HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 5:17 PM
still here

It's in the Bison Block on 12th Avenue North Just across from the theatre and the library.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 10:06 PM

I believe Jitters is in the same building as the new Jimmy Johns & rumored Moe's. You can miss it easily...it's dark right there or something.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 3:39 PM
still here

Parking issues ramp up
Helmut Schmidt, The Forum
Published Monday, August 25, 2008

Building more parking ramp space in downtown Fargo is an idea that has stalled – for now.

The latest plan to add parking in the central and northern parts of downtown would add a deck to the Radisson Hotel ramp.

Senior Planner Bob Stein said the $3 million project would create 120 spaces. But that price tag recently gained little traction with the city’s Finance Committee, he said.

Stein is now studying ramp costs in the region and has been asked to seek estimates to determine if the $25,000 per stall cost is accurate. The typical national cost per parking ramp stall is $15,000 to $20,000, city officials said.

Another option considered over the years is to replace the US Bank parking ramp.

The central traffic helix in the 1960s vintage ramp is not used because of safety concerns, Stein said. Demolition and rebuilding could cost $6.2 million, officials have said.

Officials want a development plan that would encompass the old ramp and the surface parking to the west that abuts Broadway and the U.S. Bank plaza.

“That came first and we have to see how that plays out,” City Administrator Pat Zavoral said.

Ramps usually need public financing, tax assessments or public-private partnerships to be built, Zavoral said. The city can’t afford to build one on its own.

“The city’s general fund doesn’t have the money to put to that,” Zavoral said.

City Commissioner Mike Williams wants to see updated estimates on the Radisson ramp expansion before that idea is abandoned.

“That would be a benefit no matter what comes forward,” Williams said.

Other questions factor into the downtown parking debate.

- Does the city have enough parking downtown in the public and private lots?

- Is the parking in the right spot?

- Is the parking “problem” really a perception brought on by an unwillingness to walk?

In 2003, downtown Fargo had 6,619 public and private parking spots, Stein said. Of those, 1,329 were on-street parking and 5,290 were off-street.

Those numbers have fluctuated, but recent projects have included underground or surface parking in their designs, Stein said. Switching to diagonal parking also added 132 spots, he said.

Location, location

Parking Commission figures show several city parking areas are underused, while others are jammed.

For example, the GTC Garage, with its 200 spots, saw just 39 percent usage in July. The Civic Center lot had 33 percent usage, while the Island Park ramp had 49 percent usage.

Meanwhile, the Radisson ramp had 88 percent usage and the U.S. Bank ramp had 100 percent usage.

Cost made a difference. The Second Avenue North lot with parking for $47 a month had 127 percent usage. Just across the street, the Second Avenue South lot with a $62 a month charge had 5 percent usage.

Overall, the 11 city-owned parking facilities had 67 percent usage in July.

“Parking in downtown is generally pretty plentiful, if everyone doesn’t expect to have a parking space on every block,” said Dave Anderson, president of the Downtown Community Partnership.

A city graphic shows a five-minute walking radius for the downtown area and for the West Acres shopping mall.

The downtown walking radius encompasses all of the city’s main public parking facilities. The West Acres radius would take a shopper to the Herberger’s store on the west end of the mall. But it doesn’t extend to the theater complex to the south.

“If you can see it in the West Acres parking lot, you’ll walk a half a mile,” Zavoral said. “It’s location, location, location. The convenience factor.”

Squeeze up north

Greg Danz, owner of Zandbroz Variety on Broadway, said the northern part of downtown is now seeing a parking squeeze.

He’d put ramps behind Old Broadway, and farther north behind Boerth’s Gallery and Dempsey’s Irish Pub.

“To me, those are the natural spots,” Danz said.

Anderson said retail and residential pressures will create the need for 500 to 600 more parking spots downtown in two to five years.

The expanding North Dakota State University downtown presence – next fall the School of Business will open – will also exacerbate parking problems, Anderson and Danz say.

“Time is getting shorter for us,” Anderson said, noting that it takes about 18 months to build a ramp.

“The north end of downtown is becoming pretty tight given the construction of the Kilbourne Group (300 Broadway complex)” in the former Fargo Theatre lot.

Williams said one solution is to pump up public transit. He said NDSU students have shown they’re willing to take the bus.

“One bus full of people is four blocks of cars,” Williams said.

Adding four bus lines costs $500,000 a year, but it also avoids high construction costs, he said.

Offering shuttle buses and shifting price structures could also help maximize ramp use, Zavoral and Williams say.

Williams said there are parking lots to the north of the interim downtown library on Roberts Street that could be a potential ramp site.

Zavoral said a ramp in the City Hall lot could be possible, if it were built as part of a floodwall.

Everyone agreed the issue will eventually have to be addressed.

“How we deal with that is going to be very important to how future growth continues,” Stein said. “We don’t want to lose momentum due to inadequate parking.”

Readers can reach Forum reporter Helmut Schmidt at (701) 241-5583

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 3:42 PM
still here

Also, the Royal Fork is closing. I actually never went there so I have no opinion on it.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 6:44 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Misthebest View Post
Also, the Royal Fork is closing. I actually never went there so I have no opinion on it.
The Royal Fork was very bad -- good riddance. I'm amazed there were enough bland-palated patrons to keep it afloat for so long. Cross your fingers for a much better replacement.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 9:17 PM

heard of the Royal Fork and i have never eaten there either

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 7:01 PM

Parking

I have to say that I'm disappointed that the F-M Metro governments don't have a more coordinated plan for parking and zoning. The parking ramp seems like a PERFECT time to build something like this (a combination retail/housing project connected to a garage):

http://inlinethumb52.webshots.com/33...500x500Q85.jpg

At the very least, I would like to see the cities discuss connecting projects like garages with housing, an arts center, river recreation facilities, etc. It's in the downtown plan, but nobody seems to be discussing these projects like they are connected.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 11:49 PM
Closed account

Dream Downtown

This is an excerpt from a post I read on a In-forum.com message board. This is someone's idea of what a downtown should be.

The Downtown is SUPPOSED to be different than anyplace else. Its SUPPOSED to have plazas that have community concerts from a variety of bands. Its SUPPOSED to have museums and libraries. Its SUPPOSED to have street fairs and barkers selling things from corners. Its SUPPOSED to have street performers and artists. Its SUPPOSED to have novelty stores selling kites, kitsch, and krap. Its SUPPOSED to be a place where everytime you go there, you will encounter a different experience.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 2:56 AM
still here

F-M area walkways receive B-
Benny Polacca, The Forum
Published Thursday, August 28, 2008

A national racewalker will recommend that metro-area city officials work with planners and health task forces to create a more pedestrian-friendly environment.

Mark Fenton, who evaluated the area’s walkways this week, will make the recommendation today when he speaks to city officials about his three-day assessment.

On Wednesday, Fenton – host of the PBS series “America’s Walking” and a pedestrian advocate – led a community walk in Moorhead to meet the public. He encouraged residents to bring pedestrian concerns to elected officials.

Fenton is giving the metro area an overall grade of “B-,” saying Wednesday that he likes the atmosphere of downtown Fargo and Moorhead.

Fenton is concerned the newer developments in the metro area may not accommodate all pedestrians and bicyclists, which could encourage people to travel by automobile instead.

He said cul-de-sacs, for example, may be a nuisance to pedestrians who may not need to walk far. “I could be half a mile from school, but could end up taking a car” because the cul-de-sacs block the route to school, he said.

Fenton said Fargo’s 13th Avenue South retail corridor is not pedestrian-friendly because the sidewalks are too far from businesses and the parking lots do not have designated walking paths to the businesses. “If I needed to get to a strip mall, I gotta risk my life,” he said of walking through a parking lot.

Fenton praised Fargo and Moorhead’s older neighborhoods because of their alleyways, sidewalks set back from the roads and closer accessibility to schools.

Jefferson and Washington elementary schools in Fargo earned “neighborhood school” titles from Fenton because streets and sidewalks near the schools are ideal for children to walk or ride bike to school, he said.

Fenton praised Fargo’s Broadway for its pedestrian-friendly atmosphere because of its sidewalks, business awnings and close accessibility to businesses, but noted he did not see designated bike lanes for bicyclists on the roads.

In his recommendations, Fenton encourages city planners to meet with organizations such as the YMCA of Cass and Clay Counties’ Pioneering Healthy Communities task force, the Dakota Medical Foundation and the Fargo-Moorhead Metropolitan Council of Governments to address pedestrian concerns.

Jim Gemar of Moorhead, who was on Wednesday’s community walk, said “it’s exciting” to have Fenton recommend improvements for city streets and sidewalks. Gemar said he has no immediate concerns with the city walkways, but believes walkways along the Red River should be expanded.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Benny Polacca at (701) 241-5504

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 5:32 PM
Closed account

“If I needed to get to a strip mall, I gotta risk my life,” he said of walking through a parking lot.

I was taking this guy seriously until I read the "risk my life" nonsense about walking across a parking lot. I've lived in places where there are very few sidewalks. There are cities that may have better strip mall access but you may get mugged in the parking lot. I was just reading about a Walmart in Florida where a gang of young women were robbing old ladies in the parking lot as they walked to their cars. Pedestrian safety is more than just sidewalks. I'll take my chances in Fargo. This is by far the safest town I've ever lived in.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 7:11 PM

Disagree

Nearly got hit three times this week walking across parking lots. Walkable cities are usually safer (and WalMart is not "walkable") because more eyes on the sidewalks makes them safer. Crime happens in suburban areas as much as in urban areas. Still, this was about getting hit by cars, and not a statement on crime.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 8:16 PM
Closed account

Fargo does not have a problem with walkers getting hit in parking lots. Walmart is "walkable" by thousands of people daily. It's simply a matter of common courtesy between walkers and cars and it works well -- government intervention not required.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 9:41 PM
FargoMoorhead comin at ya

If the guy was having "issues" with regarding "risking his life" to get across a parking lot, that's not the city's fault, that's the owner of the parking lot. Walmart for example doesn't care about aesthetics or general safety of the lot. It's all about how many cars can they pack in there. It's just another reason I don't shop at Walmart, anytime I went there, I almost either got hit or ran over by the idiots that come into town on Saturdays... you know, the ones who don't quite understanding double turn lanes or 6 lane roads..... *sigh*

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 7:27 AM
FargoMoorhead comin at ya

I just saw in the Forum, they announced they are FINALLY tearing down the old Cinema Grill building to build a 4 story structure with retail on the first floor and student apartments on the top three. While it's not the greatest outcome for that space (if you all recall, there was the Cityscapes Plaza 11 storey proposal which was turned down by voters), I'm happy with the current outcome, as it will get more people downtown and also kick off more development.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 7:31 PM

Couldn't disagree more

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoBison View Post
If the guy was having "issues" with regarding "risking his life" to get across a parking lot, that's not the city's fault, that's the owner of the parking lot. Walmart for example doesn't care about aesthetics or general safety of the lot. It's all about how many cars can they pack in there. It's just another reason I don't shop at Walmart, anytime I went there, I almost either got hit or ran over by the idiots that come into town on Saturdays... you know, the ones who don't quite understanding double turn lanes or 6 lane roads..... *sigh*
Government is already involved. Zoning determines all of that. WalMart has to follow code or they can't push their Chinese crap in our town. Every city makes these choices through government. People who just let WalMart write their zoning get the Darwinian government they deserve. There are lots of cities that don't let WalMart build crappy unwalkable parking lots. We should just sack up and do the same. We've got nothing to lose but lead painted toys and cheap garbage.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 7:33 PM

This is part of what Chapman was talking about

Bison, Fargo seeing green in Cityscapes
John Lamb, The Forum
Published Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Bison will be getting a little more room to roam in downtown Fargo: a couple hundred more rooms, or rather, apartments.

Michael Harwood, North Dakota State University’s director of residence life, confirmed Friday that the school is working with developer Mike Bullinger on his plan to build housing units above street-level office space on the southeast section of First Avenue North and Roberts Street.

Bullinger’s commercial real estate firm, Cityscapes Development LLC, owns the property, currently home to the Springs of Living Water church and previously the Lark and Cinema Grill movie theaters at 630 First Ave. N. Cityscapes also owns the adjoining parking lots along First Avenue.

Harwood said Cityscapes was still working on renderings but understood the proposed four-floor building would take up most of the property. The structure would house more than 200 students.

He said the two parties were negotiating an agreement over finances and who students would rent from.

He directed specific questions about the building to Paul Johnson of Cityscapes. A message left on Johnson’s phone Friday afternoon was not returned. Likewise, messages left for Bullinger at his Western Products office Thursday and Friday were not returned.

“Mr. Bullinger has been great,” said the Rev. Jim Samuelson, whose Springs of Living Water church has been renting the 9,900-square-foot building month-to-month since 2001. Samuelson said he got word at the end of July that he had to be out by Sept. 1. He said Industrial Builders would tear down the building this fall.

A crew from Northern Technologies Inc. was boring earth samples in the lot Thursday and Friday. A worker there said a building would go up on the site.

NDSU already needs housing. Despite opening the 166-bed Living Learning Center West this week, more than 300 students are still housed in hotels.

With Klai Hall, for architecture and landscape architecture, and Richard H. Barry Hall, for the College of Business, opening in a year, the school wants to find downtown dwellings for the nearly 4,000 students expected to study there.

Harwood said NDSU was approached by Bullinger in the late spring with the proposal. While Harwood didn’t know when ground would break, he hoped apartments would be ready by this time next year.

“We both have an understanding that it would be hard not to go through with this project,” he said.

Harwood said it was a

“win-win” proposal with NDSU getting housing

without construction hassles and Cityscapes developing its property that some feel is crucial for downtown.

Also winning would be downtown businesses that want to see the neighborhood continue to develop.

“It should’ve been built a long time ago,” said Nachhattar Gill at a table in his restaurant, Broadway Classic Subs.

In May 2005, Bullinger’s plan to build on the site by extending the Fargodome’s half-cent sales tax was overwhelmingly voted down in a special election. The proposed development would’ve included a hockey arena as well as retail, office and condominium space.

It was opposed by Gill because it would’ve forced out most of the properties on the block, including his, on the northeast corner of Broadway and First Avenue North.

Gill may have been seeing red then, but you have to believe he and other downtown business people are looking forward to a Bison stampede and the trail of green it will leave behind.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 7:37 PM

Btw

I believe this is the model for what is happening downtown with NDSU.

http://www.dinkytownminneapolis.com/

Old Posted Aug 30, 2008, 7:37 PM
Closed account

So I guess Target, Best Buy, Home Depot, etc. have better parking lots than Walmart and don't sell anything from China.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2008, 1:41 AM
Fargoan From 1999-2008

ww6789 - I think you are missing the point that overall Fargo, and other North Dakota cities, are not the most walkable in certain areas. Walkability does not equal safety from crime, that is a separate issue and a separate expert. Fargo can be seen as not very walkable and very safe - and if those two balance out for you then great. However I would love to see Fargo be very walkable and very safe.

Oh, and lets tone down the whole "Wal-Mart is evil" thing - whether you agree/disagree its not relevant right now to developments in Fargo-Moorhead (that was last year, remember ).

Old Posted Aug 31, 2008, 3:38 AM
Closed account

Walkability

I'm missing where Fargo is not walkable. There are sidewalks everywhere. Yes, you still have to be aware of traffic and look before you cross the street. I've lived in cities that have very few sidewalks and no sidewalks in neighborhoods. Please point out where Fargo is not walkable.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest