HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 4:05 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelMonkey View Post
Aware the dumping is old but the suit isn't. There was some debate on the outcome and if what was being pumped into the river actually was cause for action.
The AG would not get involved if there wasn't a cause for action. Pretty sure they'll be paying some hefty fines.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 6:59 PM

Seems silly to me. Out west when they were tearing out old silted in dams, at first they made a huge effort to stabilize or truck out the silt. Thousands of dump trucks to dump the silt in some landfill. Then they came to their senses and realized they could just let the river flush it downstream and nothing bad happened.
A little silt never hurt a river. What do people think the bottom is made of?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 10:44 PM
BANNED

^what are u talking about, the environmental standards of 1930? I think we’ve moved on from that era bc environmental science shows that silt is supposed to accumulate slowly over time. When it’s dumped by humans it kills plants first, then fish. The law is the law, and if it’s not enforced in one case, there’s nothing to stop the next person from dumping. Also, doesn’t it just strike you as shitty to dump in a river? I mean, have some respect for yourself and others.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 7:05 PM

Tower crane permit came in yesterday. As some have speculated it is indeed a Favco 760D

Old Posted Nov 10, 2018, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyrview View Post
^what are u talking about, the environmental standards of 1930? I think we’ve moved on from that era bc environmental science shows that silt is supposed to accumulate slowly over time. When it’s dumped by humans it kills plants first, then fish. The law is the law, and if it’s not enforced in one case, there’s nothing to stop the next person from dumping. Also, doesn’t it just strike you as shitty to dump in a river? I mean, have some respect for yourself and others.
Thank you! Not to mention there's much more than just "silt" in that slurry. Definitely heavy metals, chemicals, and god knows what else that was just being poured into a river that the city has been trying to revive from an industrially instituted coma for the last two decades.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 7:35 AM
Chicago

November 8, 2018

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 12:17 PM

Nov 7

Nov 5

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Not to mention there's much more than just "silt" in that slurry. Definitely heavy metals, chemicals, and god knows what else...
You got a source for that or is this more of feels > reals?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2018, 4:19 PM

Cool

They were pumping it out of the bottom of a cassion, probably safe to say there isn't much at that depth in terms of contamination and the Chicago river at this location isn't that polluted. It's not like the town where I grew up that had a series of old Mill ponds along a creek. A factory decided to dump PCBs into the floor drains the led directly into the top mill pond and so every single pond was laden with PCBs all the way down to bedrock. They literally diverted the river through giant steel tubes and broke out the CAT mining shovels and took it all away. Just recently they dicovered yet more contamination down stream in the park and rapids we used to play in... Literally dug up the whole Park and pumped the sludge through giant bladders allowing it to settle and mix with enzymes that broke the PCBs down...

Just goes to show that even in "small town America" you can be letting your kids play in a superfund site...

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerWaschbär View Post
You got a source for that or is this more of feels > reals?
What?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2018, 3:21 AM

Nov 12

Nov 13

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 6:54 AM

Old Posted Nov 20, 2018, 8:31 AM

Massing looks great but i don't care for the glass box thats jutting out from crown!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie77 View Post
Massing looks great but i don't care for the glass box thats jutting out from crown!
What glass box?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 3:02 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Taken this morning, 11/21 from across the river

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
They were pumping it out of the bottom of a cassion, probably safe to say there isn't much at that depth in terms of contamination and the Chicago river at this location isn't that polluted. It's not like the town where I grew up that had a series of old Mill ponds along a creek. A factory decided to dump PCBs into the floor drains the led directly into the top mill pond and so every single pond was laden with PCBs all the way down to bedrock. They literally diverted the river through giant steel tubes and broke out the CAT mining shovels and took it all away. Just recently they dicovered yet more contamination down stream in the park and rapids we used to play in... Literally dug up the whole Park and pumped the sludge through giant bladders allowing it to settle and mix with enzymes that broke the PCBs down...

Just goes to show that even in "small town America" you can be letting your kids play in a superfund site...
Even in the sticks nothing should ever be bought without at least a Phase I ESA or a Phase II if it feels at all sketchy. Loved the buried, unlicensed, chemical dump one rural (becoming suburban) landowner tried to sell us as a clean greenfield site.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2018, 4:45 PM

I'm working on property now where a UST was removed in 1999. Someone prior to WWII decided they needed a place to store fuel oil so they dug a hole next to the railway embankment, bought an oil car, and pushed if off the tracks into the hole and buried it. That's just hilariously bad. I can't imagine what kind of nonsense like that is going on in China right now...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 3:31 AM

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 3:39 AM

Nov 21

Old Posted Nov 23, 2018, 4:41 AM
DENNAB

So this thing is like right in the water...

That's kinda neat

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive