HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Oct 30, 2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
As of now, the worst that could happen is that Paulson pulls the deal for the Timbers and we are left with what we currently have...
Actually, that isn't the worst that could happen at all. With Vancouver and Portland going to MLS in 2011, the westernmost teams in the Timbers' league (USL-1) will be Minnesota and Austin. Travel costs are a big deal for minor leagues, so staying in USL might not be financially feasible. On top of that, the league is extremely unstable right now, with eight of the fourteen(?) teams threatening to break away and form their own league.

Basically, to insure that Portland has a pro soccer team after next year, we need this to work out.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 12:31 AM

which will be a damn shame because Portland NEEDS a baseball team. But I feel they also need a major league soccor team as well so we are in a bit of a conundrum eh?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 5:39 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
I have a feeling the Beavers will be sold and relocated...
You are probably right, but I cant figure out why the Paulson doesnt just tell the MLS that he needs time to move a team that is using the stadium and the city doesnt want to rush into anything...thus the Beavers would have to share PGE for a couple years while the right home is found...I doubt it would kill MLS in Portland.

Though I know Paulson has been using the "find a new home for the Beavers or else" as a negotiating move, which has blown up in his face...this region like to work with developers and such, not be told by them what we have to do...if he went about this as being apart of the community and got the region involved with finding a new home for the Beavers at the beginning, he probably wouldnt be in this situation now, but clearly Paulson does not know how to do business in Portland.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxf View Post
My mind keeps going on alternate locations (you may remember the OMSI site idea), but I noticed the other day that the Doubletree motel on Jantzen beach is vacant, and a quick check says that it would be large enough not only for a minor league stadium, but also potentially a MLB sized stadium (for the future). Could be a pretty sweet location right along the Columbia, with a new MAX stop at it's front door, and the center of a redeveloped community at Jantzen Beach...

Quick Site Plan Rendering
I love the idea of a Columbia River stadium, but that site only has space for a hundred or so parking space for cars. And that's with the smaller minor league stadium; expanding it to MLB would not leave any parking. Even a minor league stadium seating 10,000 is going to need several thousand parking spaces within 10 minutes walking distance.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2009, 2:14 PM

Creative minds could come up with something. How about they build a one or two floor parking garage UNDERNEATH the stadium? Build the stands and the field right on top of it. The parking could either be underground and the stadium would be at surface level or the parking at surface level and the stadium would be elevated. Does that sound crazy? After seeing certain projects come to life, I don't think it would be that improbable and would certainly look pretty cool. Then they could get by with only needing enough space for the stadium...

Also, where exactly were you proposing for the Columbia River spot? I think a river location would be essential.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2009, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyAlweg View Post
I love the idea of a Columbia River stadium, but that site only has space for a hundred or so parking space for cars. And that's with the smaller minor league stadium; expanding it to MLB would not leave any parking. Even a minor league stadium seating 10,000 is going to need several thousand parking spaces within 10 minutes walking distance.
Parking could potentially be absorbed by the neighborhood, there are lots of parking lots around the area that I'm sure a few property owners wouldn't mind charging baseball goers for. Eventually, there is likely the possibility of absorbing quite a bit of parking into parking garages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protram
Also, where exactly were you proposing for the Columbia River spot? I think a river location would be essential.
The location is directly west of I-5 (Quick siteplan here)

Old Posted Nov 1, 2009, 7:13 PM
A before E

The issue with using Janzen Beach is the fact that there is only one exit for the island, so basically every game day it would be a nightmare for anyone driving...which I am guessing the light rail stop that would happen there is still a good number of years away.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2009, 9:56 PM

I still think the best option for is somewhere in the core. I'd hate to see Portland's MLB stadium out in a suburb or out of the way from downtown.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 10:59 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux612 View Post
I still think the best option for is somewhere in the core. I'd hate to see Portland's MLB stadium out in a suburb or out of the way from downtown.
PPS site is still and will always be the best site for a MLB stadium.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
PPS site is still and will always be the best site for a MLB stadium.
The 'bring-MLB-to-Portland' group brought in the owner of the Oakland A's this summer and toured (only) this site.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2009, 3:35 PM

I agree, PPS is the best site for the stadium, but it's fairly doubtful that at this point they will actually move the the functions of the building to a new location, and it also seems as though this one has been off the radar, probably for that reason. I guess the the strategey at this point may be just to lose the beavers and baseball in general until we can land a MLB team (5-30 years away), and then hopefully have the financial resources to go after the PPS site. It's a shame though, and I don't even care for baseball.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment