HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Are there any renderings or description of how high it will be?
I think there were some black and white renderings floating around 3-4 years ago when the current owner bought the site. It may have only been Allnovascotia that had them. I'm sure the building changed, I think it was only 8 floors then. Paul Skerry may have done those.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2017, 9:21 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I think there were some black and white renderings floating around 3-4 years ago when the current owner bought the site. It may have only been Allnovascotia that had them. I'm sure the building changed, I think it was only 8 floors then. Paul Skerry may have done those.
I seem to remember that as well. If you Google the address (3090 Barrington), there is an old thread for it.

Edit: Found the link: https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/sho....php?p=6408709

Last edited by worldlyhaligonian; Feb 10, 2017 at 9:22 PM. Reason: Added URL

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 1:07 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's a nice view of the Dennis Building and the north grounds of Province House. Hopefully we'll hear something soon about redevelopment proposals.

Source

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 5:41 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I'm not sure if this has showed up before, but here's a concept rendering for 383 Herring Cove Road:

http://tealarchitects.com/project/38...ing-cove-road/

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 2:33 AM

Is there any idea what SMU plans to do with the space now that the Canadian Martyrs Church has been knocked down?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Querce View Post
Is there any idea what SMU plans to do with the space now that the Canadian Martyrs Church has been knocked down?
No plans as of yet, currently becoming a parking lot

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...to-be-levelled

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 2:35 AM

I saw a Development Agreement sign posted on the window of Spring Garden Dentistry (SGR/Carlton St) as I was going by on a bus. Anyone know what it's about?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
I saw a Development Agreement sign posted on the window of Spring Garden Dentistry (SGR/Carlton St) as I was going by on a bus. Anyone know what it's about?
This one maybe?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=206804

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser111 View Post
Thanks, hoser. (I mean that in the nicest, most Canadian way.)

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
No plans as of yet, currently becoming a parking lot

http://thechronicleherald.ca/novasco...to-be-levelled
Quote:
“We are pleased to be enhancing Saint Mary’s University’s presence as “the world in one city block,’” said Margaret Murphy, associate vice-president of external affairs at Saint Mary’s, in an email.
The world in one city block! And what is their vision?

Quote:
The school doesn’t have any specific plans for the property yet, Murphy said, but she mentioned the tender includes stipulations “for the grounds to be landscaped and makes provision for additional campus parking.
A parking lot?

Very visionary by SMU. Future world leaders will be parking here, no doubt.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 11:32 AM

AllNS reports that the Ralston Building (next to the Maple) on Hollis has been transferred to Canada Lands. This is the first step in having the property sold at market and eventually redeveloped.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
AllNS reports that the Ralston Building (next to the Maple) on Hollis has been transferred to Canada Lands. This is the first step in having the property sold at market and eventually redeveloped.
It is interesting that the Feds seem to still be spending money on it to remove the failing stone cladding and covering it with awful corrugated metal siding. More fed govt waste I suppose.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It is interesting that the Feds seem to still be spending money on it to remove the failing stone cladding and covering it with awful corrugated metal siding. More fed govt waste I suppose.
I suspect that they are removing the liability that goes along with the loose stone cladding before the sale?

All in all, the Ralston being redeveloped would be a positive, as it has become quite ratty in recent years. Reattaching the stone in a more permanent manner would be nice, but I wouldn't expect a developer or REIT (flipper) to want to spend that kind of money on it. It would probably be whatever the minimum is to get it done, like that cheap-looking grey cladding that has become so popular on new developments recently.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 4:15 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Didn't this building have some heritage designation??? If so, could they tear it down or have to renovate it?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
Didn't this building have some heritage designation??? If so, could they tear it down or have to renovate it?
I don't think a heritage designation has much meaning in Halifax/Nova Scotia, so I think they could do pretty much anything they wanted with it.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 2:52 AM

It is actually a federally registered heritage building.....

http://www.pc.gc.ca/apps/dfhd/page_f...g.aspx?id=8867

Mind you i am guessing that designation can disappear quite quickly if they want it to...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 8:50 AM

A federal heritage building designation requires that the owner consult the FHB review office before demolishing or significantly changing the character of the building. It does not prevent the changes. The designation seems ironic to me since it was granted after significant changes were made to the windows and entrances in the early 90s. I worked in the building in the early 2000s when additional interior changes took years longer than expected. The exterior cladding is in terrible shape: all the original mounting hardware is badly corroded so replacing the stone cladding (which figures in the heritage designation) would be prohibitively expensive. A Public Works official told me six years ago the property was worth more with the building gone than with the building on it.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 5:13 PM
Halifax Promoter!

I wonder what the height allowance is for that site. Is it under any view planes?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
I wonder what the height allowance is for that site. Is it under any view planes?
The south-western quarter of the lot falls on VP6(Georges Island). Currently, the Ralston building ends at the view plane and the awkward parking lot/picnic table area begins.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 7:31 PM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman View Post
It is actually a federally registered heritage building.....

http://www.pc.gc.ca/apps/dfhd/page_f...g.aspx?id=8867

Mind you i am guessing that designation can disappear quite quickly if they want it to...
I believe federal heritage designations disappear when the building ceases to be a federal government asset. It could be a good modernist building - but if i had a choice, the Bank of Canada Building that stood where the maple is now would have been the better choice to keep.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth