HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
Apparently, materials marked for Winnipeg Police headdquarters were used for construction of a church in the South end of the city. Here's the link from the CBC:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...uary-1.3501074

The plot thickens.
Did Caspian order vast amounts of materials on the WPS' dime so that it could sell them again for use on other projects?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 2:49 PM
Ignore these four words.

Is that a rhectorical question? Excellent question, though. It just stinks to high heaven. Pardon the pun.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 3:16 PM

Drag all the scum right out into the street. I hope this goes far and wide. Caspian will go tits up before they pay any real penalties, unfortunately.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 4:31 PM

Have a friend who worked civilian job for the WPS. Kind of funny but he told me all the ways they game the overtime system and now that he got accepted into the WPS he wishes he didnt share the info....

The only thing that enticed him to do it too was the 100,000k after 5 years, its all he talked about for years. I really cant believe how much we pay for this service...

CBC also just had their related article where I think its now 67% of the WPS makes 100,000k a year.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 4:40 PM

And it's after 5 years.. That's so nuts, crazy, insane, whatever.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 4:43 PM

The Council meeting on it is happening now.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...dget-1.3502206

Police Board suggesting cutting of body cams to help make up shortfall.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 4:49 PM

^ Anything and everything is on the table... except staff reductions and pay cuts.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Anything and everything is on the table... except staff reductions and pay cuts.
And the helicopter and the tank, those seem to be untouchable even if staff lose their jobs.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 3:19 PM

They'll find the money. How can they not in that massive budget.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
EOI is also out for the redevelopment of the former Canada Post Building 266 Graham.
I should stay logged in when your online.. Bumping this as well..

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 11:34 PM

Tied into Biff's posting of the EOI, CTV news is reporting tonight the out going police chief raised security concerns about who the possible owner or tenants of 266 Graham could be if the building is not owned by the city or filled with city offices.

He is worried that taking the building out of city control could let organized crime set up surveillance next to the station. And apparently these concerns from his memo were not passed on to the city councilors who OK'd the EOI to sell 266 Graham.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
Tied into Biff's posting of the EOI, CTV news is reporting tonight the out going police chief raised security concerns about who the possible owner or tenants of 266 Graham could be if the building is not owned by the city or filled with city offices.

He is worried that taking the building out of city control could let organized crime set up surveillance next to the station. And apparently these concerns from his memo were not passed on to the city councilors who OK'd the EOI to sell 266 Graham.
Has he met people involved in organized crime in Manitoba? Let's just say we don't have to worry about them splitting the atom any time soon.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 4:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post

Saw the clip on CTV, they interviewed Browaty and he was clearly annoyed with the whole mess and said basically, why in the hell didn't the WPS say something earlier before they even started looking at the old post office as the new police HQ. I would guess most Councillors would like to forget this whole fiasco and I'm sure if there was a do over a new build would be the unanimous choice!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Saw the clip on CTV, they interviewed Browaty and he was clearly annoyed with the whole mess and said basically, why in the hell didn't the WPS say something earlier before they even started looking at the old post office as the new police HQ. I would guess most Councillors would like to forget this whole fiasco and I'm sure if there was a do over a new build would be the unanimous choice!
Wasn't it the WPS that hatched this whole scheme of buying the Canada Post Building? I get this level of sophistication from my toddler.

"Daddy I want the chicken mcnuggets with my happy meal"

* meal arrives *

"I changed my mind I want the cheeseburger"

Good Lord.

Where is Keith McCaskill these days? What does he have to say about it? If I were Browaty I'd be careful though, he was on the council that approved this whole debacle.

Is this just a thinly veiled effort by the WPS to get the tower torn down to make way for cop parking?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 4:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Wasn't it the WPS that hatched this whole scheme of buying the Canada Post Building? I get this level of sophistication from my toddler.

"Daddy I want the chicken mcnuggets with my happy meal"

* meal arrives *

"I changed my mind I want the cheeseburger"

Good Lord.

Where is Keith McCaskill these days? What does he have to say about it? If I were Browaty I'd be careful though, he was on the council that approved this whole debacle.

Is this just a thinly veiled effort by the WPS to get the tower torn down to make way for cop parking?
LOL! The level of incompetence in this city at every level and in every jurisdiction is mind numbing. Not sure how much parking you would even end up with by tearing down the office tower.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
It could be the WPS just assumed everyone would know the tenants of the office tower could be both an image and security issue. I knew that long before this story broke and am not involved in the project in any form.

On the security side, imagine the a motor cycle gang, or their lawyer perhaps, renting space and sharing a wall with the police unit in charge of monitoring them. There are also lots of chatter about how the exterior of the police hq needed to be hardened against bomb attacks. Was that same hardening applied on the interior shared wall? Did police take into account what units would have a shared wall with the office tower to minimize risks?

In terms of the image issue side, imagine something like a large head shop, a medical marijuana clinic, or a massage parlour setup shop in the office tower.

These really just scratch the surface. The issues over which tenants will be allowed in the tower are going to heavily restrict its possible uses. With all those restrictions it will likely be very difficult to find an approved buyer. The best bet is for the City to look into exiting the leases it holds elsewhere, such as Fort Garry Place, and relocating those offices to the WPS Tower. At least then the City maintains some level of control over the tenants in the tower.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
It could be the WPS just assumed everyone would know the tenants of the office tower could be both an image and security issue. I knew that long before this story broke and am not involved in the project in any form.

On the security side, imagine the a motor cycle gang, or their lawyer perhaps, renting space and sharing a wall with the police unit in charge of monitoring them. There are also lots of chatter about how the exterior of the police hq needed to be hardened against bomb attacks. Was that same hardening applied on the interior shared wall? Did police take into account what units would have a shared wall with the office tower to minimize risks?
On the other hand, it would make monitoring that motorcycle gang and/or their lawyer a breeze.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 5:52 PM

Quote:
In terms of the image issue side, imagine something like a large head shop, a medical marijuana clinic, or a massage parlour setup shop in the office tower.
This is not a private company with a 'brand' to protect. It's a government agency. The idea that taxpayers should pay a premium so the police force can have a veto over the character of adjoining businesses for "image reasons" is absurd.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 6:15 PM

Quote:
These really just scratch the surface. The issues over which tenants will be allowed in the tower are going to heavily restrict its possible uses. With all those restrictions it will likely be very difficult to find an approved buyer. The best bet is for the City to look into exiting the leases it holds elsewhere, such as Fort Garry Place, and relocating those offices to the WPS Tower. At least then the City maintains some level of control over the tenants in the tower.
Why does this never get brought up? The city leases so much space for administrative functions in buildings owned by private operators (Confed Building, Bank of Hamilton, Fort Garry Place, crap Shindico strip mall on Pembina), yet somehow moving those functions into Canada Post and subleasing that space out never comes up. Are the terms of those leases that onerous?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 6:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Why does this never get brought up? The city leases so much space for administrative functions in buildings owned by private operators (Confed Building, Bank of Hamilton, Fort Garry Place, crap Shindico strip mall on Pembina), yet somehow moving those functions into Canada Post and subleasing that space out never comes up. Are the terms of those leases that onerous?
Sounds simple of enough but what's in it for the dept. heads, senior mangers and the like if they just a move into a city owned building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan