HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos

Old Posted Oct 6, 2012, 11:52 PM

Best photo ops in Vancouver

Today I was walking around the south of False Creek and the Broadway area and I was wondering what would be the best place to take the classic photo of Vancouver's skyline with North Shore Mountains behind it? Are there any public patios/balkonies/lookouts or restauranrs in that area where one could get a bit higher up for the perfect shot?

Another question from a first-year vancouverite would be: where in Vancouver is the best place to take photos of autumn colors? Which park/street/area in Vancouver would have most deciduous trees?

Also any other hints on great photo ops in thiws city are welcome!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 12:39 AM
Can I has a tunnel?

How about little mountain?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 12:44 AM

Spanish Bank.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 2:02 AM
Be nice.

QE is great. Kensington Heights (ie Clark around 33d-38th) surely has a few good views. Capitol Hill in North Burnaby and also from the Skytrain and some Skytrain stations I bet you could get some great shots.

Would Stanley Park be good for Fall colours? Tourism Vancouver thinks so, and have a few other ideas.

Trout Lake is a good bet too.

I'd also suggest doing a few Google image searches for ideas. It can be easy sometimes to find out where shots were taken from.

Good luck! Please post your results in the Vancouver Photo Thread.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 3:14 AM

Thanks guys! I haven't been to Queen Elizabeth Park yet, but I had a look at this thread and it seems you don't have unobstructive views from there.

I am looking to find a classic view similar to this. Is there really no restaurant, rooftop patio or public outlook anywhere in Kits, from which one could have a view with water + city + mountains? If that is the case, I am slightly surprised, considering how famous that view of the city is. Why there is, for example, no public outlook on top of the city hall, for example? That would have a great view of the city.

Spanish Banks has a great view, but not what I am looking for in here. Knight Street has some great views and I definitely need to visit that area with my camera.

@Alex Mackinnon: Do you have any more specifics on Little Mountain (as I don't know where that precisely is)? Is it close to that view from Knight Street?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 3:23 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I am looking to find a classic view similar to this.
Look for things on 10th ave/Broadway. Vancouver General Hospital, BC Cancer Agency. For some reason the hospitals have the best views in town.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 3:50 AM

I am sure the views from those buildings would be what I am looking for, but I am just thinking it is too obvious of me walking in with a large DSLR hanging from my shoulder... Maybe they wouldn't say anything, I don't know.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 4:50 PM

best view has always been from the plane arriving in YVR, during a late afternoon

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3283/...b34af794_o.jpg

that way you see more of the nicer buildings in the back of the skyline as opposed to the wall of concord crap you get in the "classic" view.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 6:09 PM

Quote:
I am sure the views from those buildings would be what I am looking for, but I am just thinking it is too obvious of me walking in with a large DSLR hanging from my shoulder... Maybe they wouldn't say anything, I don't know.
Rent a room at Holiday Inn on Broadway? The Red Robin at Oak and Broadway had a patio that would give you a similar view, but I think its closed now.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 7:21 PM
See ya down under, mates

I've always been a fan of this angle. Makes the city look huge

And yeah unless you look like a drug addict no one's gonna look twice at you in a hospital. I've taken many shots from BC Cancer's 5th floor patio (although I would feel bad if I wasn't there for legitimate reasons).

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 8:01 PM

Here's my experiences with these subjects:

Skyline:
Any tall building along the west Broadway corridor would be good, 805 west Broadway, this building:

Frank Stanzl Building by entheos_fog, on Flickr
is the tallest and I've been to the top floor and the view is amazing. Ugly building though.

7th Floor of BC Cancer, anyone can just walk in but you'd need to get higher up:

134/365 - Vancouver by entheos_fog, on Flickr

There's lots of good vantage points in Fairview as well, you won't get as high up, but any roof without trees in the way would be good. Here's a few non-roof top skyline shots frm Fairview:

332/365 - Vancouver Skyline at Dusk by entheos_fog, on Flickr

Buildings are in the way, but you get a good idea of buildings you could try out:

Downtown Vancouver Panorama by entheos_fog, on Flickr

QE park is ok but the trees get in the way:

Vancouver at Dusk by entheos_fog, on Flickr

And then there's this view:

277/366 - The View Up Here by entheos_fog, on Flickr
from the King Edward Village condo, top floor. But you gotta know people

And the vantage point from here in Burnaby is quite stunning, too:

Vancouver, Looking West by entheos_fog, on Flickr

And then there's always the views from Kits, Jericho Beach being a wise area to shoot from:

Lifegurds, Beach Goers and City Views by entheos_fog, on Flickr

205/365 - View=Ruined by entheos_fog, on Flickr

Or Dunbar:

Downtown From Afar by entheos_fog, on Flickr

As for autumn colours, 11th avenue in Mount Pleasant is a great street when the leaves turn red, I think it's close to Ontario street. The whole block is like this:

Autumn in Vancouver by entheos_fog, on Flickr

Speaking of Ontario street, these pointy trees go all the way down to 2nd ave and turn nice colours, too:

Autumn in Vancouver by entheos_fog, on Flickr

But just walking around any neighbourhood is a good idea, you'll never know what you may find!

Kitsilano Street by entheos_fog, on Flickr

Hope this helps

Old Posted Oct 7, 2012, 10:36 PM

Thanks entheosfog for the great summary!! Those buildings along Broadway, they don't have any access control for the elevators? Are you able to get on top of 805 west Broadway or the hospital without any key card? What is that 805 west Broadway building anyways? Office tower? I kind of like it, like the hospital tower.

I visited QE Park today and actually the view from next to the restaurant is not bad (will post photos later). I am also planning to visit Burnaby Mountain tomorrow to check the view from there. It's the last few beautiful days of this summer, so I need to snatch some photos before the raining starts.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 12:40 AM
Registered

From the parking lot above MEC...

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Thanks entheosfog for the great summary!! Those buildings along Broadway, they don't have any access control for the elevators? Are you able to get on top of 805 west Broadway or the hospital without any key card? What is that 805 west Broadway building anyways? Office tower? I kind of like it, like the hospital tower.

I visited QE Park today and actually the view from next to the restaurant is not bad (will post photos later). I am also planning to visit Burnaby Mountain tomorrow to check the view from there. It's the last few beautiful days of this summer, so I need to snatch some photos before the raining starts.
Thanks! Good view from the restaurant, too:

Seasons Restaurant by entheos_fog, on Flickr

805 w Broadway is a medical/dental building, so anyone can get in, but the only way to see out is through the offices. I'm sure you could get access by asking. Also, I've seen the view from the offices at 1055 w Broadway, and even the 7th floor has great views. Because Fairview is so sloped, it doesn't take much height.
Good luck!

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 1:20 PM
See ya down under, mates

My token "don't forget about the north shore" post

Sadi Junior Photography, on Flickr

by hoktar, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 8, 2012, 11:56 PM

The view from Kensington Park at Knight and 37th is excellent as well.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceprobe View Post
The view from Kensington Park at Knight and 37th is excellent as well.
I checked that yesterday. The view towards North Vancouver and mountains is nice, but you can't really see Downtown, as there is nothing taller for one to get on top of. Or at least I couldn't find any good place in there.

I think East Van's tip on the MEC rooftop parking lot might be a good one. Definitely something I will check out!

Old Posted Nov 11, 2012, 8:12 PM

Here are some autumn photos I was able to take during the rainy October. Some more photos in here.

Glenlyon Parkway in Burnaby has some nice colorful trees. It was one of the few days with blue sky when I took these photos.

11th Street area in Vancouver and most of the East Vancouver has nice turn of leaves. The progress of autumn differs street to street, so it is challenging to hit the best date.

Shaughnessy has many nice streets, but I couldn't find much red in area.

Also in Downtown there are some nice colorful trees to be found. Next year I need to do more walking in the West End area.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos