HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 9:17 PM

Burnside Developments & Discussion Thread

Map of the Burnside District from My Developments Map:

Neighourhoods Included In District:
  • Bedford Institute Of Oceanography (BIO)
    Burnside Industrial Park
    City Of Lakes Business Park
    Dartmouth Crossing
    Wright's Cove

Related Threads:

RCMP HQ - Burnside
Harbour Isle | 17-9-9-9 floors | ? m | Approved
Dartmouth Crossing - Ongoing Additions
[DARTMOUTH] Wright's Cove | ?m | 6fl | Proposed
Coast Guard Headquarters | ? m | 5 fl | Tender
Park Place V | ~20M | 5 Fl | Completed

Series Information:

The "districts" and "areas" series is based upon my Developments Map (see above for link). It is designed to allow discussion on the district in general and provide a place for smaller developments in the area to have a place to be discussed. Larger projects will have a seperate thread that will be linked to this post in the space above.

This thread is the first of the series and will focus on the district commonly referred to as Burnside (Dartmouth - Burnside). This area consists of Dartmouth west of Highway 118 and north of Highway 111.

To kick off this thread here are some photos I took in Burnside Park around the newer section of Wright Avenue;

And a new street going up off of Wilkinson Avenue;

Last edited by Dmajackson; Aug 7, 2010 at 9:47 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 9:23 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post

I had never seen a road sign mounted over a sidewalk before until now. It is an interesting concept.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 9:38 PM

It may have been mentioned before... But does anyone know what that new campus is all about on the corner of Wright, and Burnside Drive?

They have a small paved road that goes up the little hill, and there was all kinds of work going on there... But now that the road is in, nothing is going on it seems. I think it said something like Burnside Campus or something.

Anyone know what I'm talking about, or what it is? Is it a college or something going in there.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Bacon View Post
It may have been mentioned before... But does anyone know what that new campus is all about on the corner of Wright, and Burnside Drive?

They have a small paved road that goes up the little hill, and there was all kinds of work going on there... But now that the road is in, nothing is going on it seems. I think it said something like Burnside Campus or something.

Anyone know what I'm talking about, or what it is? Is it a college or something going in there.
It's the Burnside and Wright Campus. There's information on it somewheres in the Suburban Developments Thread.

From what I recall is going to be large office building campus in the 3-5 storey range.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 10:24 PM

^ Sounds like a pretty cool development. Thanks for the response. I'll take a look through the suburban section for it.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I had never seen a road sign mounted over a sidewalk before until now. It is an interesting concept.
I found it weird when they first started installing them but they have grown on me. They're mostly on the main drags and the newer sections of the park and have a 7-8 foot clearance so as long as you don't wear one of those large inflatable hats you wo'nt even notice them while walking.

This was in Metro News. There's no mention of height or exact address but I'll keep my eyes open on Wal-Mart runs;

Quote:
Work to start on blood service centre
Cost to build centre not finalized Current location an empty lot
Philip Croucher/Metro Halifax
METRO HALIFAX

Work is scheduled to begin this fall on the Canadian Blood Services’ new production centre for all blood and blood products in the Maritimes.

The centre, to be located on John Savage Drive in Dartmouth’s City of the Lakes Industrial Park, will see blood collected at clinics across the Maritimes, shipped to the new facility for processing and distribution.

“This will be a state-of-the-art manufacturing and distribution centre,” said CBS’s chief operating officer Ian Mumford, prior to yesterday’s official groundbreaking event.

A construction tender for the 65,000-square-foot centre closes today with the facility expected to be up-and-running by early 2012.

Investment
In March of 2009, Canadian Blood Services announced a $38-million investment towards re-development plans for Atlantic Canada.

• Inclusion Investment includes the new production facility in Dartmouth and a new permanent blood donor clinic at the Village of Bayers Road in Halifax.

• Open The blood donor clinic is scheduled to open in early 2011.

• Ship The current Halifax-based production facility for CBS sees blood shipped from Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, but not New Brunswick.

• An estimated 86K of blood donations to be processed out of the centre each year.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 11:17 PM
we built this city

Quote:
I found it weird when they first started installing them but they have grown on me. They're mostly on the main drags and the newer sections of the park and have a 7-8 foot clearance so as long as you don't wear one of those large inflatable hats you wo'nt even notice them while walking.

This was in Metro News. There's no mention of height or exact address but I'll keep my eyes open on Wal-Mart runs;
Sounds like it will create jobs for both the construction in the short term and blood services roles in the long term.

Is there some group in Halifax who is going to oppose this for some rediculous reason?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 3:09 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
The sidewalks in Burnside are mostly for decoration.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 3:18 AM

Quote:
I wonder if this replaces their building on Gottingen. It's a site with a lot of redevelopment potential even though I am a bit fond of the existing building for some reason.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2010, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
I wonder if this replaces their building on Gottingen. It's a site with a lot of redevelopment potential even though I am a bit fond of the existing building for some reason.
I don't know if they would close that office; mainly because of the fact that it's a central location in downtown to have people donate blood. Of course being an openly gay man, I can't donate blood - but that's another story. Sorry I'm cranky tonight!

The location from a development perspective; would be great because it's not in a viewplane (the police station is). Unfortunately; HbD limits the height to 23m (pre and post bonus height). But still; could get a nice building there.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 12:00 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
It's the Burnside and Wright Campus. There's information on it somewheres in the Suburban Developments Thread.

From what I recall is going to be large office building campus in the 3-5 storey range.
Still no recent information on the website www.wrightandburnside.com but a good overview of the plans. Looks like they plan on it taking 5-7 years to be complete. As of today the site looks the same as it did 6 months ago.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I don't know if they would close that office; mainly because of the fact that it's a central location in downtown to have people donate blood. Of course being an openly gay man, I can't donate blood - but that's another story. Sorry I'm cranky tonight!

The location from a development perspective; would be great because it's not in a viewplane (the police station is). Unfortunately; HbD limits the height to 23m (pre and post bonus height). But still; could get a nice building there.
I think the lease on that building is almost up. I forget how it works, I know they rent it from the Red Cross and the Canada Blood Services lease is for sure up next year, but I think the Red Cross's might be too. I read an article a week or so ago that made it sound like that site was up for re-development either way.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2010, 4:43 PM

New fall setting for school board
Employees to move into Burnside offices in October
By JENNIFER CHARLEBOIS
Mon, Aug 30 - 4:53 AM

The Halifax regional school board will move into refurbished space and a new addition at 33 Spectacle Lake Dr. in Burnside in October. The move will consolidate board offices now in two locations and will include meeting space for staff development, which will save the board rental fees. (Staff)

This fall, the Halifax regional school board will be trading its familiar Dartmouth waterfront view for a lakeside view in Burnside.

Charles Clattenburg, director of operations services, confirmed last week that the renovated and revamped offices at Park Place Lakeside are nearly completed.

"They are now just putting the (finishing touches) inside the building to prepare for us," he said in an interview.

The lease will consolidate board administrative staff from Dartmouth and Cole Harbour in the new location at 33 Spectacle Lake Dr.

This will allow for better communication, as well as savings in operational and technical costs, said Clattenburg. In addition, building-to-building travel costs for staff on an ongoing basis will be eliminated.

The three-storey office complex will house approximately 240 staff. The new building will also serve as a professional development centre, and plans call for a number of training rooms and lecture areas. This will save the board from renting spaces for development functions, he said.

In addition to 30,000 square feet of existing building, renovation plans call for a 30,000-square-foot addition that will include both above- and below-ground parking.

The board has a 15-year lease with Armour Group for the facilities and will pay $1.4 million annually.

Clattenburg said the board has been "working with staff, trying to show them what the offices are going to be looking like and that sort of thing."

The layout in the new building will be an open concept. "We’re having the work stations at a fairly low level so exterior light can penetrate into the building so staff can enjoy the daylight," he said.

The new location has been registered for the Canada Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certification.

"They (the Armour Group) have changed the building from electric heat to gas heat," he said, nothing that the building will follow strict guidelines in terms of controlling recycling and recovering heat, among other environmental considerations.

Moving day is tentatively set for the end of October. Until then, the majority of school board employees will remain at the old Dartmouth city hall location on a month-to-month lease extension.

( jcharlebois@herald.ca)

Old Posted Aug 31, 2010, 4:28 AM

In regards to the map - I'd create policy to encourage the existing apartment stock in and around the Highfield Park terminal to redevelop into much larger footprints (I guess you could call it TOD).

I'd say in the 10 to 15 storey range with combination of at grade and underground parking.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 7:46 PM

A "skyline" photo of the district taken from about where Bayview Condos will be (photo by me);

Old Posted Nov 30, 2010, 1:09 PM

The business campus at Wright and Burnside Dr. is starting up again, the site prep was completed a year or so ago and the general contractor is gearing up for building construction.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 12:04 AM

^Good to hear. That lot is one of the last remaining holes in the older section of Burnside so getting a nice business campus will help the area quite a bit. Now that the park is extending into no-man's-land I think its about time for the older section of Wright Avenue to get revamped and look like a proper main road. I'd say three lanes minimum (reversing could work), improved rail crossings, sidewalks, proper bus stops, and better retail form at the two terminii (Windmill and Burnside).

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
The business campus at Wright and Burnside Dr. is starting up again, the site prep was completed a year or so ago and the general contractor is gearing up for building construction.
Construction of a office building is underway for the site.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
Construction of a office building is underway for the site.
Already? I was jsut there over the weekend and there was no sign of construction beginning ...

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 2:29 PM

Just a quick note Garland Avenue (RCMP project road) has now been extended up to John Savage Avenue. There is already one large construction project underway on the new street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs