HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
LOL, I love it when people reveal that their idea of "fun" and "culture" boils down to getting drunk.
That's pretty much it for most people. I'm guessing most people on this forum are relatively young, too...

The ability to get drunk and act stupid doesn't make you, or any place, unique or cultured.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 7:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrant View Post
I agree, but where is "there"? I don't think there is any end to reforming/changing this city. Once you think we're "there", there will always be someone to replace you that isn't content.
true...but vancouver needs to arrive at a certain level that that is the 'there' in my mind. By certain level, i mean a grown up city, that doesn't see going out for a drink a bad thing, being allowed to have live music without all the mind numbing laws in place at present, amending the bylaws to allow easier set up for indpendant operators, more arts...etc

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 7:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
That's pretty much it for most people. I'm guessing most people on this forum are relatively young, too...

The ability to get drunk and act stupid doesn't make you, or any place, unique or cultured.
true again...comes down to life stages too. Having said that though, there's something to be said for being allowed to go for a drink and watch live music without getting wasted. Vancouver has plenty of options for such, but it tends to be very samey and lacks grown up venues as in other cities.

When people bang on about the city being boring and having no culture, I do tend to wonder what age they are. And it begs the question what is culture? I like the restaurant scene, smaller independant theatre, focus on the outdoors....we have culture, just not much of a thriving night life scene. The reality is, though, outside of your twenties, for the most part, it's not as much of a priority.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 7:48 PM
BANNED

I was out walking around west hastings around Homer the other day and I'd forgotten what a great collection of older buildings there is down there. I also thought it would be a good area to allow some smaller, indepndant bars with live music etc. The area has great street appeal, older charter properties and close to transit etc. Lots of soul. With Cross Town and Gastown nearby

When people visit the city, I doubt many even wander down there and don't even know the gems down there. Could be a truly 'old town' area for the city. Same when you go a block south on Pender.

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&q=w...12,281.17,,0,5

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 7:59 PM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy View Post
true...but vancouver needs to arrive at a certain level that that is the 'there' in my mind. By certain level, i mean a grown up city, that doesn't see going out for a drink a bad thing, being allowed to have live music without all the mind numbing laws in place at present, amending the bylaws to allow easier set up for indpendant operators, more arts...etc
Is there a model city you have in mind? I love the places where you can legally have a drink pretty much anywhere.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 9:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrant View Post
Is there a model city you have in mind? I love the places where you can legally have a drink pretty much anywhere.
every city has its own good and bad points. I love San Fran, London....there's lots in Vancouver, but the layout requires one to know the city, rather than just make ones' way to the centre, which is a failing in my mind.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
LOL, I love it when people reveal that their idea of "fun" and "culture" boils down to getting drunk.

Granville Street was thriving up till the time a "socially aware" council decided to plunk down a trendy pedestrian mall and kill it off. Look at any photos up to the 1950's-60's.http://www.flickr.com/photos/entheos_fog/4073959861/

The changes in Vancouver mirror changes in almost any other Western city. Look up photos of London's docklands area or NY's meatpacking district from the same time periods.
Another factor in killing the streetlife of Granville was the opening of the Pacific Centre Mall. Although not large by mall suburban mall standards, having two blocks comprised of Eatons and indoor shops trumped being outside windows-shopping on Granville during a rainy cold February day.

I thought the rebuilding of Granville into a bus & pedestrian mall in the 70's was the reaction to the opening of the Pacific Centre Mall - the City's attempt to get people out of Pacific Centre & back onto the street to revitalize Granville.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Thanks for the pointless derail.
It's not a pointless derail to point out that someone-in this case you-are talking out their ass.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2010, 6:56 AM

I'm a bit late to this as the thread has taken on a different life, but thanks for posting that vid. I've seen a lot of Fred Herzog's stuff but there were a few in there that were a big surprise, borderline surreal stuff, I loved it

I have a new interest/appreciation for what was Vancouver after seeing that.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 1:05 AM
Reason and Freedom

Here is one of Herzog's photographs from the video, capturing Vancouver in all its 1950s neon splendour:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45379817@N08/5171814815/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos