HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 9:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
there's no doubt that piece of property could be better utilized with maximum allowed density, instead of a 1 story mcdonalds with a drive-thru. i was never trying to give praise to that particular mcdonalds, i was only responding to the notion that it was the most offensive mcdonalds in the city from an urban design standpoint, a notion with which i wholeheartedly disagree because the Rn'R mcdonalds wins that award by a country mile.
+1 on R&R... Hayward, really?! Chicago & State is a waste of that land, for sure... but it is in NO way as bad as R&R... which not only wastes an entire block of the central core, but is also one of the most ostentatious and atrocious pieces of shit in the entire McDs arsenal of shit buildings. It's 'WOW' bad. No joke... when I was in town for Halloween with my buddy, we drove past it (he has little to no interest in Architecture or urban development), and he very boldly said: WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?! That basically sums up one's reaction to the R&R: WTF.

Also, Wrigley and N. Clark are worse also, IMO.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 11:25 PM
TL;DR

So the Lincoln Park Hospital redevelopment just lost their lease with Fresh Market. The grocer apparently was unwilling to accept the loading dock and delivery-hour restrictions that the community demanded.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2011, 11:26 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Actually there's ONE suburban style McDonald's I can recall in Manhattan (where all the tall buildings are), and that one is on the west side (Hudson Yards), and it's going to be gone once all the west side developments begin. Same should happen in Chicago, but I doubt it'll happen to the Rock and Roll McD's becuase that brings in alot of money.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 3:23 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
So the Lincoln Park Hospital redevelopment just lost their lease with Fresh Market. The grocer apparently was unwilling to accept the loading dock and delivery-hour restrictions that the community demanded.

^ The more important thing is they got the zoning approved. So they can still operate that building as a commercial space. It doesn't have to be a grocery store

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 12:23 PM

McDonald's

I've always thought the McDonald's at Dearborn & Randolph was handled appropriately.

http://g.co/maps/73ap9

No obnoxious red awnings and the signs are contextual to the Theater District.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markh9 View Post
I've always thought the McDonald's at Dearborn & Randolph was handled appropriately.

Yes - and it was a great place to take the kids and watch as block37 was under construction.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 12:38 PM

Some updates from the south side...apologies if any of this has already been covered but it's been a while since I had the time to log on here.

Bronzeville

The buildings on the NE Corner of 35th & Michigan were torn down. This has been an abandoned strip of buildings for as long as I've been in the area (starting with my freshman year at IIT in 1999). DuSable finally finagled a structural condemnation out of the City and had it torn down. Right now it's some surface parking and lawn area with a decent wrought iron-type fence around it. DuSable has a PD on the books with the City for the property to expand the school at this spot.

Across the street to the south, the Church's Chicken at 35th & Michigan is finally no more. Urban Partnership Bank has a new branch location just finishing up. It's a hideously awful use of a corner lot with a tiny building sitting in the middle of a parking lot, but it's a hell of a lot better building and use than was the Church's. And at least now there will be landscaping.

Payless Shoes along the 35th St. corridor is also closing down. No idea if anything is going in in it's place, but here's hoping the monstrosity of a building just comes down for something else.

Pilgrim Baptist Church is beginning its reconstruction efforts. I am currently bidding on the first phase, which will put in superstructure steel, restore the masonry, put a roof on, add faux windows/doors to finish the enclosure, put in decorative uplighting to showcase the building, and an exhaust system to keep moisture out of the interior as much as possible. It's a first step to help get the donation money flowing for the rest of it, basically.

Further South

Related Midwest is redeveloping Parkway Gardens at 63rd-66th & King Drive to the tune of $40 million. Masonry restoration, mechanical/electrical/plumbing work, and interior renovations are well underway. We have the site work contract. Tree Removal and Pruning is complete and Storm Sewer upgrades began this week. Aside from storm water detention going in through the winter months, the site work will mostly take place after it warms up a bit more in the spring. A major undertaking both for Related, renovating the buildings, and us on the site, as the buildings remain 95% occupied during the renovations.

The Ray & Joan Kroc Corps Community Center is at about 75-80% and is on pace for a late spring finish.

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 2:29 PM
dream fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by markh9 View Post

Completely agree.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 3:41 PM

Avondale negihborhood

Belmont and Rockwell - anyone know the story behind this ?

Nov 19

Nov 19

And N on the river ...

Nov 19

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 3:50 PM

I think I saw an article a couple months ago talking about taking over the one on Belmont
EDIT: http://chicago.curbed.com/archives/2...ck-to-life.php

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aic4ever View Post
The buildings on the NE Corner of 35th & Michigan were torn down. This has been an abandoned strip of buildings for as long as I've been in the area (starting with my freshman year at IIT in 1999). DuSable finally finagled a structural condemnation out of the City and had it torn down. Right now it's some surface parking and lawn area with a decent wrought iron-type fence around it. DuSable has a PD on the books with the City for the property to expand the school at this spot.
De La Salle, not DuSable.

That building was once the Pickford Theatre. The original plan was to incorporate it as part of the new school development. The concern was the building's bowstring truss roof. Those are prone to collapse during a fire, as was the case at another building on the south side last year that led to the death of two firefighters.

The plans to build a new school on that site are on hold pending availability of funds.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Some updates from the south side...apologies if any of this has already been covered but it's been a while since I had the time to log on here.

Bronzeville

Across the street to the south, the Church's Chicken at 35th & Michigan is finally no more. Urban Partnership Bank has a new branch location just finishing up. It's a hideously awful use of a corner lot with a tiny building sitting in the middle of a parking lot, but it's a hell of a lot better building and use than was the Church's. And at least now there will be landscaping.

Payless Shoes along the 35th St. corridor is also closing down. No idea if anything is going in in it's place, but here's hoping the monstrosity of a building just comes down for something else.

Pilgrim Baptist Church is beginning its reconstruction efforts. I am currently bidding on the first phase, which will put in superstructure steel, restore the masonry, put a roof on, add faux windows/doors to finish the enclosure, put in decorative uplighting to showcase the building, and an exhaust system to keep moisture out of the interior as much as possible. It's a first step to help get the donation money flowing for the rest of it, basically.

Further South

Related Midwest is redeveloping Parkway Gardens at 63rd-66th & King Drive to the tune of $40 million. Masonry restoration, mechanical/electrical/plumbing work, and interior renovations are well underway. We have the site work contract. Tree Removal and Pruning is complete and Storm Sewer upgrades began this week. Aside from storm water detention going in through the winter months, the site work will mostly take place after it warms up a bit more in the spring. A major undertaking both for Related, renovating the buildings, and us on the site, as the buildings remain 95% occupied during the renovations.

The Ray & Joan Kroc Corps Community Center is at about 75-80% and is on pace for a late spring finish.
Parkway Gardens needs to go. Lot of problems over there. I was hoping to see a total redevelopment of the site.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 6:37 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
I attended the Children's Memorial Hosp meeting last night. Here's my write-up for Curbed, if anyone wants the details:
Nice recap.

Here's a photo of the model from the presentation:

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 6:45 PM
The City

Quote:

Bronzeville

Further South

^ This whole post is sad.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Parkway Gardens needs to go. Lot of problems over there. I was hoping to see a total redevelopment of the site.
Well it's obviously not going anywhere now.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ This whole post is sad.
Why?

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 6:59 PM

Northwestern Hosp garage - Dec 8

Joining the sides

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Why?
Eh...it kind of just means the neighborhood isn't really going anywhere. Most new stuff is institutional. There's no new commercial development except for the bank. If the land for the school is going PD, doesn't that mean they'll probably add athletic fields and stuff as opposed to an actual school expansion?

BTW, I hope Michigan Boulevard Garden Apartment sees a rehab someday in the future.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Here's a photo of the model from the presentation:
Oh boy, that massing needs a lot of work.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 9:17 PM
TL;DR

aic, what's involved in the site work? You mentioned the utility upgrades. Is Related also re-landscaping the open spaces? It would be nice to get something like they did at the Cabrini Rowhouses. It really changed the feeling of the space, even if the original buildings had pretty awful design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development