HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 10:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck From NY View Post
Sorry if I didn't notice an explanation before, but why are the corners of the base no longer turned inward? Safety? Cost?
cost.

Durst gets to keep a large percentage of any money that save the PA on the building, so, change the base, cut the cost of it in half, they get a good chunk of change. Same with the Spire.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 11:00 PM

Was in Atlanta the other day and I looked up at the Bank of America Plaza's roof line. The open-lattice steel covering looks nice so I was wondering would the same type of thing be possible to fit over One WTC's mast? By the way that building has a GOLD spire... You'd think that a building WAY more significant could at least have something attractive on top.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2012, 11:21 PM

This spire/antenna argument is seriously getting beaten beyond death at this point. Yes, we realize it sucks that Durst is exhibiting those symptoms of Greedy Rich Asshole Syndrome, but it is what it is. I think we should be excited for this building being finished in the near future, I know I am.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed_Tx View Post
cost.

Durst gets to keep a large percentage of any money that save the PA on the building, so, change the base, cut the cost of it in half, they get a good chunk of change. Same with the Spire.
It was for safety. The prismatic glass was tested and it was found that it broke into dangerous shards.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
It was for safety. The prismatic glass was tested and it was found that it broke into dangerous shards.
safety my ass.. it's glass, they could use a different type of glass and still keep the angled base.. squaring it off kills the whole triangular shape of the tower!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I was talking about the angles at the corner of the base, not the materials that will be used to sheath it.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 2:04 AM
Brooklyn Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepen915 View Post
safety my ass.. it's glass, they could use a different type of glass and still keep the angled base.. squaring it off kills the whole triangular shape of the tower!
Chris is correct. They did a mockup almost 2 years ago and it failed miserably. Just a simple throw of a small sledgehammer broke the glass. Look it up. It's on video as well.

You'll also see that the glass tested was very high grade glass. The prism cuts simply didn't work.

As for the redesign, I like it... no more... no less than the original.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 2:35 AM
Bionic Boogie

Red no more

DSC_4890 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 2:46 AM

Carlos,how do you feel that you have that view 24/7?Wow.

MOJOman

http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-58899-1.html

Last edited by NewYorkDominates; Aug 22, 2012 at 2:56 AM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 2:52 AM

Quote:
I suggest you do some research before you start drawing these conclusions.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 3:39 AM

Quote:
The chinesse subcontractor couldn't fabricate the sheets of prisms and meet the safety standards at the same time, any attempt to continue the job would have increased substantially the overall cost with no guarantee of finding a proper solution.

SOM worked on an alternate design that had as top priority to look for cheaper materials and fabrication methods and at the same time fit the design to the building's architectural language, maybe the corners are gone but the continuity between the base and the office curtain wall is preserved (IMO it looks improved).

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 4:56 AM

Again? What is so good about the original base? It looks like a Chinese takeout box. The new design is extremely similar to the base of the former Twin Towers. I like it more than the old one. Now if they added the tridents.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 4:59 AM

I too like the new base better alot. I heard it's supposed to light up in the night in different colors also.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
Do you have pictures?

I took these yesterday afternoon:

Still only four beams and this will be topping out!!

Last edited by mat97; Aug 22, 2012 at 7:30 AM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 2:32 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Again? What is so good about the original base? It looks like a Chinese takeout box. The new design is extremely similar to the base of the former Twin Towers. I like it more than the old one. Now if they added the tridents.
I have heard this before but I would say: "Barely reminiscent of..." A takeout box has four sides that cant inwards, while the original design of the base of 1WTC had four vertical sides with four chamfered corners. In shape, it was an exact copy of the first several office floors, only inverted.

Personally, I preferred the original. I liked the symmetry with the rest of the tower. While the new version is reminiscent of the old towers, it now looks tacked on, with little thematic ties to the upper portion of the tower. Also as you pointed out, now that it looks so similar to the old tower, the missing trident shapes become conspicuous by their absence and serves as a continuous reminder of something that is lost.

(Image found here: http://murraydms.ning.com/forum/topi...ource=activity )

(Close-up of image found on first page of this thread: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=123628 )

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 2:44 PM

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 6:52 PM

From an ironworkers down at WNY:

Quote:
I believe the base stays naked for some time. The main tower isn't due to be topped out with cladding until late January 2013. Given the shear amount of activity and loading still required all around the base, I think they'll hold off putting up material that will no doubt be damaged. (I could be wrong, it's very "PA" to put something up "just because" and not care amount the damage or inconvenience).

Current schedule:

1: The 2 cranes jump into the "doghouse" by the end of this week.
2: East and West cooling towers go up.
3: Build north crane support platform by Labor Day.
4: Relocate north crane by mid September.
5: North cooling tower by Sept 20.
6: 2nd tier of temp platform for south crane.
7: South crane relocates to support platform by end of October.
I had a gut feeling the base wouldn't be covered in clad during October,but than again,it's all assumptions.Take note though:IrishInNYC is a very reliable source and is an ironworker at the site.

Last edited by NewYorkDominates; Aug 22, 2012 at 7:09 PM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 7:05 PM
Bionic Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkDominates View Post
Carlos,how do you feel that you have that view 24/7?Wow.
feel very lucky!!!

DSC_4894 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 7:11 PM

Quote:

I had a gut feeling the base wouldn't be covered in clad during October,but than again,it's all assumptions.Take note though:IrishInNYC is a very reliable source and is an ironworker at the site.

I saw this aswell. I agree, but then again, the lifted steel without breaking the windows above 20, maybe they can do it with the base.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2012, 7:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:

It's been known for years....yes, years...that the base cladding would not start until the regular cladding had been completed and the building was topped out. I continually do not understand why people are waiting around for the base cladding. It will not happen until nearly all of the other exterior work is completed. And how can you put cladding on corners that haven't been squared off yet?? Use your brains, people.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive