HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 3:00 AM
Movin' on up

What I would love to see is WEM become much like Mall of America. That mall is hip, vibrant and very aesthetically pleasing. I was amazed at how much of a buzz there was in the atmosphere. Definitely a face lift is in need for WEM.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 4:41 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Or try Garage Burger for something more along the diner spectrum.
Come say hi to me.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 5:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
What I would love to see is WEM become much like Mall of America. That mall is hip, vibrant and very aesthetically pleasing. I was amazed at how much of a buzz there was in the atmosphere. Definitely a face lift is in need for WEM.
Honestly, when I went to MOA, I wasn't so impressed. True, the building was newer, and it didn't look like three expansions built on each other, but as far as stores, the selection was really quite generic, not nearly as trendy as what WEM offers. I'd also take WEM's attractions over MOA's any day.

Nicest mall I've ever been in was Century City just outside of Cape Town in South Africa. I never thought a shopping mall could be so fancy. I'm sure the ones in Dubai are also quite something -- THAT is what Edmonton should be shooting for.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0773|=\ View Post
Honestly, when I went to MOA, I wasn't so impressed. True, the building was newer, and it didn't look like three expansions built on each other, but as far as stores, the selection was really quite generic, not nearly as trendy as what WEM offers. I'd also take WEM's attractions over MOA's any day.

Nicest mall I've ever been in was Century City just outside of Cape Town in South Africa. I never thought a shopping mall could be so fancy. I'm sure the ones in Dubai are also quite something -- THAT is what Edmonton should be shooting for.
I checked out Century City last year when I was in Cape Town and yes, it is a very nice suburban mall, but I wasn't impressed with the store selection. I thought the V&A waterfront mall had way better stores, and it's hard to top its location.

Last edited by S_B_Russell; May 29, 2008 at 9:49 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 9:30 PM
Urban Advocate

It is unfortunate you are not coming in July or August when the vast majority of the festivals are on. The city comes alive during these times like nothing else...
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_B_Russell View Post
I checked out Century City last year when I was in Cape Town and yes, it is a very nice suburban mall, but I wasn't impressed with the store selection. I thought the V&A waterfront mall had way better stores, and it's hard to top its location.
Yeah, you're right. More ritz at V&A.

I found it hilarious how every single major mall in those cities, whether it was Jo'burg, Durban, Cape Town, wherever... they ALL claimed to be the largest mall in the Southern Hemisphere. It became a running joke with every city my touring group visited.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 4:06 AM

^Ha! So true.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 12:43 AM
Registered Hipster

Check out South Commons (Gateway Blvd & Anthony Henday), North America's largest 'open-air' retail development. It is quite something, so many box stores in one stop. Great PST-free shopping!

Take in "tour de 'spare change' " and walk along Jasper Avenue from Corona Station east to TELUS Plaza. Then head north along 100 ST NW to Churchill Square and take in the aura of inspiration that is Churchill Square & City Hall.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 12:51 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogerz View Post
Check out South Commons (Gateway Blvd & Anthony Henday), North America's largest 'open-air' retail development. It is quite something, so many box stores in one stop. Great PST-free shopping!

Take in "tour de 'spare change' " and walk along Jasper Avenue from Corona Station east to TELUS Plaza. Then head north along 100 ST NW to Churchill Square and take in the aura of inspiration that is Churchill Square & City Hall.

www. .com

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 3, 2008, 12:53 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
www. .com

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton