HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 9:31 PM

Landry’s set to unveil Galveston Pleasure Pier plans

Quote:
Date: Friday, January 27, 2012

Landry's Inc. is scheduled to reveal detailed plans and renderings on Jan. 30 for its Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier, which is slated to open in May 2012.

Situated on Seawall Boulevard in Galveston at the former site of the Flagship Hotel at 25th Street, the Pleasure Pier will extend approximately 1,130 feet over the Gulf of Mexico and will include family oriented attractions including rides, games, food venues and retail shops —and one of Landry’s signature upscale restaurants, the Chart House.
http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/n...galveston.html

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 3:30 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I found this while searching google maps.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/...town-building/

Does anyone know if this project started?
They've had a sign on that building for like a year now, and nothing yet has been done to it, or at least nothing that's visible from the outside.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherguru18 View Post

Ta da! I give you the 23-story Astoria! I wouldn't get too excited yet. The land this is to be built on isn't even purchased yet and is in the middle of the BLVD Place development.
Website

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 10:31 PM

Looks like Metro is asking for comments on the Central Main Station Design Competition which will be the station in downtown where the red and the east end and southeast line intersect. There are some pretty sweet and bold designs, looks very promising.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 10:57 PM
Houston:Considered Good

Shop Architects has the best proposal, I hope we choose that one if we can afford it.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 11:28 PM
Ya Dig!!

In order it's 1, 5, 4, 3,............................2.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 2:47 AM

Any of them would achieve the purpose, but #3 is the only one having a design I like (although the color isn't great).

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 3:16 AM

Historic Galveston Amusement Pier to Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chron
As a boy growing up in Galveston, Tilman Fertitta rode his bike up and down the Seawall. He went to fairs and carnivals when they hit town and had a season pass to Sea-Arama Marineworld. In high school he worked as a lifeguard at the Flagship Hotel and engaged in another beach town tradition - flirting with out-of-town girls.

Now Fertitta, who built a fortune with a showman's flair, is resurrecting one of Galveston's most iconic tourist attractions - the Pleasure Pier. The $60 million project will put a roller coaster and Ferris wheel over the Gulf of Mexico and is expected to encourage visitors to extend their trips to the island.

It's the latest waterfront venture in Fertitta's dining and entertainment empire.

"Subliminally, Galveston has had a huge impact on me," Fertitta said in his first detailed public comments on the project. "I realized how people flock to the water. You are always going to do a lot of business by the water."

Construction is under way. After its scheduled late-May opening, the Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier will jut 1,000 feet out over the surf at 25th Street, where the original Pleasure Pier stood from 1943 until it was destroyed by Hurricane Carla in 1961. More recently, it was the site of the Flagship, an over-the-water hotel built in 1965 that was demolished after 2008's Hurricane Ike.

The project will feature 16 rides, carnival games and souvenir shops. Food vendors will offer sausage-on-a-stick and other tourist favorites. And it will house the state's first Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., which Fertitta owns through his Houston-based Landry's.

Fertitta said he aims to make the Pleasure Pier a first-rate waterfront tourist spot on par with the Navy Pier in Chicago and Santa Monica Pier in Southern California.

Most of the rides will be unique to Southeast Texas, said Mark Kane, regional director of Landry's theme park division.

Full Article

Last edited by Urbannizer; Jan 31, 2012 at 12:51 AM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 4:56 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
Oh man, that will really be amazing for Galveston! I hope that it wont be admission at the gate and more like how you can walk around Kemah and just pay to get onto certain rides and whatnot. Its really amazing that they put the money into and felt like Galveston could support such an ambitious project again.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skys the limit View Post
^^^^^^^
The Woodlands is actually a wholly owned subsidiary of a $3.0 billion dollar development company headquartered in Dallas called The Howard Hughes Corporation.

The Howard Hughes Corporation was spun off from General Growth Properties after it went through a reorganization in late 2010; then the newly formed The Howard Hughes Corporation selected Dallas as its headquarters city in February of 2011 as its base of operations.

Dallas-based The Howard Hughes Corporation took control of The Woodlands around mid-year 2011:

-----------------------------------------------------------

Howard Hughes buys up The Woodlands

Dallas Business Journal by Jennifer Dawson, Reporter
Date: Wednesday, June 29, 2011, 11:59am CDT

The Howard Hughes Corp. — owner of the Bridgeland master-planned community — has agreed to buy out the remaining interest it did not already own in The Woodlands for $117.5 million.

Dallas-based Howard Hughes (NYSE: HHC) said Wednesday it has a definitive agreement to acquire Morgan Stanley Real Estate Investing’s 47.5 percent interest in the 28,000-acre master-planned community north of Houston.

The deal consists of a cash payment of $20 million at closing and a $97.5 million non-interest bearing promissory note due December 1, 2011.

Howard Hughes, and its predecessor companies, have owned a majority interest in The Woodlands since 2004.

Howard Hughes will own all unsold property in The Woodlands, which as of March 31, amounted to 1,372 acres of unsold residential land, representing 4,532 lots, and 936 acres of unsold land for commercial use.

The Woodlands also has full or part ownership in 434,000 square feet of office space, 203,000 square feet of retail and service space, 865 rental apartment units. It also owns a 440-room conference center facility and 36-hole country club.

The acquisition is anticipated to close July 1, 2011 at which time The Woodlands will become a wholly owned subsidiary of Howard Hughes.

Howard Hughes Corp. was spun out of Chicago-based General Growth Properties Inc., after GGP emerged from bankruptcy protection in late 2010.

http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/ne...woodlands.html
The Woodlands is going to become its own city in 2014 I believe. Not sure what Howard Hughes Corporation's role in it will be like then. Never seen a city owned by a company before (unless you're talking about that one city near Disney World...Imagination, Florida?).

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 2:01 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Irvine, California is both a city and either a lot of it or all(not sure) is was owned and developed by the Irvine Company.

Celebration, Florida isn't its own city

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 4:02 PM
Ex Houstonian

photo by me

Newly installed track on Capital and La Branch St downtown.

photo by me

I hadnt been inside the restored courthouse but its absolutely gorgeous, its been open since September and you guys should go in there and check it out, its really one of the best complete restorations Ive ever seen.

Last edited by photoLith; Jan 31, 2012 at 4:26 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 11:34 PM
Endless Moments...

Fantastic. I love it...

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 12:47 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()_T View Post
that thing is going to get flattened by the next category 3 hurricane...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 1:16 AM

Bingo. Not even a 3. Just a Cat 2 like Ike with a Cat 4 surge.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 1:49 AM
Ex Houstonian

I'm sure they took all that into account somehow. Surely they know there's bound to be another hurricane hit the Galveston area. They wouldnt invest all that money to build this to just have it all wash away in the next storm.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
that thing is going to get flattened by the next category 3 hurricane...
That was my first thought as well.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 10:49 AM

Well, as Fertitta stated, "that is why you buy insurance ". Much like Kemah, until it happens I'm going to enjoy the place.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjhe View Post
Well, as Fertitta stated, "that is why you buy insurance ". Much like Kemah, until it happens I'm going to enjoy the place.
Did Kemah have a lot of damage from Ike? I had dinner on the boardwalk in about 2002. Enjoyed it a lot.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2012, 2:36 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
I think it did, a lot of it was shut down for months after the hurricane.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations