HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
This was on the south side of ryan between Lady Russell & the north west trail.

Not the plan I was talking about. Since the plan I was talking about was a single street Between École Le Sommet, Whisperwood Drive, North of Ryan, and South of Holland.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 3:18 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

We now have a site plan for the new anglophone middle school in the nortwest end:

In other news, Moncton city council caved to indignant area residents concerned about the density of the proposed plan for the Mountain Way subdivision and have voted to hold off on approving the subdivision plan (for now). They are asking the developer to reconsider and perhaps redesign the subdivision for only single family homes on larger lots. The developer was not pleased........

I am somewhat disappointed by this decision to delay. I can understand the concerns of area residents that the density of this subdivision might be incongruent with surrounding properties, but times are changing, and higher density land use planning will be necessary in the future as the city continues to grow and infill. Hopefully some accommodation can be made to allow some semblance of the original plan to proceed.

In any event, the middle school will be built, and Maplehurst will be extended to Ryan Street. What has to be decided is what type of development will be allowed in the Mountain Way subdivision.......

Last edited by MonctonRad; Feb 21, 2018 at 3:50 AM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 3:32 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Meanwhile, the other development plan for the northwest end off of the south side of Ryan Street to the east of the Horsman roundabout passed first reading:

I'm surprised by this, and of the two proposals, I personally had more of an issue with this one given the odd elongate nature of the lot, and the procession of small apartment buildings down the hill in behind another subdivision with single family homes.

It's hard to see why city council voted to give initial approval to this subdivision plan, and not to the Mountain Way plan. The only thing I can think of is the fact that several dozen disgruntled citizens actually showed up to express disapproval with the Mountain Way plan. The squeaky wheel gets the grease I guess........

Last edited by MonctonRad; Feb 21, 2018 at 3:43 AM.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 12:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

CBC article about the Mountain Way Estates development dispute:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...road-1.4544351

It's not often you hear people talking favourably about living next to a bog, and objecting to infilling a bog. I guess they must like mosquitos........

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 1:06 PM

This is just self-serving nimbyism.. to think that you are going to buy a house in the fastest growing area of one of the fastest growing city's in canada and have your own free personal forest is foolish.. regardless of what developers say to make a sale. It doesn't take much foresight to know that that area will be completely infilled in 10 years. You want woods live in the country.

I do feel for the folks who have lived on ryan rd for 20 years though..

""It was understood there was going to be no development," he said.

"If this happens I'm pretty sure I'll be selling my house and moving somewhere I can have a little bit of privacy in my backyard, I'll most likely end up taking my tax dollars outside the city.""

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammn_guy View Post
"It was understood there was going to be no development," he said.
One should never assume this. Or believe anyone else who says it.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammn_guy View Post
This is just self-serving nimbyism.. to think that you are going to buy a house in the fastest growing area of one of the fastest growing city's in canada and have your own free personal forest is foolish.. regardless of what developers say to make a sale. It doesn't take much foresight to know that that area will be completely infilled in 10 years. You want woods live in the country.

I do feel for the folks who have lived on ryan rd for 20 years though..

""It was understood there was going to be no development," he said.

"If this happens I'm pretty sure I'll be selling my house and moving somewhere I can have a little bit of privacy in my backyard, I'll most likely end up taking my tax dollars outside the city.""
I was there, and everyone who spoke against it sounded like someone was taking away there land. It was self serving all the way. Most of them seemed to not realize there homes would not be there if it was not for projects like this one either.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 3:30 PM

From what I can see, only seven existing properties on Teaberry look like they will be directly backing on the multi-tenant townhouses. I'm sure they can create a buffer for privacy. Same with the properties on Ryan. What I do find interesting is no objection to the School which will definitely increase traffic.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 1:57 PM

I'm no engineer but it never made sense to me that they never connected Westbrook Circle with Lady Russel, especially considering all the headaches they had with the flooding and bridge issues, putting a road beside the baseball field up to where Lady Russel and Edington meet would have created an alternate exit.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2018, 2:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monctonwatch View Post
I'm no engineer but it never made sense to me that they never connected Westbrook Circle with Lady Russel, especially considering all the headaches they had with the flooding and bridge issues, putting a road beside the baseball field up to where Lady Russel and Edington meet would have created an alternate exit.
I agree. I think it's a conscious planning decision that there isn't a connector. Maybe they're worried about through traffic in a residential neighbourhood???

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monctonwatch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I agree. I think it's a conscious planning decision that there isn't a connector. Maybe they're worried about through traffic in a residential neighbourhood???
Westbrook Circle is still seen as it was 30 years+. The assault of an inocent man by gang banggers (None of them lived in Wesbrook Circle area), Or the break in, and theft from the NB Housing Brats (Now public housing[NB Housing] actually vets who they place in the units that are available in the area).

Because of people who seem to keep there heads in the sand there where complaints to the city that if a road was added that Crimes in the Penrose area would rise.

Also like to point out that the city has had meetings with Residents of Westbrook Circle, and for those who have been there know we where lied to, and told plans to extend Penrose to Westbrook Circle where in the works.

Last edited by Scarface; Mar 5, 2018 at 11:56 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2018, 11:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

- The Maple Leaf Seafood Restaurant is now open. The parking lot is packed.

- It looks as if they are preparing to install the signage at Pur & Simple in Plaza 1909.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 9:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Pur & Simple is apparently planning to open on March 27th.

https://www.facebook.com/events/173245649976526/

Last edited by MonctonRad; Mar 6, 2018 at 9:54 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 5:16 AM

[QUOTE=MonctonRad;8108760]- The Maple Leaf Seafood Restaurant is now open. The parking lot is packed.

What is this place?
Where is this place?
Why is it packed when I've never heard of M L S R before?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 11:26 AM

[QUOTE=Budyser;8110628]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
- The Maple Leaf Seafood Restaurant is now open. The parking lot is packed.

What is this place?
Where is this place?
Why is it packed when I've never heard of M L S R before?
It's in the old Golden Eagle... then Tak's Thai Kitchen, then a few names I forget, then Sushi Jet... now Maple Leaf Seafood Restaurant location on Mountain Rd. across from the Lounsbury's Plaza.

There were still about 15 cars there last night at 18:45, that's a good sign. The Facebook page has no menu (or didn't yesterday) which is disappointing but from their pictures it looks good, it's more of a fusion restaurant, the dishes seem to have an asian flair vs. the ever delicious Skipper Jack which offers the traditional fare.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 2:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Soul Flower Salon/Spa is set to open in the recently vacated Ego location in Hastings Ridge on Mountain Road in April.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 6:10 PM

[QUOTE=Feneant;8110746]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post

It's in the old Golden Eagle... then Tak's Thai Kitchen, then a few names I forget, then Sushi Jet... now Maple Leaf Seafood Restaurant location on Mountain Rd. across from the Lounsbury's Plaza.

There were still about 15 cars there last night at 18:45, that's a good sign. The Facebook page has no menu (or didn't yesterday) which is disappointing but from their pictures it looks good, it's more of a fusion restaurant, the dishes seem to have an asian flair vs. the ever delicious Skipper Jack which offers the traditional fare.

The photos of their menu on Facebook are far too small for me to read the print. (Why oh why do restaurants/businesses do this???)
I sent them a FB message and they very kindly messaged me back within the hour with proper photos of their menu, during what is surely the busiest part of their day. So good on them!
I'm looking forward to trying them out.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 1:23 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Pur & Simple sign being installed (from their Facebook page)

Old Posted Mar 10, 2018, 3:35 PM

There is work hapening on the education, and renovation front.
Harrison Trimble High School has a sign out front, and the majority of the parking seems to be blocked off with Shipping containers, and fencing. I wonder what part of the school there updating now.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 8:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Proposal for a 46 unit Seniors Care Facility at 599 Ryan Street.

A mix of seniors apartments and assisted living facilities.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Mar 16, 2018 at 3:16 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces