HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
What all closed besides Daily Jam?
Rott'n Grapes, Track Club (which isn't a restaurant per say), Snoh ice shavery…I could name others but these stand out. I guess because these are within blocks of each other and all closed like a week or two apart. Gave me the impression of there being a surge of venues closing.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2019, 5:19 AM

Oh, didn’t know about the Rott n grapes closure

Old Posted Dec 21, 2019, 10:01 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Oh, didn’t know about the Rott n grapes closure
The original Uptown location is still open. The bigger, more ambitious one at 3rd Ave & Roosevelt didn't make it, though.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2019, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Rott'n Grapes, Track Club (which isn't a restaurant per say), Snoh ice shavery…I could name others but these stand out. I guess because these are within blocks of each other and all closed like a week or two apart. Gave me the impression of there being a surge of venues closing.
I heard Track Club is temporarily closed... and should be back up and running in the New Year. Not sure if anyone else can confirm this.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2019, 5:34 PM
METRO: Encanto

https://www.abc15.com/entertainment/...day-in-phoenix

Filling one of the empty holes in Tapestry.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2019, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesthelimit View Post
I heard Track Club is temporarily closed... and should be back up and running in the New Year. Not sure if anyone else can confirm this.
I wish that were the case with the Track Club but I haven’t heard about it re-opening. Would be cool if Charlie could pull it off! Daily Jam on the other hand mentioned re-opening Jan 8th in their statement.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2019, 7:47 PM

Was riding LR past Barro's and thought I saw a "Now Open" sign.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2019, 6:04 PM
Modulator

Didn't see this coming. Not much in the article to explain why except that the lease is ending. No mention of another possible location and if it has anything to do with the construction of Adeline.

Quote:
Hard Rock Cafe in downtown Phoenix closing after 24 years

PHOENIX - FOX 10 has learned that the Hard Rock Cafe in downtown Phoenix is closing its doors in the new year. The restaurant and bar along Jefferson Street at 2nd Street will be shutting down on February 28, 2020.

The business in the Collier Center has been at this location across from Talking Stick Resort Arena for the past 24 years.

In a statement to FOX 10, Hard Rock International says:

“Since opening the doors of Hard Rock Cafe® Phoenix in 1995, Hard Rock International has enjoyed serving this dynamic community and playing a role in the city’s dining culture.

In February, the lease for the Cafe will expire. As a result, the location will close on Friday, February 28, 2020.”
Source: https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/ha...after-24-years

Old Posted Dec 31, 2019, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Didn't see this coming. Not much in the article to explain why except that the lease is ending. No mention of another possible location and if it has anything to do with the construction of Adeline.

Source: https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/ha...after-24-years
I dont mind this.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2019, 7:10 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I dont mind this.
Granted Hard Rock is a chain, but tourists like to stop at Hard Rock and buy touristy shirts and stuff. It's good advertisement for someone living in another country to be wearing a Hard Rock Phoenix shirt (as tacky as it may sound).

I myself have not been to Hard Rock since living here, so I guess I better go at least once before it closes so i can say I've been there

Old Posted Dec 31, 2019, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Granted Hard Rock is a chain, but tourists like to stop at Hard Rock and buy touristy shirts and stuff. It's good advertisement for someone living in another country to be wearing a Hard Rock Phoenix shirt (as tacky as it may sound).

I myself have not been to Hard Rock since living here, so I guess I better go at least once before it closes so i can say I've been there
Always wondered how this stayed open. I only went once. It’s awful, but agree that it’s sad to lose a staple on a prominent corner. Hoping something better will quickly fill the space.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2019, 7:59 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Always wondered how this stayed open. I only went once. It’s awful, but agree that it’s sad to lose a staple on a prominent corner. Hoping something better will quickly fill the space.
I've heard that from a few people. Is it just this Hard Rock? I've been to several Hard Rock cafe's in other cities and the food and service has always been good.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2019, 8:53 PM

Hard Rock won't be missed.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2019, 9:02 PM

Hard Rock is an old and stale brand, long past its reasonable popularity.

This is for the best.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2020, 4:35 AM
self-important urbanista

When Hard Rock Cafe opened in its original Phoenix location on Camelback, it seemed like a big deal. Along with Planet Hollywood down the street, HRC was seen as as a sign that Phoenix had arrived. What was so absurd about it all was the the original HRC Phoenix was in a shopping center at 26th St & Camelback designed specifically to highlight the restaurant with the other tenants obscured behind it. That arrangement failed and when HRC moved downtown, the shopping center was torn down to make way for an apartment building.

The relocation to a site near the convention center and sports venues signified to me that HRC was no longer trendy but instead a destination for play-it-safe fans from the suburbs and out-of-town visitors. Around the world, HRC has closed numerous restaurant locations. Under its current ownership by the Seminole Tribe of Florida, the main focus these days seems to be on hotels and gaming.

In other news, Woody's Macayo in Midtown announced that today was its last day of business. A reason for the closure was not stated, but my guess is that it has something to do with the building proposed for that site. The Macayo's brand will continue in other locations, although all but the Depot Cantina in Tempe are now under new ownership.

Last edited by exit2lef; Jan 1, 2020 at 5:36 AM.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 1:47 PM
self-important urbanista

Pa'la Downtown

Pa'la has gained a lot of fans at its current location on 24th St. Now it looks like a second location is coming to downtown on the Bar Smith / Monarch block of Washington Street. I'm glad to see this block being activated with more good restaurants to go with existing neighbors like Cartel, Zookz, and La Piazza:

https://www.phoenix.gov/cityclerksit...search=pa%27la

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 3:26 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
In other news, Woody's Macayo in Midtown announced that today was its last day of business. A reason for the closure was not stated, but my guess is that it has something to do with the building proposed for that site. The Macayo's brand will continue in other locations, although all but the Depot Cantina in Tempe are now under new ownership.
I may be due to the upcoming apartments for that block. I'll see if I can dig up the permits status for that development. But, if it's not due to the project, it could be due to dwindling customers. When I used to work a block down the road at the Financial Center, I and many of my co-workers had went to the new location a few times. The service had always been horrendous. On my last visit there, a group of us sat for 20 mins before anyone even came up to our table. By the time our food came, our lunch break was over and we all had to get it in to-go boxes. No apologies, no offers for a discount or anything on our lunch. I didn't go anymore after that experience. For several months when I would take my lunch walks, I definitely noticed the lunch crowd was steadily declining. With that and a proposed project, Macayo's time was limited. I do not see them opening another location any time in the future.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 3:43 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
I may be due to the upcoming apartments for that block. I'll see if I can dig up the permits status for that development. But, if it's not due to the project, it could be due to dwindling customers. When I used to work a block down the road at the Financial Center, I and many of my co-workers had went to the new location a few times. The service had always been horrendous. On my last visit there, a group of us sat for 20 mins before anyone even came up to our table. By the time our food came, our lunch break was over and we all had to get it in to-go boxes. No apologies, no offers for a discount or anything on our lunch. I didn't go anymore after that experience. For several months when I would take my lunch walks, I definitely noticed the lunch crowd was steadily declining. With that and a proposed project, Macayo's time was limited. I do not see them opening another location any time in the future.
Agreed. The Midtown location was one of only two retained by the original family owners. The other is the Depot Cantina in Tempe, and I suspect that will eventually close in favor of another use for the historic train station building it occupies. The rest of the Macayo chain, with its restaurants all in suburban locations, is now under different ownership.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 4:01 PM
Modulator

Apparently Snooze has opened up. Here's an inside look for those that have not been yet. I like their throwback to vinyl in some of the designs. Looks good.

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/slid...oenix-11416885

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Agreed. The Midtown location was one of only two retained by the original family owners. The other is the Depot Cantina in Tempe, and I suspect that will eventually close in favor of another use for the historic train station building it occupies. The rest of the Macayo chain, with its restaurants all in suburban locations, is now under different ownership.
I was driving thru tempe last night and saw a Macayos coming soon sign on the old Dennys right of Scottsdale and the 202. So I assume the depot cantina will be no more?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest