HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 11:21 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ditnow View Post
I agree that the intent of the spire is to evoke a torch or beacon, even if the overall design, as conceived anew by Childs, was intended as a symbolic allusion
to the Washington Monument and not the Statue of Liberty.
Again, you are confusing the overall design of the tower with that of the spire.

Quote:
I doubt very many people will see the toothpick as a torch or beacon.
It's debatable how many people will see anything on top of a skyscraper as relative to a beacon or Liberty's torch. That doesn't change what it is.
To me, it's an antenna. But if it's ruled a spire, it's a spire. I don't get to make the call. I think you're right that most people won't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGnome View Post
Child's original idea was for the building itself to be 2200'. That would have been something to see.
It varied from 2,100 ft to 2,000 ft. But Libeskind feared it would overwhelm the site plan, and it did not include the mandated spire which was to mark 1,776 ft.
There was a lengthy battle, which eventually led to this great cartoon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ditnow View Post
It should be remembered that when Childs designed this, he was under a mandate from Silverstein that the occupied portion of the tower be much lower than that of the original
twin towers, because he feared another terror attack. So you can see that the occupied portion of this original Childs proposal is only half as tall as the actual tower.
Childs was trying to go tall without having the whole thing occupied.
As proposed in the site plan, none of the "occupied" office space was to be much above 1,000 ft. The Freedom Tower was originally supposed to have "sky gardens"
with observatory space within that would be located higher than the office space. However, when Libeskind's site plan was selected, the broadcasters had been planning
their own 2,000 ft tower somewhere around the harbor (varying sites of Jersey City, Bayonne, and Governors Island). It was only after the site plan selection that they
got on board with the new plan at the WTC.

So David Childs was not only designing an office tower, he was also designing a broadcasting tower. He chose the twisting design that in his opinion represented the statue of liberty
in a way different from Libeskinds. He chose to mark the 1,776 ft height not with a spire, but with an observation deck at that height. The antennas for the broadcasters would be above that,
pushing the tower to its 2,000 - 2,100 ft height, while the "building" portion of the tower would reach no more than 1,150 ft.

Enter Libeskind and Governor Pataki, and the mandated spire of 1,776 ft had to be included in the design. David Childs worked various schemes, at both the 2,000 and 1,776 ft heights.
Most looked ridiculous. A quick look back:

Child's original design, if done right, could have invoked Foster's vision in my opinion...

But none of that eventually mattered, as the NYPD forced a complete redesign of the tower, which led to what we now have.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 13, 2012 at 11:31 PM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2012, 11:37 PM

NYguy knows his stuff.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Again, you are confusing the overall design of the tower with that of the spire.
I'm not sure where you think my confusion lies. I'm pretty sure I'm agreeing with you. That is, while Childs said that the overall design of the tower was an allusion to the Washington Monument, this is perfectly consistent with seeing the original spire as an allusion to the torch of the Statue of Liberty. Where do we disagree? Maybe I've misread you.

Thanks for the photographic history of the models, btw. Some of them with the off-center spire were not bad at all.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZeig1 View Post
To be honest, if we look at this photo, and use our imagination - lets picture 2 & 3 being completed - downtown could use a few more 500m buildings. They would fit perfectlly. Perhaps 5 wtc could become the second tallest residential building in the world. That's if the entire complex was completed.
just kinda sucks that 2WTC will block out quite a bit of 1WTC from this angle... but when all 4 of the main towers are visible, it's perfect.

2WTC is the odd child of the complex imo. just because it's almost as tall as 1WTC's roof, and has such an irregular shape. not to mention, it's got a massive footprint! still love it though

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 3:06 AM
Bionic Boogie

DSC_0097 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveve View Post
just kinda sucks that 2WTC will block out quite a bit of 1WTC from this angle... but when all 4 of the main towers are visible, it's perfect.

2WTC is the odd child of the complex imo. just because it's almost as tall as 1WTC's roof, and has such an irregular shape. not to mention, it's got a massive footprint! still love it though
I wouldn't say 2wtc is the odd child. More like 4wtc. I mean this complex is a cluster of towers at difference angels, but tower 4 is just the simple elegant one.
I personally think 2 world trade center should have been the main tower.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

It's debatable how many people will see anything on top of a skyscraper as relative to a beacon or Liberty's torch. That doesn't change what it is.
To me, it's an antenna. But if it's ruled a spire, it's a spire. I don't get to make the call. I think you're right that most people won't care.

It varied from 2,100 ft to 2,000 ft. But Libeskind feared it would overwhelm the site plan, and it did not include the mandated spire which was to mark 1,776 ft.
There was a lengthy battle, which eventually led to this great cartoon...

As proposed in the site plan, none of the "occupied" office space was to be much above 1,000 ft. The Freedom Tower was originally supposed to have "sky gardens"
with observatory space within that would be located higher than the office space. However, when Libeskind's site plan was selected, the broadcasters had been planning
their own 2,000 ft tower somewhere around the harbor (varying sites of Jersey City, Bayonne, and Governors Island). It was only after the site plan selection that they
got on board with the new plan at the WTC.

So David Childs was not only designing an office tower, he was also designing a broadcasting tower. He chose the twisting design that in his opinion represented the statue of liberty
in a way different from Libeskinds. He chose to mark the 1,776 ft height not with a spire, but with an observation deck at that height. The antennas for the broadcasters would be above that,
pushing the tower to its 2,000 - 2,100 ft height, while the "building" portion of the tower would reach no more than 1,150 ft.

Enter Libeskind and Governor Pataki, and the mandated spire of 1,776 ft had to be included in the design. David Childs worked various schemes, at both the 2,000 and 1,776 ft heights.
Most looked ridiculous. A quick look back:

Child's original design, if done right, could have invoked Foster's vision in my opinion...

But none of that eventually mattered, as the NYPD forced a complete redesign of the tower, which led to what we now have.

They kept getting better imo. I still liked the Decemeber 2003 building. I think it might have looked kind of cool, if done right. BUt we know how that turns out most of the time. Just like the spire removal and the space around the base of 1 WTC. and IMO all of these still look better than some of the original models from various people.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 5:26 AM
Ex Houstonian

Eh, I think the current design is the best out of all of those. The first and second are absolutely horrible.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 8:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Eh, I think the current design is the best out of all of those. The first and second are absolutely horrible.
I agree. I was just saying the last model before the one being built, did look much better than the previous models. It might look kind of cool, but not as the main building on the site. And you're right, it started off looking very bad.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 10:35 AM
don't *meddle*...

Thread is going to hit 6,000,000 pretty soon...

One World Trade Center (aka Freedom Tower) von pmarella auf Flickr

One World Trade Center HDR von Andrew Aliferis auf Flickr

017 von Vin Schiano auf Flickr

048 von Vin Schiano auf Flickr

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 11:00 AM

From Chinatown, a few weeks ago.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 11:02 AM

Another

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 12:30 PM

hello - onewtc.com video

hello , can someone post the video from the onewtc.com
there is a video of them pouring concrete
what is that , where is it .... thanks

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 12:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Saw a shot on television of the skyline during the Yankees game last night,, and this tower was stunning in the twilight (or whatever it was)....

Posted this shot in the Atlantic Yards thread...

keroleensboy

Digiart2001 | jason.kuffer

santiago's kismet

This is an older shot, but it captures the skyline the way we always remember it...

keroleensboy

Dan_DC

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 14, 2012 at 12:54 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 12:56 PM

The picture with the cloud right above the tower gives me chills. In a bad way.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 1:02 PM

Holy crap,didn't see that.Chills down my spine.

Quote:

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 6:45 PM

The last beams are rising now

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 7:52 PM

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 8:26 PM
Bionic Boogie

Carlos' cam :)

MORE STEEL HAS BEEN ERECTED ON TOP!!!!

300mm lens

DSC_0103 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr

800mm lens

DSC_0106 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Last edited by CarlosV; Aug 14, 2012 at 8:49 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2012, 8:50 PM

Now what's that steel for I thought we were at full roof height?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive