trump is a liar.

The man lied about something for which we have photographic evidence. How can you trust anything he says if he'd be so idiotic as to lie about something that we can all plainly see is a lie?

Nailing this one down when the morons repeat Trump's lie will be useful for the next four years. It's a strategic thing, is what I'm saying.
Strategy? Really? You really think this will yield some type of advantage against him? He lied during the campaign. There was "grab em by the pussy", there was making fun of a disabled reporter... all of which barely made a dent in his armour.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 2:53 AM
Registered Drug User

It's possible to write a quick internet post refuting a lie while still keeping abreast and thinking about other issues.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
fuck
"At least 5 dead" it seems.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
Shots fired at a Mosque in Ste-Foy, at least 4 dead and 11 injured
Tragic and strangely eerie in light of the discussion about Quebecs seeming indifference to Trump's bigotry.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Geotag and I have never been big fans of each other on this forum but I wouldn't say he is a knuckledragger. And he probably would not say the same of me.
Pffft! Calling the other side names means you're conceding they have good points. Geotag is most definitely no knuckledragger.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Tragic and strangely eerie in light of the discussion about Quebecs seeming indifference to Trump's bigotry.
Would be interesting to see you elaborate, because I would tend to draw the opposite conclusion as yours (actually, it's pretty sure that the one and only good conclusion is that this is a lone nut's work anyway, but I'm assuming that one decides to nonetheless draw one).

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Would be interesting to see you elaborate, because I would tend to draw the opposite conclusion as yours (actually, it's pretty sure that the one and only good conclusion is that this is a lone nut's work anyway, but I'm assuming that one decides to nonetheless draw one).
It's not the time to be making assumptions, but considering how there are two suspects arrested and a third sought, that's not a good one to make.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Not a nice thing to say, but the thought also crossed my mind. It also seems that many of the largest hate driven massacres in Canada have been in Quebec.

I am not trying to troll, and actually want someone to show me that they are indeed evenly spread across the country. It is just the ones that popped into my mind upon hearing this news.

Seriously though, fucking embarrassing for Canada at this moment. Hang these turds.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 3:42 AM

There have been a number of recent media reports in both French and English about the formation of far-right and anti-Islamic groups in Quebec City.

Just as an example, here is one from the CBC from a few weeks ago:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...ight-1.3919964

We don't know yet who was behind the attack but we know that there have been many threats made to Muslims in Quebec City.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 3:45 AM

Fox News report on Quebec City mosque shooting. Local media are reporting one of the suspects possessed an AK-47.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/01...ty-mosque.html

Story with photos and video footage from a Quebec City newspaper. It's in French...hopefully someone can give a quick translation.

http://www.lapresse.ca/le-soleil/jus...#Slide-0-box-0

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
It's not the time to be making assumptions, but considering how there are two suspects arrested and a third sought, that's not a good one to make.
Maybe there was something lost in translation in my post, but just because there are two or three people involved doesn't mean they aren't "lone nuts". The Columbine High School shooters were two. So were the Boston marathon bombers. Being alone or being two isn't a differentiating factor.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 3:47 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Not a nice thing to say, but the thought also crossed my mind. It also seems that many of the largest hate driven massacres in Canada have been in Quebec.
Well, there haven't been that many hate-driven massacres in Canada, unless you count being pissed off at cops, pissed off at work colleagues, pissed off at family members, pissed off at a rival gang...

But yeah, Polytechnique was a biggie and a hate crime against women.

And this one looks like it's a hate crime against Muslims, from what we can see so far.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Maybe there was something lost in translation in my post, but just because there are two or three people involved doesn't mean they aren't "lone nuts". The Columbine High School shooters were two. So were the Boston marathon bombers. Being alone or being two isn't a differentiating factor.
Ah, ok. I get that. Generally "lone" in terms of shooting is used to refer to a "lone wolf", a single shooter who is self-radicalized. This seems more like a coordinated attack. Doesn't matter.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 3:52 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

One thing that will come out if the hate crime theory is confirmed is, though it's not widely known in the rest of the country, Quebec City is ground zero for trash talk radio. Known in French as "radio poubelle".

These radio stations do not necessarily spout overtly racist stuff, but they're pretty borderline and nasty in their views.

I'd expect them to come under the microscope a lot more in the wake of this tragic event.

Quote:
Well, there haven't been that many hate-driven massacres in Canada, unless you count being pissed off at cops, pissed off at work colleagues, pissed off at family members, pissed off at a rival gang...

But yeah, Polytechnique was a biggie and a hate crime against women.

And this one looks like it's a hate crime against Muslims, from what we can see so far.
Yeah, Polytechnique was the one I was thinking of.

Who are these fucks though? Like seriously. I cannot even attempt to try and understand the desire to actually kill people like this.

The only silver lining I could see coming of this is maybe stopping an American style rise of Trump like politics in its tracks before it even really takes off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
Ah, ok. I get that. Generally "lone" in terms of shooting is used to refer to a "lone wolf", a single shooter who is self-radicalized. This seems more like a coordinated attack. Doesn't matter.
Again, I'm not claiming I'm the one of us who has the nomenclature right, but I would not hesitate to call the Columbine shooters "two lone wolves". Maybe I'm wrong and the term's typical usage is indeed limited to single shooters, but I feel the concept should also apply to a duo or trio of self-radicalized people who decide on a more or less spontaneous rampage.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 4:00 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
If there is anything that this might possibly say about Quebec's view of Trump and how it differs from that in the rest of the country, it's that given that people here weren't living it as *directly* with Americans, that they may be more desensitized to the "dangers of Trumpism" than other Canadians.

Anyway, those are my initial reactions.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 4:02 AM

CTV says its the same mosque where a pigs head was left sometime last year

Old Posted Jan 30, 2017, 4:04 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Again, I'm not claiming I'm the one of us who has the nomenclature right, but I would not hesitate to call the Columbine shooters "two lone wolves". Maybe I'm wrong and the term's typical usage is indeed limited to single shooters, but I feel the concept should also apply to a duo or trio of self-radicalized people who decide on a more or less spontaneous rampage.
If it indeed is what it appears to be, it's a Breivik thing, if we are looking for comparisons. The only difference is that two(?) Quebec City Breiviks found each other and acted together.

Breivik was alone. In Oklahoma City there were four.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada