HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
Isn't Scottsdale more of a contender to be a ''twin city'' then Mesa? I mean, yes, Mesa has double the population of Scottsdale, but Scottsdale is far more famous countrywide. It's nothing to write home about either with a pitiful downtown, but it's got more of a pulse and is definitely seeing more ''urban'' development than Mesa and probably Phoenix as well.
Eh, not more than Phoenix, maybe as much as Tempe but if so it's not as visible. Outside of Phoenix, Tempe, and Scottsdale though there is a gap but Chandler and Gilbert are trying to close that gap. It's just that almost all the arts and culture are already concentrated in Phoenix, Tempe, and Scottsdale. So, it's an uphill battle for every other city. It doesn't help Scottsdale that it barely tolerates buses let alone higher density mass transit.

Sorry for going off topic.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 2:58 AM

Everyone has pretty much said it. Very very little chance of Mesa becoming a dominant city in the region. It's too bad, because it's not for lack of trying. They brought in the light rail. They have approved several proposals downtown to start bringing residents and density. But it says something that a recent development of just like 20 apartments I believe we're the first market rate apartments to be built in downtown Mesa in like 20+ years. The latest plan is to bring ASU downtown. We'll see. Nothing Mesa does seems to overcome the fact that it's just not much of a destination.

I will say the downtown is nice for what it is. Unlike Gilbert or Tempe, downtown Mesa still has a decent collection of non-bar or restaurant retail. And there is a nice little collection of watering holes growing that have a vibe that I enjoy--not as college-y as Tempe, or as club-y as Scottsdale, or as family-y as Gilbert. But I can't imagine it ever really developing into anything that could be called a second city.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddguy View Post
Mesa had almost 15,000 people in 1950, and Anaheim California had a bit over 15,000 at the same time, and I think that Mesa has no more chance of being a twin of Phoenix than Anaheim has of being a twin of Los Angeles.

It was a small town that got swallowed up in the growing blob of Phoenix. Mesa just happens to have the largest population of sprawlburbs like Anaheim, Arlington Texas, Aurora Colorado, etc.
We are in total agreement.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
We are in total agreement.
I am in total agreement with someone on the internet? *has a collapse*

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions