HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 30, 2017, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Impressive regular season stats. Stamps giving up less than 18 points per game to this point in this season. But playoffs, ugh.
I think last years grey cup failure will be motivation for the players and the coaches this year. Bo looked really good last night and Williams running was awesome.

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 2:46 PM

Stories I'm following:

Andrew Harris, of Winnipeg, has five games left to catch 16 passes to reach 100, gain 282 yards via pass to get 1000, and rush for 207 yards to get 1000.

Receptions: 84/100
Receiving yards 718/1000
Rushing yards 793/1000

If he can do that he would be the first, I believe, in pro football to reach 1000 yards in both rushing and receiving in a season.

Brad Sinopoli has three games left to catch 12 passes for 100, and gain 11 yards receiving for 1000 this season and third in a row.

Receptions: 88/100
Receiving yards 989/1000

Surprising to see that Canadian backup QB Brandon Bridge (7) has only one less touchdown pass than one of the highest paid QBs in the league Zach Collaros.

Also surprising is that the other Canadian QB, Andrew Buckley's stats are better than the oft touted James Franklin in Edmonton. You often hear of Franklin in talks about moving to another team needing a QB but you never hear that about Buckley who has looked good in the little time he has been given.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 3:24 PM

No both Mashall Faulk and Roger Craig had 1000 yard rushing and 1000 yard receiving seasons in the NFL. It has been done before just not in the CFL yet.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2017, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
No both Mashall Faulk and Roger Craig had 1000 yard rushing and 1000 yard receiving seasons in the NFL. It has been done before just not in the CFL yet.
I sit corrected. I thought I had read somewhere that what I had posted was the case, I guess why that`s why I qualified it with (I believe).

Actually kind of surprising that it`s been done in the NFL and not the CFL.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 2:57 PM

2 days after rushing for 157 yards and 2 TD's C.J. Gable has been traded to Edmonton. Hamilton treating the loss to Toronto as the last nail in the coffin for their playoff hopes?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25grapes View Post
2 days after rushing for 157 yards and 2 TD's C.J. Gable has been traded to Edmonton. Hamilton treating the loss to Toronto as the last nail in the coffin for their playoff hopes?
I heard they needed the cap space due to Masoli getting games played bonuses and they had Alex Green who played well against BC

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 4:09 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Wow! Fairly big name as far as CFL trades go.
What comes back Hamilton's way - draft pick ?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 4:21 PM

^ Unknown, it's two names from Edmonton's neg list but they don't have to disclose who they are. Not really far for the fan base of either team IMO.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 4:53 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones2451 View Post
I heard they needed the cap space due to Masoli getting games played bonuses and they had Alex Green who played well against BC
It was the ideal moment to trade CJ Gable, no doubt.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2017, 6:16 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

I always liked Gable, didn't think he was as old as he is though.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 12:19 AM
Starring as himself

Brandon Bridge looks like the real deal ... amazing how some guys just "get it" about playing the Canadian game, and others who were equally good or better in college don't even come close.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 2:13 AM
Rational urbanist

God I hate the lions so much

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 12:22 PM

Updated: Stories I'm following:

Andrew Harris, of Winnipeg, has four games left to catch 12 passes to reach 100, gain 217 yards via pass to get 1000, and rush for 181 yards to get 1000.

Receptions: 88/100
Receiving yards 783/1000
Rushing yards 819/1000

If he can do that he would be the first CFL player to reach 1000 yards in both rushing and receiving in a season.

Brad Sinopoli has two games left to catch 9 passes for 100, he has now passed 1000 yards receiving this season for the third time in a row.

Receptions: 91/100
Receiving yards 1009/1000

Canadian backup QB Brandon Bridge enters the Toronto game in relief to pull it out for the Riders. He is positioning himself to become the first full time Canadian starter QB in a long long time.

Jerome Messam still leading the league in rushing yards (897) and rushing TDs (9) He has four games left to gain 103 yards to get to 1000

Rushing yards 897/1000

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
That was quite the onside kick by Ottawa. I don't think I saw one like that before.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 2:19 PM

The cool story behind why Genie Bouchard was at the Argos game
Drew Edwards 3downnation.com October 5, 2017

So back in July, I wrote an exceedingly dumb post entitled: “What the hell is Genie Bouchard doing at the Argos game?

The article posed what I felt was a reasonable question – what brought Canadian tennis star Genie Bouchard to the Toronto Argonauts game? – in an unreasonable way. Readers felt the post was either a) insulting the CFL and the Argos b) insulting to Genie Bouchard or c) generally asinine. Many felt it was all three.

And they were right.

I’ve written over 1,700 posts for 3Down since its inception in May 2015 and while I’m not necessarily proud of all of them, the Bouchard piece is the only one I’d actually like to have back. Even if I’d taken a different tone – “Genie Bouchard is at the Argo game, isn’t that cool?” – everything would have been fine. Instead, I reached for the bottle of snark and spilled it all over myself.

(I didn’t take it down because nothing ever disappears on the internet so I just acknowledged my mistake in the comments section and took my well-deserved lumps. I’ve also stopped doing snarky posts anonymously.)

Still, the question lingered… how’d she end up at an early-season Argos game against the Ottawa Redblacks on a random Monday night? It felt like there was a story there, somewhere.

Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s great Bouchard was at a CFL game, for all kinds of reasons – she’s got almost as many Twitter followers as the league and all nine teams combined – and as a local radio host pointed out, her social media accounts contain pics and posts from any number of sporting events. She’s an elite athlete and it’s hardly surprising she likes to watch other elite athletes do their thing.

(The only criticism that annoyed me, levelled by CFL communications staffer Paulo Senra, was that the post was sexist: I guarantee you I would have asked the same question if Federer or Nadal or El Shapo showed up. The Star did a story on the Maple Leafs’ Mitch Marner being an Argo fan and we also did one on Dart Guy.)

Anyway, the mystery eventually got solved thanks to an anonymous tipster and a little journalistic elbow grease and the answer is both boring and somehow intriguing:

Greg Ellingson left her tickets.

The Ottawa Redblacks receiver was introduced to her through CFL kicker Chris Milo’s sister – they’re both from Montreal and apparently tight – when Ellingson and Milo played together in 2015 and 2016. Both Ellingson and Bouchard train in the same area of Florida during the winter as well.

Now sources that shall remain nameless insist that there is no “there” and the whole thing was just a friendly gesture on Ellingson’s part after realizing she’d be in town to do Rogers Cup publicity. Given how much trouble we got into for the first post, I think we’ll just stay away from any TMZ-style innuendo if that’s OK with everybody.

So there you have it: Genie Bouchard was at the Argo game because Greg Ellingson left her tickets.

Isn’t that cool?

Last edited by elly63; Oct 8, 2017 at 2:31 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 4:17 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
That was quite the onside kick by Ottawa. I don't think I saw one like that before.
If you think I'm watching it again you're out of your mind

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 4:26 PM

Glad to see my Esks get out of their funk and FINALLY win a game after losing 6 in a row.

Don't know if they'll win anymore this year but we shall see. Calgary and Sask will give us a hard time coming up here.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Lots of room on the Stamps bandwagon!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 6:34 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Lots of room on the Stamps bandwagon!
Never ever! Memories of us competing with the Stampeders for the best team in the west are too fresh for that. Now that I'm in Winnipeg the Bombers will be team #2!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 7:10 PM

BC Lions fans on here...can someone explain to me why attendance has dipped so much in Vancouver?
Fan apathy?
Team not doing so well in the standings?
Other things to do in Vancouver(Canucks, Whitecaps, skiing, etc.)
Ownership?

As a huge CFL fan I'm really worried to see that happening out there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada