HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 1:35 AM

Heard that MGM Grand Hotel is going to expand and build a 580 ft tall tower (almost twice the height of the green building) next to the conference center, adding 1,700 more hotel rooms.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyFarrar View Post
In the Maxim video, you can see the Fontainebleau across the street, its a nice blue (or is that bleau ) color.
Contrary to popular belief, Fontainebleau is pronounced (fon-tan-blow) and not (fon-tan-blu). Blue in french is spelled bleu not bleau but this is besides the point because blue has nothing to do with the name. It is the name of a town in France, southeast of Paris. now with that out of the way, i cant wait to see the rendering from jazfingr.

Last edited by future29; Jan 19, 2007 at 8:40 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 3:14 PM

New tower crane at World Market Center.

Construction trailers setting up at Gehry's brain building site.

Last edited by mdiederi; Jan 19, 2007 at 10:37 PM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2007, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by future29 View Post
Contrary to popular belief, Fontainebleau is pronounced (fon-tan-blow) and not (fon-tan-blu). Blue in french is spelled bleu not bleau but this is besides the point because blue has nothing to do with the name. It is the name of a town in France, southeast of Paris. now with that out of the way, i cant wait to see the rendering from jazfingr.
Hah, I obviously dont know French

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiederi View Post
Heard that MGM Grand Hotel is going to expand and build a 580 ft tall tower (almost twice the height of the green building) next to the conference center, adding 1,700 more hotel rooms.
They don't need more rooms at MGM, 5000 is plenty, its the second biggest hotel in the world. They should add a second tower to The Mirage instead, they "only" have 3000 rooms.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 4:50 AM

i have worked with some people who are working on the fountainblea (sp) and every one pronounces it fountaine-blue. ive never heard a 'blow' version. it kinda sounds odd....is that how the city is pronounced?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 4:52 AM

oh. i just realized. for city center, none of the towers have signs on them (maybe cuz they are unsure of the look/names?) (or maybe they are staying away from branding on the towers?) also there is never a sign in the renderings....of course it would have at least 1 or 2 signs. right? i would doubt they wouldnt. (possibly it is yet another architectural design that will be 'unveiled' soon)

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 4:56 AM

someone mentioned a while back that the 2 leaning towers are out of place and block the main towers at citycenter.....and, after looking at the latest renderings, i might agree. do you think they would actually fit nicer if they were rotated 90 degrees. one leaning towards the strip, the other towards the main towers....?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 7:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyFarrar View Post
They don't need more rooms at MGM, 5000 is plenty, its the second biggest hotel in the world. They should add a second tower to The Mirage instead, they "only" have 3000 rooms.
Guess they have to keep up with their neighbors. The Tropicana across the street is going to build 9,276 hotel rooms.

You're right about the Mirage though. In the last MGM presentation they earmarked the employee garage in between the volcano and TI for development. This map shows the area in red on the Mirage site and it's right on Las Vegas Blvd. A boutique hotel would fit nicely there. It also shows a red area on the MGM grand site between the meeting center and the green Grand Hotel and that's where the new tower is proposed. It's all just rumor though and haven't seen anything official yet.

Look how much land they have available at Circus Circus that they can build something on to compete with Echelon and Fontainebleau in the future. It goes all the way up to Sahara along Industrial.

Last edited by mdiederi; Jan 20, 2007 at 3:23 PM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2007, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
i have worked with some people who are working on the fountainblea (sp) and every one pronounces it fountaine-blue. ive never heard a 'blow' version. it kinda sounds odd....is that how the city is pronounced?
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=fontainebleau

ignorance is bliss!

Last edited by future29; Jan 20, 2007 at 9:44 AM.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 4:17 AM

^^^ thats funny- someone should tell the people who are building the thing. I really never herd the 'correct' version.....wait....even the news says the the 'known' way...maybe turnberry changed the pronounciation?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2007, 8:51 AM
need input!!!

It's snobby French, like Le Reve. If you pronounce them correctly, you sound affected and stuck-up.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2007, 10:04 AM
need input!!!

Verge is a new condo proposal for downtown (no renderings yet). The project will be north of Bonanza and East of Main. You can see it on THE Downtown map I should have renderings soon.

Fontainebleau is still being pissy about their renderings , hopefully I can show them to you soon.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 4:03 AM

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 5:47 AM
Desert Dweller

I'm still here

Trump - Boring, never was excited about it
Maxim - I love it
Theplace - Blah, almost identical to Thehotel

Tropicana Towers staying
Technically

http://www.manhattanization.com/news...n-the-rise.rub

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 10:08 AM
need input!!!

OK I'll play,

Trump:
I hate gold glass.
I wouldn't want a condo without a balcony.
Even if I liked the Tower (which I do not) I wouldn't do anything that would put more money in that a$$holes pocket.

Maxim:
I like it, but only in Vegas could a red and silver building work.
It's too dense for the lot.
Owners of Sky are complaining about the project causing a permanent shadow on their pool area.

THE Place
I hate gold glass
Just as blah as THE Hotel, except it does have balconies.
To close to THE Pyramid

Last edited by jazfingr; Jan 24, 2007 at 10:19 AM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2007, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
Why does that article say that City Towers will be built in the "Las Vegas core"? The site is actually located in old down town Henderson.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 8:19 PM
LuxuryRealtyGroup.com

Cool Stardust Getting Ready to Implode

Amazing to watch the process of preparing Stardust for implosion. Each day more and more floors are exposed so you can look through the building to the mountains. No glass, just concrete and steel remaining.

This was shot today and each night more floors are prepared. http://www.luxuryrealtygroup.com/echelon-resort.html Echelon will start soon to take its place!!

Last edited by BruceH; Jan 25, 2007 at 9:21 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 8:36 PM
LuxuryRealtyGroup.com

Cool Maxim

When you consider the multi-Billion dollar projects with high end luxury architecture like Fontainebleau, Echelon with Shangri-La, Delano, Borgatta and Mondrian boutique hotels, Conrad-Waldorf-Astoria, Trump, Wynn and Palazzo, the Maxim project is not only way too dense and massive for its acreage imho but is also like placing Hooters next to Turnberry Place. It doesn't fit with the surrounding architecture and luxury level of nearby properties. Will be interesting to see the outcome of the Sky versus Maxim upcoming battle. If you spent over $1 million for your Sky condo, would you want a project like Maxim's current design next door to you or Echelon?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2007, 10:11 PM

^^^uh circus circus is there.....and aint goin anywhere.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations