HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 2:38 AM

Starbuck's global expansion started here (vancouver)

Quote:
A small kiosk at the SeaBus terminal in 1987 was the Seattle-based Starbucks' first international venture

Twenty years ago this week, Starbucks opened its first Vancouver coffee bar in a small kiosk in the SeaBus terminal on Cordova Street.

Today there are 238 Starbucks outlets throughout the Lower Mainland -- a third of all Canadian stores. Even Starbucks chairman Howard Schultz is surprised by that number.

"If somebody told me we'd have that many stores in Vancouver, I'd have said probably not because it sounds like a lot to me," he said in a telephone interview Monday from Starbucks headquarters in Seattle.

"But that number is linked to demand. Our customers vote every day and when we think our stores are getting too busy, we tend to open more stores."

The global coffee giant -- with more than 13,000 stores in 40 countries -- wants to operate 40,000 stores, probably within the next decade, so expect even more Vancouver-area green-white-and-black Starbucks mermaid logos in the future.

"I don't have a specific number but clearly we're not finished in Vancouver," Schultz said.

The 53-year-old Brooklyn-raised entrepreneur, who bought the small Seattle coffee business in 1987 and guided its transformation into a retail juggernaut that expects to post more than $9 billion US in sales this year, will visit Vancouver this week to celebrate Starbucks' 20th anniversary in the city.

He said Vancouver holds a special place in Starbucks' history because it was the site of the company's first non-Seattle store and its success here paved the way for global expansion.

"Vancouver was very, very critical because if Vancouver failed, I think we would have had a difficult time raising future money from outside investors, who were looking to see whether or not Starbucks could succeed outside Seattle," Schultz said.

"I'm not sure where we'd be today if Vancouver hadn't worked."

Starbucks officials correctly predicted that Vancouver's sophisticated coffee-food-wine culture would embrace the concept of high-end coffee at high-end prices. But Schultz said few at the time would have guessed the city would eagerly patronize Starbucks stores across the street from each other.

The company opened a store at the southwest corner of Robson and Thurlow in 1988 and less than three years later, opened another store at the northeast corner of the same intersection.

"I'm not sure any other retailer in the world would have had the courage, or perhaps the stupidity, to do something like that," Schultz said. "We were just so busy with that first store. It was undersized and then an opportunity came up [across the street] so we just said: 'Let's do it.' "

Starbucks made international headlines this past weekend when a leaked Schultz memo to company executives -- warning about the "commoditization" of the Starbucks experience -- was posted on the Internet. The company has confirmed its authenticity.

Schultz wouldn't discuss the memo Monday but it speaks for itself, noting there has been a "watering down" of the Starbucks experience due to a series of decisions made to facilitate rapid growth over the past decade.
rest of article here: http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...f-80bfdf2a8036

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 4:19 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

thanks!

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 4:33 AM

i didn't realize the corner of starbucks and starbucks was so old

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 4:52 AM

wow.....so a city of 2.2 million holds 1.8% of the world's Starbucks locations. not bad.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 4:58 AM

and its suppost top grow...

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 5:36 AM

thats unreal, I knew Vancouver had alot of starbucks, but 1/3 of the country's starbucks and 1/15th the population?? crazy. I wonder how many starbucks would be somewhere like New York... or seattle for that matter.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
thats unreal, I knew Vancouver had alot of starbucks, but 1/3 of the country's starbucks and 1/15th the population?? crazy. I wonder how many starbucks would be somewhere like New York... or seattle for that matter.
There's a little over 150 locations in Manhattan.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 4:17 PM
Round Head

wow, something to be really proud of?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 4:27 PM

^ Yes and no... its better than timmies.

At least there are alot of smaller and indipendent coffee shops in vancouver too, its not all corporate hedgemony!

Old Posted Mar 1, 2007, 5:22 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Finding out how many Starbucks are in a given city is incredibly easy. Go to starbucks.com and use the store locator.

With great indies in Vancouver I would never step inside a Starbucks there, but even the most ardent SB hater has to admit that JJ Bean and its ilk came AFTER the Starbucks invasion.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 5:03 AM

i don't even drink coffee but i do like to grab a chai soy latte when i go for a walk at english bay

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 6:51 AM

I would find my way to one of the several Caffe Artigiano before going into Starbucks.

Using Furry's suggestion, Starbucks.com shows 219 within 50 miles of Vancouver.

I was surprised to see there are 70 in Calgary now (and likely more Timmies still ;-)

Old Posted Mar 2, 2007, 9:37 AM

The company opened a store at the southwest corner of Robson and Thurlow in 1988 and less than three years later, opened another store at the northeast corner of the same intersection.

I'm confused with this. The brick one(northeast) was opened in '88 and the glass one(southwest) was opened after '94. I remember 'cause the Stanley Cup Riot was in front of the empty lot. There was never a Starbucks on the southwest before '94. I know because I used to go to a little pizza place called Pizzaricos that was right there.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 8:16 AM

no there was a starbucks there - across the street from the other one - i think it was slightly to the west if not the exact corner

there was a bunch of dumpy little stores and than that big glass building replaced them all and the sidwalk was made so much wider

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 9:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh white View Post
wow, something to be really proud of?
Yup. REALLY exciting news for Van, especially since (i) as a US company, Starbucks likely repatriates most profits back south of the border, and (ii) doesn't even brew a particularly good cup of coffee...

Must be a slow news day...

Last edited by Hourglass; Mar 3, 2007 at 10:07 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion