HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 12:42 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Hey guys, I have a great location.

Across from The Oxford Theatre on Quinpool from Oxford as far down as the CIBC and put in a trillium style development, maybe 16 stories.

Those store fronts have always been kind of grimey... the spartan could open up inside the new building and it would look great with a similar retro interior and the original sinage. A new space might also benefit the clay cafe.
I would love to see that whole corridor built up with higher density and at grade retail. It could really be a pretty amazing urban neighbourhood if it is developed more (and correctly).

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 12:55 PM

One thing that I think they should do is maybe think about putting a parking garage or something similar where that Bens "public art wall" is located. Parking around that area is terrible as it is.. with more available parking, you can get the cars off the main street and take away a lot of the hassle. Makes it easier for the buses and frees up two more lanes of traffic to reduce congestion.

Quinpool is a mess and needs to be fixed up.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMacD View Post
One thing that I think they should do is maybe think about putting a parking garage or something similar where that Bens "public art wall" is located. Parking around that area is terrible as it is.. with more available parking, you can get the cars off the main street and take away a lot of the hassle. Makes it easier for the buses and frees up two more lanes of traffic to reduce congestion.

Quinpool is a mess and needs to be fixed up.
There used to be provisions for no parking on Quinpool many years ago - which is why the existing parking situation is the way it is.

Most cities do have an ability to require parking through a common lot - often cash in lieu of parking. Unfortunately if the calculation isn't updated regularly or a set calcuation is put into the Bylaw; if it's not updated regularly - you end up only getting a portion of money that would be useful.

When I had suggested the upgrading of Gottingen Street into a mixed use corridor (as well as Agricola); I had suggested at least one main parking garage for both sites, if not two. They could be potential cash cows for HRM if they created a parking authority - Calgary's Parking authority brings in a lot of money to the city.

But I do agree with you that the whole area could be improved.
I've been taking all these ideas and collecting them, working on some rough maps as ideas to keep should I ever get back to HRM. I'm getting forgetful in my old age - but these are projects that could inspire some great conversations.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 9:15 PM

I posted this video in the light rail discussion thread, but I'm posting it here not for it's suggestion of LRT improving things - but for the urban design shown in the video.

If you watch it from 0:58 to the end and look at the design of some of the highrise buildings in the video - I think it gives a rather interesting idea of building form for places like Quinpool, Agricola or even Gottingen Street.
There is a 14 storey building shown in the portion about 'Independence' that is a combination of brick work for the bottom 4 stories and then steel and glass for the remaining. There is another good one at the 2:05 mark at the bottom right corner, similar design.

This combination of old style buildings (which I believe exist now) and then more modern above really interests me and I think would look great for those areas. If you put pre-set design criteria to make them look old, but new (if you get what I mean); it can be pretty interesting.

Here is the video:
Video Link

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 10:45 PM

Now that the RCMP will be relocating to a massive new building in Burnside (why is the old building already obsolete, I wonder; it is not that old), the existing RCMP bunker on the corner of Bayers and Oxford should be opened up for development proposals.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2010, 10:55 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's easy to imagine a highrise building on the Ben's site with lots of parking either underground or in a parking structure at the back of the lot with retail in front and an entrance off of Quinpool.

Parking structures don't have to be ugly, though unfortunately that's the only variety that exists in Halifax (see: MetroPark).

They could eliminate on-street parking on Quinpool, put in reversing lanes like at the rotary or bridge, then widen the sidewalks somewhat and put in trees between pedestrians and cars. That would likely be a better solution for everybody than what currently exists. Add in a dozen or so mid-sized infill buildings with underground parking and you'd have a really successful street. Quinpool is doing okay right now but it is a little quiet, which is to be expected when you have single family dwellings nearby with limitations on apartments and slowly shrinking household sizes.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It's easy to imagine a highrise building on the Ben's site with lots of parking either underground or in a parking structure at the back of the lot with retail in front and an entrance off of Quinpool.

Parking structures don't have to be ugly, though unfortunately that's the only variety that exists in Halifax (see: MetroPark).

They could eliminate on-street parking on Quinpool, put in reversing lanes like at the rotary or bridge, then widen the sidewalks somewhat and put in trees between pedestrians and cars. That would likely be a better solution for everybody than what currently exists. Add in a dozen or so mid-sized infill buildings with underground parking and you'd have a really successful street. Quinpool is doing okay right now but it is a little quiet, which is to be expected when you have single family dwellings nearby with limitations on apartments and slowly shrinking household sizes.
KeithP> I wonder how much of the soon to be former RCMP site will have to be gobbled up for the Bayers Road widening?

Someone123> I somewhat agree with you on Metropark. It's a step up from the parkade that was where the Twisted Sisters will be; but it still falls down. You can design them quite nicely with retail on the ground floor - although I think if you were going to do a parkade and still have reversing lanes for peak hours - you will need to eliminate access off of Quinpool completely during peak hours (let alone any other time) - in addition to parking (at least in my opinion). I would think it would be better to encourage the mixed use buildings in the entire block between Quinpool and Pepperell (between Preston and Vernon Streets) and allow shared access off Pepperell Street for vehicles. The 'front half' of the block facing the street can have the commercial component with residential above and then blocks behind can share a driveway and have low rise residential (say 5 stories) facing the smaller homes.

Perhaps the parkade at the corner of Quinpool and Vernon where an existing strip mall is?

In the concept I did up, I saw the mall redeveloping as well. Opening up more opportunity for another residential tower (or two). I'm thinking demolish the existing mall component, but leave the existing residential. Dig out the parking lot to build more parking below grade (2 stories, plus at grade level) and then a redesigned commercial space at the street. Combine this with improved sidewalk as previously suggested, more trees, better bus stops and 2 more residential towers, I think you have some real density going here. I'd also add that the 4 storey buildings in the back should also increase or be re-designed to be something a bit stronger, but with low density right behind it - nothing too big (say 7 to 10 stories with the building stepped to it's maximum height).

Has there been any decision on the St. Patrick's school site? That could be a huge building lot for 2 high towers of mixed use.

I was thinking of a way that could inspire good design form through zoning the other night and reading about bonusing methods used in other zoning based Cities. This might be an area that could inspire some much needed public realm improvements while achieving certain densities and then not having to go through a development agreement - eliminating an appeal, but still maybe use the new planning committee to be something more than just downtown.

What I was thinking was creating a specific mixed use zoning district where all the typical uses that you would want to see along the street (including big retail stores); you'd have to right rules to make the design interesting - articulation, maybe specific materials and size limitations for things like big box retail so it didn't dominate - but then for building height - you allow an as of right minimum height of say 10 stories and then an as of right maximum height of 15 stories. Then if you wanted to max out your height and density to say 20 stories; you'd have to do thinks like build to say leed: silver or gold, contribute to public realm improvements, contribute to the building of a common use parkade, donate money for park improvements or local community improvements, green roofs, solar panels, etc. Instead of the Development Officer deciding if what you did was good to get the max height - the planning committee they've setup would. It would be a technical presentation by someone in Planning, then the developer could answer questions - they'd comment on design and could approve it with tweeks as needed. The problem is that you'd have to do form based zoning - which isn't easy to do. A DA would be great because its all a contract; but then there is that appeal again.

You could also knock the numbers down if 20 stories was too high for people; say the max height is 15 and then the as of right limits would be 5 to 10?

The mixed use block could continue down the north side of Quinpool and include the entire block from Yale to Quinpool. But only the lots facing Quinpool on all the way down to Elm, but I would encourage residential on the south side from Connaught all the way up the mixed use area which could start Beech and run east. With the two infill condo buildings on Pepperell at Oxford, I'd say that style development would work all down Pepperell and all down the south side of Quinpool to Connaught and along Oxford Street up to Oak.

Thoughts?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 1:13 PM

Yep. Parking garages don't have to be ugly.

San Fran:

This red brick one would fit in perfectly! lol

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 1:14 PM

I think this one is at Arizona State University?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 1:16 PM

OR! You could go green and funky like this one in Santa Monica!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 7:00 PM

We have a parking garage here in downtown Calgary that until I actually used it; I thought was an office building.

Here's the streetview image:
Streetview

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 7:14 PM

Potential redevelopment locations

So after doing some posting on here last night; I went over HRM and came up with a list of potential locations to consider redevelopment. Some of them are from our discussions here, some are places I thought would be good. I should point out that not all these sites would be mixed use commercial/residential - they maybe more office or office/campus development, or even include hotels etc.

Here is my 'growth' wish list:
  1. Ashburn Golf Course
  2. West End Mall (mixed use commercial/residential towers - with TOD for commuter rail)
  3. Agricola Street Commercial Corridor (From North Street to Cunard)
  4. Armoury Block (South of the Armoury)
  5. Agricola Block 2 (The area north of North Street including Robie, May, Ontario and Fuller Terr)
  6. Hydrostone Block 1 (Kaye, Gottingen, Almond, Agircola - Includes St. John's Church Site)
  7. Hydrostone Block 2 (Isleville, Hennessey, Agricola, Kaye, Young and Hillford - the triangular block)
  8. Hydrostone Block 3 (Young, Agircola, Robie, Russell; excluding the Cable site)
  9. Hydrostone Block 4 (Robie, Macara, Agricola, Almon)
  10. Robie Block (Almon, Gladstone, North and Robie)
  11. Forum Block (Windsor, North, Almon and Robie)
  12. Superstore/Strip Mall - Young Street
  13. Robie Car lot block (west of the Agricola corridor)
  14. Robie Block 2 (Robie, Clifton, Charles and Cunard)
  15. Gottingen Street Corridor (Uniacke Square, Gerrish, Ceighton, Gottingen and Cunard)
  16. Quinpool Mixed use corridor (Allan/Williams; Robie; Pepperell; Oak and Beach)
  17. Brenton Block (Block containing the Trillium)
  18. Parking lots to the east of the Trillium
  19. South Block (Wellington, South, Inglis, South Park)
  20. Lucknow Block (Bland, Victoria, Lucknow, Inglis)
  21. Bland Block (Bland, Victoria, Inglis)
  22. Morris/South (Morris/South/Queen/Barrington)
  23. Lady Hammond Road Block (Upzone exitsing apartments; townhouse area)
  24. Bayers Road (The Village; Scott, Desmond, Bayers, Joe Howe Drive)
  25. Westerwald Block (section of land backing onto old train tracks north of the 102 overpass)
  26. Fairview (Dutch Village, Percey and Andrew - case already being done for this)
  27. Fairview Block 2 (Vimmy, Bedford Highway, Dutch Village, Alma, Titus)
  28. Wyse Road Block (Wyse, Lyle, William, Davison)
  29. Dartmouth Shopping Centre (TOD - mixed use)
  30. Brightwood Golf Course
  31. Green Block (Green, Bland, Nantucket, Victoria)
  32. Thistle Block (land east of the golf course along Thistle)
  33. Albro Lake Block (Victoria, Slayter, Chappell, Leaman, Crystal/Brule)
  34. Highfield Park (taller, bigger towers adjacent to bus station - TOD)
  35. Shannon Park
  36. Shannon Park North (north of DFO lands)
  37. Portland Block (north of King's Wharf)
  38. Downtown Dartmouth - towers, mixed use (TOD)
  39. Newcastle Block (Old Ferry Road to tupper; West of Victoria/Newcastle)
  40. Brownlown Park/Penhorn area
  41. Main Street Corridor (HRM already doing plan)
  42. Portland Street (along BRT)
  43. Cole Harbour (in general)
  44. Windmill Road Fast Ferry option (office towers/campus development around the area)

The street names are meant to assist in providing rough areas to define the 'block'. So in the case of the Morris/South block - it would be the area defined from Morris to South to Queen to Barrington (it should create a block).

44 - that's not too bad and much of it is along major transit lines.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 8:25 PM

"South Block (Wellington, South, Inglis, South Park)"

Some of the properties on Inglis street between Tower and South Park are absolutely atrocious. Most of them have the Heritage designation too.. so there is nothing you can do about it. I'm not talking about a little paint either. Some of those houses have massive holes in them and are falling down.

A lot of ugly properties too (people not cutting grass, garbage everywhere). It's pretty bad.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMacD View Post
"South Block (Wellington, South, Inglis, South Park)"

Some of the properties on Inglis street between Tower and South Park are absolutely atrocious. Most of them have the Heritage designation too.. so there is nothing you can do about it. I'm not talking about a little paint either. Some of those houses have massive holes in them and are falling down.

A lot of ugly properties too (people not cutting grass, garbage everywhere). It's pretty bad.
You can encorporate them or - after waiting 1 years; they can be demolished. There is always a way!

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 6:36 PM

I just realized that I left off the list a portion of the Robie/Spring Garden/Carlton/College Block (mainly those lots facing Robie or Spring Garden).

If I recall correctly Carlton and portions of Tower Road are heritage streetscapes; so I don't think those buildings could easily come down - but I would inclined to see the Tower Terrace Block (where a new building went up recently on the corner of Wellington and South Street) be the main upzoning area. Some of the multis in that block look old and could use an update or rebuild to something a little taller.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 10:26 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Inglis is sad. It should have become a major commercial street (partly serving SMU) with a moderate amount of infill and lots of new residential on sidestreets. It's in limbo because it's yet another place where residents don't want anything to be built.

The heritage designations have not been particularly helpful since some of the nicest properties have been torn down over the years while middling houses were used as an excuse to keep everything in stasis.

Maybe the Southwest project by the grain elevator will help but it takes so much more than that to support a full, viable range of services.

Horribly inefficient, unattractive land use: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...164.54,,0,6.27

Random little house and ugly condos: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,31.28,,0,4.83 ... South Street does a somewhat better job at this: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.011362&z=17

You can thank the city for this one: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...150.82,,0,7.29

Old Posted Jul 15, 2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Inglis is sad. It should have become a major commercial street (partly serving SMU) with a moderate amount of infill and lots of new residential on sidestreets. It's in limbo because it's yet another place where residents don't want anything to be built.

The heritage designations have not been particularly helpful since some of the nicest properties have been torn down over the years while middling houses were used as an excuse to keep everything in stasis.

Maybe the Southwest project by the grain elevator will help but it takes so much more than that to support a full, viable range of services.
The heritage streetscapes only apply to a small portion of Tower Road and Inglis Street. So it's the north side of Inglis Street between South Park and Lucknow and then the east side of Tower Road between Inglis and Victoria Road.

The horrible little building at the bend of Inglis as it becomes Barrington Street (across the street from 'the ship house' owned by architect Geoff Keddy) (if i'm not mistaken) was a result of the big sewage problem during the floods; so as much as I dislike it - its a necessary evil I'm willing to accept (so long as it keeps the sewers from backing up again).

I share your hope that the new building by the grain elevators would be a catalyst - that new building that went up on South Street by the VG looks pretty nice too. Considering that most of the tower road block to the west is multi in some form (and not registered heritage properties); I really do see that entire block being an opportunity. The height precinct is 70 feet and the new building on the Wellington Corner is 95'; so it's a good example of improved density at the 10 to 12 storey level without causing too much fuss.

Btw; I dated the lawyer that lived in the dark blue townhouse there on south street - he ran for the liberals a few times.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:

Horribly inefficient, unattractive land use: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...164.54,,0,6.27

Random little house and ugly condos: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,31.28,,0,4.83 ... South Street does a somewhat better job at this: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.011362&z=17

You can thank the city for this one: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...150.82,,0,7.29
There are much worse properties than that too.

Inglis is a train wreck. Some of the houses are literally falling down but you can't do anything about it.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2010, 12:44 PM

This is the most obvious site for new development in the heart of the BD.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2010, 6:23 PM

^That is the Texpark (United Gulf) site. It's the two 27 storey towers that are approved but in limbo from all of the appeals and whatnot.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General