HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 1:33 AM

Romerjon17 rendered the Twin Towers in GTA IV. They are pretty good.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapelo View Post
From the PC version of Max Payne, released July 2001. The towers were removed from the PS2 and Xbox ports (which were released in December 2001).
I always thought that knee jerk reaction to remove the twin towers from many forms of media was kind of bizarre. Really glad that didn't continue.

And you're a videogame guy too, Chapelo?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 8:17 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
I always thought that knee jerk reaction to remove the twin towers from many forms of media was kind of bizarre. Really glad that didn't continue.
Agreed. Just because they aren't in the skyline anymore doesn't mean they need to be erased from the present. They were the tallest symbols of NYC and will continue to have that record until 1 WTC is finished from the ground to the highest point.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2012, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post

And you're a videogame guy too, Chapelo?
I used to be, not so much anymore, but I play Battlefield 3 and Counter-Strike: Source when I have time. I played World of Warcraft from '04 to '10, but quit because the game had finally run its course.

Final Fantasy VII changed my life and is the greatest game ever made.

Here's another appearance of the Twins in a video game. These are from the side-scrolling beat 'em up Streets of Rage 2 (1992) that was one of the best games on the Sega Genesis.

(there are two sets of Twins in the background!)

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 12:35 AM
Astorian

Streets of Rage OMG haha. I remember that game so much, always played it with my cousins!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 2:11 AM

The Twin Towers will always continue to exist in games and TV. They still exist in The Simpsons in the episode The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson, and they exist in old Friends openings. Plus it's in Fringe too.

The Simpsons episode mostly took place around the World Trade Center including the Plaza. Homer also visited the top of both buildings for the restroom. There was a scene where he pushed a lady aside to get into an elevator.

A link to the episode exists.
http://www.cucirca.com/2010/01/11/th...homer-simpson/

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 3:31 PM
Basket Case

I just discovered that for the 10th anniversary of 9/11 the video for the motion ride 'Manhattan Magic' that used to play at the WTC observation deck was digitally remastered in HD and donated to the 9/11 Memorial Museum.

They uploaded it to YouTube too!
Video Link

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 7:00 PM
Crane Goddess

Thanks for posting that beautiful video, it makes me miss NYC and the Twins like hell.
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 8:37 PM

Thanks for providing the video. I felt like I was in the South Tower for a second.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 9:16 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Found this video after watching that one. Seems like an accurate model of the Windows on the World restaurant.
Video Link

Old Posted May 12, 2012, 10:56 PM

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 7:32 AM

One thing I haven't seen hardly anyone talk about is the hotel between the two towers. I have never seen any pictures of the inside of it. Was there anything special inside of it? I don't even know what year it was added.

If the two towers collapsed directly in their own footprint, which tower took the hotel with it?

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail>Auto View Post
One thing I haven't seen hardly anyone talk about is the hotel between the two towers. I have never seen any pictures of the inside of it. Was there anything special inside of it? I don't even know what year it was added.

If the two towers collapsed directly in their own footprint, which tower took the hotel with it?
There is a documentary on that called Hotel Ground Zero.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail>Auto View Post

The debris from 2 WTC nearly cut the building in half straight down the middle, killing two hotel workers and trapping quite a number of firemen and some other hotel workers who were in the lobby. The northern and southern halves were still standing. The debris from 1 WTC finished the job and basically left a crushed 2-3 story mess. That's the best way to describe what it looked like after the dust settled.

The trapped people in the lobby didn't make it out before the second collapse. There's an excerpt about what happened in the hotel in "102 Minutes: The Untold Story of the Fight to Survive inside the Twin Towers." Great book by a couple of NY Times writers that I recommend everyone pick up.

Part of the hotel's lobby was actually reinforced after the 1993 bombing, so the people standing in that area survived the first collapse relatively unharmed, but people standing a few feet away on the portion of the lobby floor that had not been reinforced became trapped. They were in contact with the trapped guys (close enough to talk without use of a radio) and were in the process of getting them out, but they just didn't have enough time.

This isn't really the place for 9/11 pictures, so if you want to see the before, during, and after pictures please send me a PM.

Old Posted May 16, 2012, 9:39 PM

Here is more information on the Marriott World Trade Center Hotel. This is Hotel Ground Zero.

Video Link

Here is the Wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriot...d_Trade_Center

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 12:43 AM

Video Link

Many of us have seen videos from the famous rooftop Observation Deck from the old South Tower, but few have probably seen (or were themselves) views from the North Tower roof, which was off limits to the public. The North Tower was slightly taller than the south, by about 6 feet, and had many communications antennas, satellite dishes, and of course the main antenna on top. Here is a video taken just two months before 9/11 on July 15, 2001 on the roof by a man whose friend Rod Coppola worked as an broadcast engineer on the 110th floor of the North Tower. Rod can be seen in the baseball cap showing his friend around on the roof. Sadly Rod was on the 110th floor on 9/11, and was trapped and perished in the attacks. RIP.

This video is the only one I have ever seen from the North Tower's roof, and it gave me goosebumps when I watched it the first time. No guardrail, no protection! From about 2:00 the cameraman aims directly north, and you see a great video of Midtown and the Westside Highway below. You can even briefly make out the roof below of the old 7WTC. Near the end, the cameraman points straight down on the plaza below, and you can see the globe and the stage that was put there for concerts. Sadly, many trapped victims on 9/11 jumped to their deaths onto that plaza. The interference on the tape is from all of the radio antennas on the roof. A final note about the video, note how hazy and smoggy the city is on that July day! Probably a combination of humidity and city haze. Definately a rare and interesting piece of history.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 10:34 PM
An Optimistic Realist

I saw it before. Pretty good. Hopefully the same is done with 1 WTC's roof if the spire is brought back to the table.

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 11:32 PM

Awesome! I love how the camera really gets upset when he walks around the north end of the roof. Saved to my hard drive for the collection!

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 5:19 AM

Man, that video brought back the same dizziness I experienced my first couple of weeks in the WTC back in '97. Sure miss those Hudson River views...

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 4:15 AM
Future Mayor of Chicago

I have read in numerous sources that the rooftop promenade observatory on the south tower was 1,377 feet above sea level so I assume that meant 1,367 feet above street level.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture