HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 12:31 AM

Milestone of sorts,1WTC is starting to show up in New York Trucks,

Quote:
New York’s skyline makes quite an impression on the senses - and on the sides of delivery trucks around the city, which display often quirky depictions of the city’s skyscrapers.

To this day, the Twin Towers of the original World Trade Center survive on many trucks, serving as rolling tributes to the lost complex. The Retrologist has documented the iconographic traces of the twins in posts you can read HERE and HERE.

Yesterday, I saw two trucks that serve as bookends of sorts in the history of the World Trade Center site, and in our popular conception of the skyline.

The one above shows the Twin Towers, and I must say it’s always welcome to see that silhouette in a commonplace, day-to-day context, woven into the pedestrian life of the city.

Below is the second truck, spotted on South William Street, just blocks from the World Trade Center. This one surprised me: It depicts the new One World Trade Center, which remains under construction but is already New York’s tallest building.

You can see it on the left, along with a depiction of the Empire State Building, Citigroup, and even the “Chippendale highboy in the sky,” Philip Johnson’s Sony building, built in the 1980s for AT&T.

Now here’s an idiosyncratic selection of buildings, from one not quite complete to one (Sony) that I’ve never seen depicted in this form — as a true symbol of New York, emblazoned on the side of a truck.

Just a year ago, the new One World Trade Center, originally called the Freedom Tower,  was barely noticable anywhere but downtown.

Today, it can be seen from dozens of miles away and has become, like its predecessors on those 16 acres, an essential part of the skyline. Soon, it will truly feel like an integral part of our collective identity. To think, today’s kids will have never known a city without its twisting, tapering profile.

Now that the silhouette of the new tower has made its way onto the side of a truck, you might say the new World Trade Center has finally arrived. 
http://rolandopujol.tumblr.com/post/...arting-to-show

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 1:54 AM

i like that new truck , with the new tower
even the spire looks great!!!
the lady liberty looks tiny.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 2:25 AM

I remember about 2 years ago Kanye West performed in the Thanksgiving day parade on a float with 1WTC and the Empire state building in it.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 2:26 AM
An Optimistic Realist

This is just the beginning. Soon, when other noticeable supertalls show up, there will be trucks depicting the NYC skyline as a real version of Coruscant. It will be amazing.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 3:05 AM

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
What's on Monday?
Yesterday they took 4 beams very high but not put them, "maybe" Monday

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 9:44 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

My World Trade Center pictures from Yesterday

From Jersey City Heights

World Trade Center 1 & 4 from Jersey City Heights by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

WTC 1 peaking up from Hoboken

024 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

From the Jersey City Waterfront

036 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

038 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

World Trade Center 1 & 4 from Jersey City,New Jersey by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

From the New Jersey Turnpike

055 by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

World Trade Center 1 & 4 from The New Jersey Turnpike by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

World Trade Center 1 & 4 from The New Jersey Turnpike by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 11:41 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.esquire.com/features/worl...ebuilding-0912

The Truth About the World Trade Center

Joe Woolhead
Ironworker Mike O'Reilly setting a steel column on the northeast corner of the 102nd floor, with the Empire State Building in the background

August 20, 2012
Scott Raab

Quote:
The Freedom Tower's force is its 1,368 feet, exactly the same height as the old North Twin Tower. The building's spire — still being assembled in Canada — will lift it to 1,776 feet.......There will be taller towers in the world when this one is finished — the latest fond hope is early 2014 — but they weren't built atop a mass grave. Their perimeter columns were not sunk seven stories below street level, threaded among the tracks of an active commuter railroad. Those other towers were designed and built by men and women working unburdened by the memory of carnage — and by the certain knowledge that their tower will also loom as a thrilling bull's-eye....The Freedom Tower's true daddy is David Childs, the architect who designed it seven years ago, back when he was a lad of sixty-four with a mere three decades of experience as a partner at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, the world's premier corporate architecture firm.

...Spitzer in turn begat Blind David Paterson, who confessed his own philandering one day after his inauguration. And Paterson begat Andrew Cuomo, the current governor. Each had his own political agenda; each appointed a PA executive director of his very own; each viewed the World Trade Center rebuilding — and the Freedom Tower above all — as a redheaded stepchild. As the estimate for completing the tower rose past $3 billion, the PA struck a deal in 2010 with a city real estate developer, the Durst Organization, to help finish, manage, and lease the tower: For $100 million, Durst received a 10 percent equity interest in the building, plus a $15 million management contract that gave Durst 75 percent of any monies saved by cutting construction costs up to $12 million, and a mere 50 percent of every penny cut thereafter.

To nobody's surprise and David Childs's despair, Durst found costs to cut, particularly at the top and bottom of the tower. The prismatic glass chosen to wrap the base of the building was replaced with a cheaper version, requiring that the corners of the tower's first two hundred feet be squared off after those corners had already been tapered to meet the thousand-foot isosceles triangles of the curtain wall. Then Durst took its meat-ax to the tower's 408-foot spire: By simply scrapping the radome —
a sculpted shell of fiberglass and steel designed to sheathe the antennae and maintenance platforms atop the building — shazam! $20 million saved.

Childs learned from a Durst press report that the radome had been whacked, and issued a statement expressing his disappointment and his hope that SOM and the Port could find an alternate design. Durst claimed its radome decision was strictly about maintenance cost and safety, not money. Patrick Foye, current PA executive director, agreed, adding, "What was designed was impractical, unworkable, and quite frankly dangerous."

Considering that SOM has somehow managed to build and create maintenance plans for skyscrapers in many places for many years; and considering that Douglas Durst himself paid to place full-page ads in New York City newspapers in 2007, urging the new governor, Eliot Spitzer, to murder the tower; and considering that without the radome, what was a
spire may be discounted as an antenna mast by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat — the arbiter of building heights — which would mean that the Freedom Tower won't officially stand 1,776 feet tall: Regarding all this, David Childs is mum. Circumspect. Or plain worn-out.

"The simple, pure form — I'm proud of that," he says, and falls silent.

The spire of 1 WTC, the feature that will bring the building to 1776 feet, being assembled in Montreal, July.

http://archrecord.construction.com/p...ade-center.asp

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 20, 2012 at 11:53 AM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 11:57 AM

^^^ That gives me hope that they might just go ahead with the randome/spire idea.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 12:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdrummer82 View Post
^^^ That gives me hope that they might just go ahead with the randome/spire idea.
We can always hope. They could use that design without the radome, as it was originally intended (open air).

jag9889

dutchmazz

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 20, 2012 at 12:43 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 12:51 PM

^ I'm very confident we're not getting such trash antenna for such a brilliant and elegant building like 1WTC.The skeletal portion of the the what-would-be spire makes sense in my opinion,and it has my vote over the toothpick nonsense.

http://4freedomtower.wordpress.com/2...ht-of-freedom/

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 1:52 PM
Bionic Boogie

DSC_4882 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 2:09 PM

New glass at south-est and est for the end of 82th floor!!!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosV View Post

DSC_4882 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
beautiful

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 2:20 PM

Went downtown for the first time in a year.Wow.1WTC is beyond anything I've seen.I mean I've seen taller structures(Taipei 101) and haven't been this awestruck.Definitely my favorite super-tall.Wow,I was lost for words.Pics don't do it justice.

Tumblr.com

Last edited by NewYorkDominates; Aug 20, 2012 at 3:20 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

The Truth About the World Trade Center]
Wow, that is some kick-ass article. Nice to see that once in a while, here and there, honest, straight-from-the-shoulder journalism can still be published. Where have you gone, Hunter Thompson?

The line that sums it all up for me comes early on:

Quote:
Forget the details for now and focus on a simple fact: The Port and the politicians who run it are pigs.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 4:13 PM

So this right here is the antenna? Doesn't look half bad.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 4:15 PM
Brooklyn Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ditnow View Post
Wow, that is some kick-ass article. Nice to see that once in a while, here and there, honest, straight-from-the-shoulder journalism can still be published. Where have you gone, Hunter Thompson?

100% Agree with you Bill and I usually don't.

Everyone here should read this article.
It's long but well worth your time. It's a fascinating and very informative read. Most of which I already knew about.

The Truth About the World Trade Center

The best thing that happened to this project was Chris Ward!

The worst thing that happened was Chris Ward being replaced by Cuomo.

Ward should have been able and the one to finish the project.

My favorite quote from the article:

Quote:
But on May 22, another PA executive director took over, picked by Blind David Paterson, Spitzer's successor — and the new PA guy, Chris Ward, did something odd and wonderful right away: He called bullshit, publicly, in detail, on all the prior Ground Zero budgets and timetables, which everyone knew to be bullshit anyway.

By the end of June, Ward had issued a thirty-four-page study outlining the major problems — the PATH hub foremost among them: the PA still didn't have a final design for the Calatrava — and told the governor he'd need three months more to establish realistic schedules and budgets for rebuilding, and created a cross-project governing board to coordinate planning across the whole sixteen acres.

And by so doing, Chris Ward almost rescued the rebuilding.

Almost.
But thanks to Gov. Cuomo not giving a shit about the WTC site and Downtown, Chris Ward did not get the chance to finish what he fixed and started.

Last edited by pnapp1; Aug 20, 2012 at 7:13 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Bill Ditnow

Gonzo Journalism is my favorite style of journalism.Hunter Thompson is definitely missed.

The article is one of the best written concerning WTC and how those "pigs" have caused such a disturbance to a sacred site.

Quote:
Chris123678

So this right here is the antenna? Doesn't look half bad.

No,as you can see here:

the the portion of the antenna you see is what the spire would have looked like with out the Radome.

http://archrecord.construction.com/p...ade-center.asp

Last edited by NewYorkDominates; Aug 20, 2012 at 5:58 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2012, 5:09 PM
don't *meddle*...

Such a refreshing article. Good to know there are some journalists out there who know that the American people got robbed and ripped off.

Quote:
Childs is disinclined, by nature and professional diplomacy, to detail the resulting woe. Long story short: Pataki begat Eliot Spitzer, the Emperors Club VIP's whoremonger, who campaigned and took office harrumphing about killing the tower, changed his mind a month later, and resigned after little more than a year as governor, so foully disgraced by his penis that he recently was forced to seek refuge in Al Gore's wing-nut protection program, Current TV. Spitzer in turn begat Blind David Paterson, who confessed his own philandering one day after his inauguration. And Paterson begat Andrew Cuomo, the current governor.

Quote:
To nobody's surprise and David Childs's despair, Durst found costs to cut
Sad but true.

Quote:
Childs learned from a Durst press report that the radome had been whacked, and issued a statement expressing his disappointment and his hope that SOM and the Port could find an alternate design. Durst claimed its radome decision was strictly about maintenance cost and safety, not money. Patrick Foye, current PA executive director, agreed, adding, "What was designed was impractical, unworkable, and quite frankly dangerous."

Considering that SOM has somehow managed to build and create maintenance plans for skyscrapers in many places for many years; and considering that Douglas Durst himself paid to place full-page ads in New York City newspapers in 2007, urging the new governor, Eliot Spitzer, to murder the tower; and considering that without the radome, what was a spire may be discounted as an antenna mast by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat — the arbiter of building heights — which would mean that the Freedom Tower won't officially stand 1,776 feet tall: Regarding all this, David Childs is mum. Circumspect. Or plain worn-out.
God, that Durst- pig makes me angry...

Last edited by hunser; Aug 20, 2012 at 5:28 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive