HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian G. View Post
We might equivalently ask, if you support the games, why make the rest of the country pay for them?

I'm glad to live somewhere where you can dissent without being thrown in jail and tortured. While games-boosters might be blinded by ire over this kind of sacrilege (blindness implicit in supporting the games notwithstanding), Beijing's clock won't be vandalized because they would murder whoever did it and sell their organs (note: hyperbole). If you're trying to sell brand Canada, freedom and discourse will be a bigger seller than an undamaged clock.
what the hell is wrong with you? these people vandalized property, period. we arent saying they arent allowed to protest and dissent, etc., we are just against blatant vandalism.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 5:20 AM
Original Member since '99

what a bunch of douche canoes

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 5:50 AM
blog this

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
what the hell is wrong with you? these people vandalized property, period. we arent saying they arent allowed to protest and dissent, etc., we are just against blatant vandalism.
It seems the Olympic protesters have turned much more militant since the Nahanee death. How the Olympics killed her, well you have to be a member of the APC to understand the finer points of that theory ... I'm sure these protests are going to get much worse. Vancouver has an endless supply of blogging lefties with too much time on their hands.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian G. View Post
We might equivalently ask, if you support the games, why make the rest of the country pay for them?

I'm glad to live somewhere where you can dissent without being thrown in jail and tortured. While games-boosters might be blinded by ire over this kind of sacrilege (blindness implicit in supporting the games notwithstanding), Beijing's clock won't be vandalized because they would murder whoever did it and sell their organs (note: hyperbole). If you're trying to sell brand Canada, freedom and discourse will be a bigger seller than an undamaged clock.
hmmm.....lets see......Beijing 2008: over 300,000 evicted from their homes to make way for Olympic venues and faciliies, particularly the "Olympic Green". In addition, over 1,000 suicides as a result of this change in livelihood, even though these people have been moved from slums to new shiny white apartments.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 6:30 AM
nogames2010

Quote:
what the hell is wrong with you?
What the hell is wrong with me? mr.x2 and canadian mind advocate murdering anyone who comes near the clock, and hollywoodnorth revels in Betty Krawczyk's (a 'cunt['s]') death, yet the suggestion that it's not a big deal gets me leapt on? Did SSP turn fascist while I was away? It's fucking spraypaint! (note that fuck is spelled fuck, not f**k).
Quote:
these people vandalized property, period.
No. While I admire your ability to ignore the other side of this, opposition to the olympics has been present from the very start. The vandalism was a political gesture—albeit a crude one. And while Canwest likes to play up this kind of story—to illustrate that everyone who opposes the games is some sort of eco-hippie—there is very little truth to the generalization, so let's not get bogged down in it.

For the record, the RAV line was going to be built anyway—or that's the official story.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 6:46 AM
loafing in lotusland

no offense people... but I mean seriously... it's just a clock.

Sure the vandalism is wrong, but some of you are taking it as a personal insult.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 7:07 AM

Large police presence keeps protesters in check at 2010 flag lighting ceremony
Monday, March 12 - 09:02:28 PM John Ackermann

Vancouver (NEWS1130) - Protesters hoping to disrupt Monday night's lighting of the Olympic flags at City Hall likely left the event feeling a bit disappointed. Not wanting a repeat of last month's countdown clock unveiling, the police presence here was large and quite visible, with a number of officers on horseback and many others at various points keeping watch. A large metal fence also separated protesters from the flags, in fact it seemed demonstrators outnumbered the spectators at the ceremony. Police did report some minor pushing and shoving but not much else, though one protester was arrested on a count of breaching the peace. Incident Commander Inspector John McKay with the VPD said staffing extra officers was clearly the right thing to do. He said, "We had some very grave concerns about the safety of people because the intelligence we had was that some of the activists were going to shut this place down and there was going to be violence. We know that some of the groups will do things, like carry rocks in backpacks, so we had to make sure that everybody here was safe."

Members of the Anti-Poverty Committee tried their best several times to disrupt the festivities, including when Mayor Sam Sullivan addressed the crowd. Sullivan said he was proud to point out Vancouver is the first host city of the Olympic and Paralympic games to have both flags flying together. The ceremony was the last of three 2010 countdown events, and it also marked exactly three years until the Paralymic games. VANOC Chair John Furlong was also at the event as well as BC Sport Minister Stan Hagen and federal Agriculture Minister Chuck Strahl.

Downtown Eastside Residents Association Executive Director Kim Kerr was among the demonstrators and considered the protest a success and a victory against Olympics organizers. He said, "If they want to consider that a photo-op for an Olympics they say the people of BC want, then that's pretty sad." He says that will come across in the TV news footage, unless a way is found to edit out their shouts and chants.

Dignitaries, Spectators and Protestors
Monday, March 12 - 06:51:27 PM John Ackermann

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Among the dignitaries and spectators, protestors have come out to City Hall for the ceremony to light the Olympic and Paralympic flags.

Clutching signs like "No Olympics on Stolen Native Land", a group of 100 protesters marched the north lawn of City Hall, encountering a blue wall of members of the Vancouver Police Department.

A Number of officers can be seen on horseback, many others on the ground, as well as private security guards and a pair of Guardian Angels.

There's also a fenced off area where the flag lighting ceremony is set to begin.

Tonight's incident commander Inspector John McKie says the increased police presence is based on threats made from members of the anti-poverty committee.

This all comes after earlier in the day, someone vandalized the Olympic Countdown Clock, outside the Vancouver Art Gallery.

The stone and wood clock monument has been spray-painted several times with the words "Free Betty".

That apparently refers to recently sentenced protestor Betty Krawczyk, who went to jail over her objection to road construction at Eagleridge Bluffs in West Vancouver. Vancouver Police at the scene say witnesses saw a man spray-painting the clock, before taking off south on Howe Street.

Police have recovered the spray paint can, and they'll be reviewing security video-tapes. The incident comes despite the promise of 24 hour security after the unveiling of the clock was marred by a violent protest.

Olympic flag ceremony in Vancouver gets drowned out by protesters

March 13, 2007 - 0:26

By: ELIANNA LEV
VANCOUVER (CP) - Protesters chanted slogans and used noisemakers to drown out the speeches at a Olympic's flag lighting ceremony in Vancouver.

About 200 people showed up for the city's illumination of the Olympic and Paralympic flags Monday, though most were there to demonstrate against the event.

Those taking in the ceremony - both protesters and supporters - were confined to a fenced-in area and were searched before entering.

The chants and signs of the protesters focused on homelessness and native rights.

About 30 mounted and foot police guarded the area, some videotaping the crowd.

Vancouver police Const. Tim Fanning said two arrests were made for breach of the peace.

He said the ramped up police services at Monday's event wasn't coming out of the Olympic security budget.

Earlier in the day, an Olympic countdown clock was vandalized, despite having 24-hour security.

The stone and wood clock was spray-painted with the words "Free Betty". Last week, environmental activist Betty Krawczyk was sentenced to jail time for protests in May 2006 against highway upgrades for the 2010 Winter Olympics.

John Furlong, chief executive officer of the Vancouver Olympic Games Organizing Committee, said that despite the controversy that surrounds most Games-related ceremonies, the events will carry on.

"Some people would rather that there weren't any Games but we're going to go ahead and do our job," he said.

Patricia Birch came to the flag lighting to watch her son sing in the event's choir.

She said she understands the perspective of the protesters but stressed the issues surrounding the Games are complex.

"Not holding the Olympics would probably not have made any difference to what goes on socially, in fact it may well improve things," she said. "

In February, a ceremony in Vancouver to unveil the countdown clock was crashed when one protester swarmed the stage.

Noisy protesters yell over a speaker at the Illuminate Olympic and Paralympic Flags ceremony in Vancouver, B.C. on Monday evening, March 12,2007. A heavy police presence prevented any disruption of the ceremony. (CP PHOTO/Sam Leung)

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 7:20 AM
Blazed Member - Citygater

I'm actually looking for Betty's grave site so I can dig her up........and make sweet sweet love to her corpse

Don't worry ya'll I will film it and put it up on Youtube for all to see

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
I'm actually looking for Betty's grave site so I can dig her up........and make sweet sweet love to her corpse

That's a bit harsh. I'm actually quite a bit more understanding that they're doing it for revenge over a deceased loved one rather than some free loader trying to get what he wants by screwing us all over.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 7:35 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Those guys look pretty damn white, which begs the question if all of BC is stolen native land... where do they live?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 7:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post

Those guys look pretty damn white, which begs the question if all of BC is stolen native land... where do they live?

hehehe I think that one guy there in the middle is that white as he lives in a dumpster and does not get much light nor nutrition......

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post

Betty isn't dead... you're thinking of Nancy (some impossible to spell native last name). She died of undiagnosed lung cancer while in jail.

Betty is the other granny that was jailed for contempt of court for the Eagleridge bluffs protest. I think this is about her 5th time going to jail for such an offense.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBinCalgary View Post
what a bunch of douche canoes

LOL... douche canoes... I love it!

...but seriously, what the hell is wrong with these assholes? Ya, everyone has a right to protest; but anti-poverty groups protesting against the Olympics just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. The reason that the majority of these people are poor and homeless is because they don't have jobs. But look at how many thousands of jobs that Olympic related construction has created. If they are so against poverty, why don't they just kick poverty's ass and get a job!?! I'm pretty sure that if they are able-bodied enough to climb up a flag pole and steal a huge flag, they would also be able to perform the duties required for an entry level construction job.

And what the protesters did tonight at the flag ceremony was downright pointless and immature. At one point, they were throwing things and yelling obscenities while a children's choir was singing. Way to go, losers! You sure got our attention now! That really added a lot of credibility to your cause.

JBin said it before, and I'll say it again...

...WHAT A BUNCH OF DOUCHE CANOES!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 8:00 AM
Dérive-r

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
"Not holding the Olympics would probably not have made any difference to what goes on socially, in fact it may well improve things," she said. "
We all know nothing could be closer to the truth. There's been a ton of talk recently about dealing with homelessness and its been due to the improved economy and upcoming Olympics, not because protesters got us thinking about it.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 8:03 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth View Post
Betty isn't dead... you're thinking of Nancy (some impossible to spell native last name). She died of undiagnosed lung cancer while in jail.

Betty is the other granny that was jailed for contempt of court for the Eagleridge bluffs protest. I think this is about her 5th time going to jail for such an offense.

ahhhhhh thanks for clearing that up.......well either way I want to make sweet sweet sweaty sweaty love to both of them........AT THE SAME TIME NO LESS!

Ménage à trois

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 8:10 AM

The clock is a big glitzy symbol of an overblown overbudget extravaganza. It should be counting up -- counting how much the Olympics is costing us. It deserves whatever damage can possibly be done to it, inasmuch as it stands in as a proxy for the small business elite that will profit from this shell game.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 8:14 AM
Inflatable Hippo

The poverty pimps don't want anything to change, enabling vagrancy is too lucrative for them. The last time I encountered "homeless activists" they were literally that, advocating homelessness - claiming it was a perfectly valid lifestyle choice and that I was some how worse than Dick Cheney for not accepting the right of people to live on the street!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurantist View Post
The clock is a big glitzy symbol of an overblown over budget extravaganza. It should be counting up -- counting how much the Olympics is costing us. It deserves whatever damage can possibly be done to it, inasmuch as it stands in as a proxy for the small business elite that will profit from this shell game.
wow, you've made 7 posts buddy... You sign up just for this?

Anyways, there is no such thing as small business elite anymore, and whatever money does go to business will eventually filter and spread out through the rest of the general population... Its called an economy, and everyone is connected, even that one white dumpster dude claiming stolen land.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 2:33 PM
+

What's with Vancouver and all these boho dope smoking hippies?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2007, 3:03 PM

All the outrage over some graffiti is quite amusing when you consider that their is a thread in the Canada forum about "Murals and cool graffiti art in your city"

So in one case defacing public/private property is cool yet in another instance it's vandalism and sacriligous behaviour. The irony.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...light=graffiti

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion