HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 7:37 PM

^ teal would be a good choice. I'd hate to return to the days when 3 out of 4 Eastern teams wore predominantly blue uniforms.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 9:42 PM

Potential CFL team owners working behind the scenes to bring franchise to Halifax
CTV Atlantic atlantic.ctvnews.ca Friday, January 26, 2018

The group that's working to bring a CFL franchise to Halifax appears to be playing the long game.

The potential owners are working behind the scenes to line up funding, sponsorship, a name, and a stadium – all in time for kickoff in 2020 or 2021.

“We're going to spend some time talking with the city, with the province, and even starting conversations with some local organizations that have indicated that they have a desire to talk about a sponsorship,” says Anthony LeBlanc, who is leading the effort.

The potential franchise doesn't have a name, but the group owns the Atlantic Schooners trademark.

“We just saw that there is an awful lot of excitement around that name,” says LeBlanc. “I'm not sitting here today saying that is going to be the name, but we felt that it certainly had a lot of strong potential.”

They also don't have a home, and that's been a major hurdle dating back to the 1980s. Even then, governments have been unwilling to commit large amounts of public money.

"It has to be a large development like you see in other markets like Ottawa, where you see restaurants and mixed use retail and even residential,” LeBlanc says.

As the group hones in on a stadium location, it's also working on economic impact analysis. LeBlanc is pushing for more private investment than other stadiums in Regina, Winnipeg and Ottawa.

“We know that the onus is on us to put together a plan that works for everyone, including and most importantly taxpayers,” he says.

The group hasn't asked the province or municipality for money yet. Both say there are options aside from a direct investment.

“If they can do it where we pay for our contribution through potential future revenues that might not have existed otherwise, then that's a big win for the community,” says Halifax Mayor Mike Savage.

“Ours would have to be, whether it's a payroll remittance or something of that nature,” says Nova Scotia Premier Stephen McNeil.

In the meantime, the ownership group will test the waters in public. A "name the team" contest is likely coming soon, along with a season ticket drive. LeBlanc is aiming for 10,000 fans to buy in in anticipation of the first East Coast kickoff.

With files from CTV Atlantic’s Sarah Ritchie.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 7:27 PM

Halifax Explosions is a name that being discussed right now, obviously a touch controversial. What do people think of that?

The nautical suggestions aren't bad, I kind of like Privateers personally, reminds me of that song...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 7:28 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Halifax Explosions is a name that being discussed right now, obviously a touch controversial. What do people think of that?

The nautical suggestions aren't bad, I kind of like Privateers personally, reminds me of that song...
Sounds like an XFL team.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 7:35 PM
arf

^When I first saw that they were floating ideas around, I was tempted to suggest that its been a while since the CFL had two teams pretty much named the same thing, so I was going to go with Halifax Bombers (satirically.)

I don't actually mind it, but other names are better. Regina has a baseball team named the Cyclones. I think it is perfectly fine for a team name to incorporate that. It pays homage to history which is not a bad thing. That said, I think other less Halifax-centric names are better if they are going to market to Atlantic Canada.

Although given how hard it is to travel between NL and any where in the rest of Atlantic Canada, the number of fans that might make a more than once a year or once every couple of year trip to see football in Halifax is probably minimal at best.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
Sounds like an XFL team.
Haha, you win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^When I first saw that they were floating ideas around, I was tempted to suggest that its been a while since the CFL had two teams pretty much named the same thing, so I was going to go with Halifax Bombers (satirically.)

I don't actually mind it, but other names are better. Regina has a baseball team named the Cyclones. I think it is perfectly fine for a team name to incorporate that. It pays homage to history which is not a bad thing. That said, I think other less Halifax-centric names are better if they are going to market to Atlantic Canada.

Although given how hard it is to travel between NL and any where in the rest of Atlantic Canada, the number of fans that might make a more than once a year or once every couple of year trip to see football in Halifax is probably minimal at best.
Agreed, I think they should try to brand themselves as a Maritimes team. I would say Atlantic Canada, but I really hope they can put a team in NFLD one day, I can see them getting behind a team the same way Sask does.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 8:00 PM

^ They'd be crazy not to brand themselves as the maritime regional team. Why wouldn't they? It's not like anyone else can really challenge them for that title.

That said, I really think they should go with 'Schooners' or something similarly innocuously nautical as a team name. I've seen some of the suggestions floating around on Twitter and I'm not crazy about some of ones which evoke historical tragedy or aren't really universally applicable (Acadians) or understood (Kraken).

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 8:28 PM

Atlantic Destroyers of Atlantic Storm would be good names

Old Posted Jan 29, 2018, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
It's not popular with many and the furor helped lead to this.

CFL issues statement regarding potential Halifax team name
CFL.ca Staff

TORONTO — A week after a fan social media account generated excitement over a potential 10th franchise with several logo, name and uniform concepts, the Canadian Football League issued a statement on Monday.

The account, CFLinHalifax, had fans dreaming of the possibilities — however, the league has clarified that it has no affiliation with the account:

“We want to make it clear that the Canadian Football League has no affiliation with the social media accounts identifying themselves as CFLinHalifax. While we appreciate the excitement and enthusiasm of the fans behind these accounts, even if some of their suggestions are far more appropriate than others, it is premature to discuss a name for a franchise that has not been awarded. We have been advised by the potential ownership group for Halifax that it also has no affiliation with these fan accounts.”

The CFL confirmed back in November that discussions have taken place with an ownership group that is interested in bringing an expansion team to the city of Halifax. However, the league has maintained that a very thorough process of due diligence will be required.

On Monday, Anthony LeBlanc, Partner, Maritime Football Limited, echoed the CFL’s statement:

“While we love the enthusiasm and some of the creativity being shown by the CFLinHalifax series of social media sites, it is not one that is managed by the potential ownership group. As we have mentioned before, we do like and are considering a name the team contest, however we are not ready to start that process as of yet. We continue to work diligently and expeditiously with the league, various levels of government and local stakeholders, and expect an update to be delivered in the not too distant future.”

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 12:01 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ They'd be crazy not to brand themselves as the maritime regional team. Why wouldn't they? It's not like anyone else can really challenge them for that title.
Indeed. They have free reign over the entire region. I don't understand why they would want to potentially cut themselves off from the ~1.5M other residents in the Maritimes from branding and marketing. The reason why East Coast Lifestyle took off is because everyone in the region could get behind it.

If it isn't Schooners this whole thing is a farce, anyway

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 12:17 AM

Proposed 'Explosions' name for CFL team touches off fiery debate online
On Twitter, CFL in Halifax pitched the idea of calling the football team the Halifax Explosions
Canadian Press January 29/2018

HALIFAX — A group supporting a proposed CFL team in Halifax touched off a fiery debate online when it proposed naming the team after one of the country's greatest Maritime disasters.

On Twitter, CFL in Halifax pitched the idea of calling the football team the Halifax Explosions — a reference to the devastating explosion in the Halifax harbour in 1917 that killed about 2,000 people.

A similar name, the Halifax Xplosion, is used by the city's team in the Maritime Women's Football League.

CFL in Halifax is a creative group that makes fan art to generate discussion, and clarified Monday afternoon that "We are NOT the same people who are bidding for an official Halifax CFL team. That is a different group of business people."

CFL in Halifax enthusiastically promoted the Explosion moniker, saying that 100 years ago "a force was unleashed that made this city stronger, bigger, and more united than ever before. Now we channel that force onto the football field as we flatten all that stands in our way."

It didn't take long for people to register their rebukes.

"You want to profit off the deaths of 2,000 people? It's in really poor taste," said one person, while another tweeted, "I grew up in Dartmouth and this is an absolutely asinine idea."

Others were more creative with their disapproval.

"The Hiroshima Atoms, the Nagasaki Fallout, The California Embers, the Port-au-Prince Quakes," wrote thenormalperson. "I hear the CFL is expanding to the U.S. with the New York 9-11s."

For its part, CFL in Halifax — which is also unaffiliated with the league itself — said it was merely trying to promote a forceful name. It included pictures of a helmet with orange and yellow flames and a logo that looked like an explosive cloud with a skull in the centre.

"The Halifax Explosions team concept is the manifestation of our history and our powerful culture," it tweeted. "A sign to ur opponents that danger is on its way. And history will be made."

Halifax was devastated on Dec. 6, 1917, when two ships collided in the city's harbour and set off an explosion that levelled the city's north end. It's estimated that 2,000 people were killed, while another 9,000 were maimed or blinded.

The group has suggested several other names for the proposed team, including the Atlantic Fog, East Coast Kraken, the Halifax Privateers, and the Atlantic Schooners.

The league confirmed in November it has been in talks with a "professional, enthusiastic and impressive" group of prospective owners rallying for a Halifax franchise.

There are still questions over whether the East Coast has the fan base to support a Canadian Football League franchise, if the business community would be interested in sponsoring a team and who would foot the bill for a new Halifax stadium.

Halifax Mayor Mike Savage has said a potential CFL team would be "an exciting opportunity," but that the municipality would not lead the charge, so as to not put taxpayers at risk over the cost of building a stadium.

The league has said there have been discussions with a group interested in securing a franchise for Halifax, but the talks are preliminary.

The CFL awarded a conditional franchise to Halifax in 1982 — it was named the Atlantic Schooners — but financing for a stadium never came about. The league played regular-season games in Moncton, N.B., in 2010, 2011 and '13.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 12:20 AM
Starring as himself

All they have to do is to outdo "Redblacks" (sorry, "REDBLACKS") so they can't really lose.

The explosion over "Halifax Explosion" has been really weird. No one would have thought of an argument like that when the Atlanta Flames were named after the burning of Atlanta. Or for that matter the MLS Chicago Fire.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
All they have to do is to outdo "Redblacks" (sorry, "REDBLACKS") so they can't really lose.

The explosion over "Halifax Explosion" has been really weird. No one would have thought of an argument like that when the Atlanta Flames were named after the burning of Atlanta. Or for that matter the MLS Chicago Fire.
Except the REDBLACKS are successful and the explosion was a deeply felt tragedy and is still seen that way. Don't know why people can't understand this, as someone said even 100 years later I can't see a New York team being the 9-11s.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 2:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Except the REDBLACKS are successful and the explosion was a deeply felt tragedy and is still seen that way. Don't know why people can't understand this, as someone said even 100 years later I can't see a New York team being the 9-11s.
Being successful doesn't make REDBLACKS any better of a name.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 3:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
Being successful doesn't make REDBLACKS any better of a name.
I thought people had stopped whining about it and got on with it.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 3:39 AM

Yeah, a real happy story and good name for a football team

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 4:10 AM
Ham-burgher

BLACKREDS.

Or just to heighten the difference, use all lower case letters.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 4:55 PM

I didn't like the REDBLACKS name when it was first presented. Took me a while, but it has grown on me.

Still a little strange that they didn't go with a name that din't need translation. My vote was for the Ottawa RAFTSMEN (yes, it's English, but the word is used by both the French in English of the Ottawa area. It's a name with close ties to our lumbering past.)

The Halifax Explosion... Not such a good idea. They should go with a name that calls out to all people of the Maritimes. I would go for the Atlantic Schooners.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 5:12 PM

^ People are used to the Atlantic Schooners name... it's been around for over 30 years. Practically a no-brainer assuming that it's still available.

On another note, whatever happened to Johnny Football? Is he setting his sights on the XFL now?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2018, 5:21 PM

Given the league won't operate until 2020 and in their press conference last week they said they wouldn't sign anyone with a criminal record - he may be out of luck there

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada