HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 8:36 PM
ハルウララ

statcan

NB's high belonging to a local community and low belonging to province are due to the rural nature of the province and the Acadiens, which are also mostly rural by community.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 8:38 PM

I'm a Canadian first, a Calgarian second, and an Albertan third.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Most Canadian flags you see in NS are on public property I'd say the provincial flag and Acadian flag are both more common there on private property.

To be honest if someone had a Canadian flag up I'd assume they were an immigrant or from Ontario or farther west.

The Canadian flag is also frequently paired with the Union flag.
I actually noticed way more Canadian flags in the Maritimes on private property than I expected, based on discussions on SSP. This was only a few years ago, too. Granted, the "Acadie" stuff was definitely way more prevalent in the areas it was relevant, and there is a fair amount of provincial flags as well, perhaps more than Canadian flags, but the Maple Leaf wasn't very uncommon.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:14 PM

Those Acadian-flag pictures are great. I spend a lot of time in the summer on the Acadian coast area between Shediac and Kouchibiguac, where they were taken, and it seems as if people are competing to see who can decorate the most banal objects with the Acadian flag and tricolour.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:37 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post

statcan

NB's high belonging to a local community and low belonging to province are due to the rural nature of the province and the Acadiens, which are also mostly rural by community.
We're average in sense of belonging to the country, and highest in belonging to the province and our community.

The provincial attachment is obvious enough - former country, isolated, island, a population whose overwhelming majority can trace their family heritage to one of just two European cities (Waterford, Ireland; Bristol, England). 100 different factors that on their own could result in a number that high, let alone combined.

The community one, though, intrigues me. I imagine a lot of it is simply because much of the province is rural, so you get the same thing you can find in every long-settled rural place - people guessing your surname by your face, people knowing exactly what town you're from and your religion (or family's religious background) based on surname, etc. And the city has pretty strong, active neighbourhoods as well. It doesn't work anymore for people my age, but anyone over 60 from St. John's will be able to guess which neighbourhood my mother's from based on surname, where she went to school, and probably name off a few of her relatives that they know.

We're also so Balkanized. Ontario has 440-or-so municipalities for however millions of people. Newfoundland has 271 municipalities for 500,000ish.

Reminds me of this Irishwoman's loving but near-scathing description:

Quote:
Newfoundland is not Canada, as the people there never tire of telling you.

It may all look the same to an outsider, but as you travel through the vast beauty of the landscape, you begin to lose yourself in the fractal variation of one bay or inlet that is crucially different to the inlet or bay before it, and the names you pass are more a story than a map: Random Island, Come by Chance, Witless Bay.
https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...orld-1.1538579

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Mar 8, 2018 at 9:51 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:39 PM

Canada;
Ottawa;

Ontario.

I feel the majority of Queen's Park's focus is on Toronto and I'm sure a lot of Ontarians outside the GTA feel the same way. You would think the Gatinois would have the same animosity towards Québec, considering the Provincial Government ignores them completely when it comes to health care and education and transportation, but I've never seen it.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:47 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
The community one, though, intrigues me. I imagine a lot of it is simply because much of the province is rural, so you get the same thing you can find in every long-settled rural place
The provinces with the highest sense of belonging to local community also are the most rural:

Urban/Rural splits amongst provinces -> Belonging to Community:

PEI: 47/53-> 38%
NB: 53/48-> 38%
NS: 57/43-> 36%
NL: 59/41-> 46%
SSK: 67/33-> 34%
MB: 72/28-> 32%
QC: 81/19-> 32%
AB: 83/17-> 29%
ON: 86/14-> 32%
BC: 86/14-> 32%

https://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tab...emo62a-eng.htm

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Manitoba needs a new flag. Apart from looking just like Ontario's, it has a pretty lame history... it was conjured up in the 60s when some people were pissed off about the fact that the Red Ensign was being replaced by the Maple Leaf nationally.

We need something more emblematic of Manitoba... I bet you'd see it used more often if that happened.
I used to feel like this, quite strongly actually. But after having lived in various commonwealth countries, I am now quite proud of our provincial flag. I've shown it to various Aussies and Kiwis, and it seems to elicit a sense of comradery and being tied culturally. Sure, it won't win any prizes for creativity, however it is emblematic of our commonwealth heritage, something many today seem too quick to want to disregard and something I now embrace wholeheartedly.

Regardless of it's reason for having been created, I'm quite fond of the flag and hope it never changes.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:52 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

statcan

Not surprised by this at all.

Quebec has a much higher percentage of its population than Newfoundland does that can be said to be "on the margins" of society: the anglophones and allophones which make up 15-20% of the population. This is not to say that none of these people don't identify with Quebec. Many and maybe even most of them do, but it's not as one-sided as with the francophones.

Also the figures show Quebec to have the highest percentage of people who identify very little or not at all with Canada.

It's quite a bit higher with Newfoundland, where identification with the province correlates very closely with identification with Canada.

Province vs. country seems much less of a mutually exclusive thing for people in NL than in Quebec.

I believe that polling generally shows that in Quebec the % of people identifying with Quebec primarily (over Canada) is in the 65-70% range.

If you strip out the francophone population of Quebec from the data, very few identify as Canadian only.

According to an article in the Montreal Gazette (that I can't link to - sorry), it's like:

1% Canadien only
7% Canadien first
20% Canadien and Québécois equally
40% Québécois first
31% Québécois only

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
I used to feel like this, quite strongly actually. But after having lived in various commonwealth countries, I am now quite proud of our provincial flag. I've shown it to various Aussies and Kiwis, and it seems to elicit a sense of comradery and being tied culturally. Sure, it won't win any prizes for creativity, however it is emblematic of our commonwealth heritage, something many today seem too quick to want to disregard and something I now embrace wholeheartedly.

Regardless of it's reason for having been created, I'm quite fond of the flag and hope it never changes.
That's funny, I used to be the other way around. I dreaded the thought of some made-up insta-symbol drawn up in response to a newspaper contest instead of our storied old ensign.

But then I found out the provincial flag only came to be in 1964 as a form of protest against the new Maple Leaf, which struck me as the silliest, most spiteful possible reason for creating a new flag. Although you make a good point in that the current setup allows us to wave both the modern, forward-looking standard (Maple Leaf) while keeping a foot in the traditions of the past (ensign).

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:56 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Canada;
Ottawa;

Ontario.

I feel the majority of Queen's Park's focus is on Toronto and I'm sure a lot of Ontarians outside the GTA feel the same way. You would think the Gatinois would have the same animosity towards Québec, considering the Provincial Government ignores them completely when it comes to health care and education and transportation, but I've never seen it.
It does exist among some Gatinois, but it's not super strong. Mostly among Franco-Ontarian families who live in Gatineau as if it was a suburb of Ottawa and Ontario.

But for most people in Gatineau, hating Quebec would be like hating your mom.

At least that's the impression I get.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I don't recall a lot of Ontario flags from when I lived there, which I honestly think has to do with being the largest and culturally dominant province: "default Canada". Lots of Canadian flags, especially in rural areas/cottage country, but not so many provincial ones (in my highly anecdotal experience).
One can argue that Ontario has the least interesting of all of the provincial flags.
There is no defining character, uniqueness or distinctiveness whatsoever about the current design, leaving very little that would allow for provincial identification or pride.
It's simply the British Flag Red Ensign design adorned with a few maple leaves - easily mistaken or confused with Canada's former flag from the first part of the last century.
I'm not sure how this could possibly engender any sort of pride or identification, so I'm skeptical of the claim that Ontarian's are the culturally dominant or noble "default Canadian's"

In Manitoba, the only other province to retain the archaic red ensign design, at least there's a visible buffalo to denote that the region was once populated with thousands of the animals across vast stretches of its southern prairies.

With Ontario, there's nothing to identify with in the provincial flag... so it doesn't surprise me to hear that many in this province would opt for the Canadian flag (red maple design) over its own provincial flag. Ultimately, when deciding which flag (or flags) to fly, I believe it's the banal simplicity of Ontario's provincial flag that results in it rarely being used outside of provincial government buildings.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 11:26 PM

Some have referred to Manitoba as "the Ontario of the Prairies."

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
I don't think I've ever seen a BC flag on a private residence, or anything but a government building, and even then it's unusual.

Canadian flags aren't very common either - maybe a few in a conservative suburban neighbourhood.
I've got one! But ya rare around here for some reason.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 11:41 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

To complement the Acadien post, a few local depictions...

The Pink Flag of Newfoundland by Elijah van der Giessen, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 12:02 AM

We have so many flags flown here it's sort of hard to keep count.

Honestly, the official provincial one may be the least common. People like to parade around with it when they're travelling, but pretty much everyone agrees it's hideous. I like how the tri-colour looks, but it's history would make it a tough sell to be a new official provincial flag.

Need to know which flag to fly?

If you're on deaths door: The Union Jack.
If you're from Labrador and people NEED to know: Labrador
If you're headed to Orlando and people NEED to know where you live: Provincial flag
If you're a hipster: Tri-colour
Middle-aged suburban family: Canadian flag

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 12:04 AM

Quote:

statcan

The part I find the most interesting is the correlation between big cities and a lower sense of community pride. Any province that has a metro of over 500,000 - or over 50% of its population living in metros of over 500,000 - have about 33% of people expressing strong local pride, or less.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 4:32 AM
The Vomit Bag.

findumonde

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 9:43 PM

In the Ottawa area, the Franco-Ontarian flag seems more common that the provincial flag.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franco-Ontarian_flag

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 9:44 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
If you're a hipster: Tri-colour
By Hipster you mean a true-born Newfoundland Republican, right?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada