HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 5:55 PM

^This will likely be the only tower project in that area. If approved, it will be an exception to the plan for that area of City Centre which calls for 4-6 storey.

It's not a well-known developer - possibly their first tower project.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
^This will likely be the only tower project in that area. If approved, it will be an exception to the plan for that area of City Centre which calls for 4-6 storey.

It's not a well-known developer - possibly their first tower project.
Very interesting.

Thank you!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 10:58 PM

Just heard this could be heading to council within the next month or so - so should be able to post some renderings soon

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 12:09 AM

Not sure if anyone can assist me, but I've been having some trouble locating development lighting by-laws for arterial streets in Surrey.

I'm helping a land owner get started on a new commercial project along 88th Ave and he wants to incorporate an aspect of public art via lighting display similar to the Tynehead pedestrian overpass.

Would appreciate any help as cool lighting features are always a welcome addition to developments in my book!

Side note: will be getting in touch with EOS Light Media to see if they would take on the project...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbased View Post
Very very preliminary, but I've heard through the grapevine that the church property across from both the HUB and Avani Centre (King George and Fraser Highway southeast corner) may be partnering up with a developer to build out their land.

Looks to be around 4 acres of land.
Would be awesome if that turns out to be a reality. It would also "tie together" King George Station area to Innovation Boulevard. They're linking it right now along Whalley Boulevard with the extension and build out of the 8 total medial towers, the last of which will be across the street from Hub @ Fraser Highway. So creating that same link right along King George Station will be great.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Not sure if anyone can assist me, but I've been having some trouble locating development lighting by-laws for arterial streets in Surrey.

I'm helping a land owner get started on a new commercial project along 88th Ave and he wants to incorporate an aspect of public art via lighting display similar to the Tynehead pedestrian overpass.

Would appreciate any help as cool lighting features are always a welcome addition to developments in my book!

Side note: will be getting in touch with EOS Light Media to see if they would take on the project...
Honestly your best bet is to contact the City of Surrey's planning department. Then can likely direct you to the bylaw fairly easily.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 7:40 AM

I'm looking forward to whatever changes may be in store for 96 Av Fraser Hwy from King George to Whalley Blvd. Wonder when Whalley Blvd will be extended down to 96.

Last edited by iron; Jan 26, 2018 at 6:26 PM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
I'm looking forward to whatever changes may be in store for 96 Av from King George to Whalley Blvd. Wonder when Whalley Blvd will be extended down to 96.
I never even thought about it extending through, but it makes so much sense now that you mention it, especially once more than 2 of the 8 towers are done

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
I'm looking forward to whatever changes may be in store for 96 Av Fraser Hwy from King George to Whalley Blvd. Wonder when Whalley Blvd will be extended down to 96.
The Whalley Blvd extension is identified as a short-term project (1-3 years) in the 2017 10 year infrastructure plan. So sometime before 2020.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 6:43 AM

Surrey District Energy Centre from Scott Construction twitter:

https://twitter.com/ScottConstructs

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 6:56 PM

^Thanks for the update. That district energy centre is one slow moving project. They started excavating almost a year ago already. Feel like the park will not be opening in 2018 as planned.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post
^Thanks for the update. That district energy centre is one slow moving project. They started excavating almost a year ago already. Feel like the park will not be opening in 2018 as planned.
I imagine that there is quite a lot of ground work considering that they probably will have large hot water pipes coming in from different directions from multiple buildings.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 10:15 PM

According to a doctor in the building, Rize has bought the old yellow coloured medical building at 9656 KING GEORGE BLVD SURREY.

Demo and rezoning may be pursued pretty quick as building tenants have been told to begin looking for new offices etc.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
According to a doctor in the building, Rize has bought the old yellow coloured medical building at 9656 KING GEORGE BLVD SURREY.

Demo and rezoning may be pursued pretty quick as building tenants have been told to begin looking for new offices etc.
9656 King George, is that where City Centre 3 is supposed to go? I’m very per development, but I really like this old building, it’s Art Deco style is rare in Surrey and was definitely an asset on KGB.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blease View Post
9656 King George, is that where City Centre 3 is supposed to go? I’m very per development, but I really like this old building, it’s Art Deco style is rare in Surrey and was definitely an asset on KGB.
Nope, I believe City Centre 3 is directly east of City Centre 1.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blease View Post
Definitely added a nice variety in the architecture to the area.

This property is to the west of all the city centre buildings, but can very much be apart of the health/tech district I believe.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 12:13 AM

Thanks.
That should help fill in the area along King George Blvd south of Coast Capital.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 6:12 AM
retro_orange

Quote:

Oh fml. This is the type of building that needs to be protected. It's a great example of mid century design, of which Surrey has very few. There was talk a few years ago about putting that building on the Surrey heritage building inventory. So lame if they tear down this sturdy poured concrete structure. New windows, new paint and some tropical looking foliage and it would look amazing and really only uses a tiny piece of land in the grand scheme of things.

Once it's gone, it's gone.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro_orange View Post
Oh fml. This is the type of building that needs to be protected. It's a great example of mid century design, of which Surrey has very few. There was talk a few years ago about putting that building on the Surrey heritage building inventory. So lame if they tear down this sturdy poured concrete structure. New windows, new paint and some tropical looking foliage and it would look amazing and really only uses a tiny piece of land in the grand scheme of things.

Once it's gone, it's gone.
Very true, but it would need to be fully gutted as the interior is in less than stellar condition.

It would be pretty cool if they kept the facade at a minimum and combined it with the new building(s).

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 1:49 AM

More District Energy Centre shots from Scott Construction:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley