HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 5:26 AM
BANNED

Can you imagine if this happened to Shangri-La?

Can you imagine if this would've happened to Shangri-La during excavation?!!!

A wall collapsed at this excavation site in Dubai and water from an adjacent Marina poured into the excavation and turned the hole into a huge swimming pool. Note the crane sticking out of the water.

I don't think the Shangri-La people in Toronto want to look at this

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 5:34 AM

^ that's freakin awesome. so much for their artificial waterways!

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 1:24 PM
PET ZOO CREW 4 LIFE

at least they gained a new bay

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 2:14 PM
:: slurrey.com ::

Epic Lol

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 2:42 PM
BANNED

Question

Why did you post this in the British Columbia section if you are talking about the Shangri-La in Toronto? It is especially confusing since a Shangri-La is also being built in Vancouver.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Why did you post this in the British Columbia section if you are talking about the Shangri-La in Toronto? It is especially confusing since a Shangri-La is also being built in Vancouver.
Not to mention that neither project abuts a waterway.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 6:06 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Funny you should post that, it partially happened at the Fairmont site in vancouver. No where near that extent though. While excavating below sea level water found it's way into the site, lucky only a few feet of the site flooded as the rest was above sealevel. They quickly blocked the source of the water and pumped it out. No damages incurred.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 7:35 PM
+

Has Vancouver prepared for the flood once the polar ice caps melt ?

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 7:49 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

I'm not sure something like this would happen to the Shangri-La site in Vancouver, partly because that site's not that close to Coal Harbour or any other body of water. I don't even know if the bottom of the construction site was much below sea level, unless they had to put in deep pilings lest the tower sinks due to its weight, or what the soil and rock makeup is really like under downtown Van. Besides, I think that tower's already long since started going up above ground (how many floors is up to by now?)

The Fairmont Pacific Rim site is right by Coal Harbour, or at least very close to it, which I noticed as I passed by that site while in Vancouver near the end of April. That would explain why it got flooded like jlousa said.

The look on the developer's face as soon as he finds what happened to that site in Dubai? It'd be priceless!

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 7:51 PM

That did happen at the Quay West site a few years ago when it was being excavated.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 8:47 PM
Dig-it

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCentaur View Post
The Fairmont Pacific Rim site is right by Coal Harbour, or at least very close to it, which I noticed as I passed by that site while in Vancouver near the end of April. That would explain why it got flooded like jlousa said.
The look on the developer's face as soon as he finds what happened to that site in Dubai? It'd be priceless!
Maybe the owner of Fairmont: Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal bin Abdulaziz Alsaud, also owns the Dubai site.

[quote=Hed KandiHas Vancouver prepared for the flood once the polar ice caps melt ?]

Interesting you should say that, as when I look at the Convention Center going up during "high tide" it looks like there is about 2 feet of clearance up to the floor.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 11:02 PM
Cheers!

What about that Erickson building near David Lam, at the edge of False Creek? I guess it could happen there, but I'm sure they built that wall pretty solid. I think they have some steal in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi View Post
Has Vancouver prepared for the flood once the polar ice caps melt ?
My understanding is that much of the polar ice is already floating in the sea, so it won't raise the sea level. Maybe that excludes the south. Think of an ice cube in your drink as the polar ice cap... Only ice that drains in from land can raise the level. I learned this on the Discovery channel.

Last edited by agrant; May 14, 2007 at 11:11 PM.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 3:27 AM

i blame towerguy3 for the fire at Shangri-la today. he must've cursed the building or something.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFace View Post
Maybe the owner of Fairmont: Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal bin Abdulaziz Alsaud

This oil-soaked, Saudi dictatorial theocrat doesn't "own" Fairmont. His company, Kingdom Holding Company has invested 3.9 billion in a joint venture with California-based Colony Capital (another investment company). Ain't business swell......

By the way, BC & AB are the only jurisdictions that each have 5 Fairmonts! Eat that Onterrible.....

Last edited by 204; May 15, 2007 at 1:59 PM. Reason: Miscount on the number of Fairmounts....

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 4:47 AM
Dérive-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianCentaur View Post
I'm not sure something like this would happen to the Shangri-La site in Vancouver, partly because that site's not that close to Coal Harbour or any other body of water. I don't even know if the bottom of the construction site was much below sea level, unless they had to put in deep pilings lest the tower sinks due to its weight, or what the soil and rock makeup is really like under downtown Van.
From what I've heard, they hit bedrock... one of the reasons for the Shangri-La's slow excavation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrant View Post
My understanding is that much of the polar ice is already floating in the sea, so it won't raise the sea level. Maybe that excludes the south. Think of an ice cube in your drink as the polar ice cap... Only ice that drains in from land can raise the level. I learned this on the Discovery channel.
You're right that floating ice doesn't raise water levels when it melts, but Antarctica and Greenland are pretty large sources of land-based ice... I'm still worried for Vancouver in the back of my mind.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 7:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrant View Post
What about that Erickson building near David Lam, at the edge of False Creek? I guess it could happen there, but I'm sure they built that wall pretty solid. I think they have some steal in place.
It could definately happen at this site, but rather unlikely. The Erickison building does have water constantly leaking into the excavated site, but they are constantly pumping it out. BTW, they did put in steel surry walls and finished the outer sea wall prior to excavation. They are putting in the first pilings this week.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerguy3 View Post
Can you imagine if this would've happened to Shangri-La during excavation?!!!

A wall collapsed at this excavation site in Dubai and water from an adjacent Marina poured into the excavation and turned the hole into a huge swimming pool. Note the crane sticking out of the water.

I don't think the Shangri-La people in Toronto want to look at this
Amazing photo's. Can't believe someone got that shot!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion