HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 11:47 AM

phil knight is a dork

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 5:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxstreetcar View Post
whats the point of the berm surrounding the property?
I believe it avoids hauling massive amounts of excavation spoils to other locations or land-fills. Seems to me that it saves large amounts of fuel, pollution and money to use this material on site.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 6:56 PM

Just a note on animation:
Pixar is located in a suburb.
Disney (during its heyday) was located in a suburb
every significant american animation studio is or has been located in a suburb
moving Laika to a suburb doesn't mean anything except that maybe some people will have to commute

I, for one, am excited Phil Knight is willing to invest time and money into what could be an excellent studio. I think there's a lot of talent in the region and this is a positive development for it.

He didn't have to do shit, if he didn't want. Why the bitching?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 7:02 PM

Quote:
He didn't have to do shit, if he didn't want. Why the bitching?
True that, but this is Oregon...we can dream can't we?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 7:23 PM
BANNED

The best thing about Knight deciding where to locate and invest is if he makes the wrong move and it doesn't work out, we don't have to pay for it, he does.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 8:47 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowden352 View Post
Just a note on animation:
Pixar is located in a suburb.
Disney (during its heyday) was located in a suburb
every significant american animation studio is or has been located in a suburb
moving Laika to a suburb doesn't mean anything except that maybe some people will have to commute
Yes, you're right: in order to operate an animation studio, you must locate in a suburb. Brilliant!

Whey the angst? Disinvestment in the central city, mostly. Not-very-efficient use of space in the burbs, given land prices.

Perhaps we should do like Phil & erect a giant concrete barricade around the city of Portland, like they are in Jerusalem, to keep the soulless/uncultured barbarians [suburbanites] out?

Snowden, I take it you are the anti-academic? Can't question how the world works, now can we.. we're just mere saps.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 9:29 PM
Pacific Wonderland

Most studios are within the city of LA, or a city touching it. If you took the equivalent to Tualatin, then its LA equivalent would be like in Pomona, where there are no studios. Studios are urban creatures 100%, they took the large plots (Laika is by NO means a large lot, plenty of land that size a hell of a tlot closer) of land that were closest to the city when they were built, this first, Hollywood, then the west side, then the valley/Burbank. They didn't just skip way the hell out there for ego sake.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 9:51 PM

Zilfondel, that's exactly what i was doing. Don't keep calling me or anyone else "saps."

Unless you wanna take this outside...

Last edited by Snowden352; Mar 7, 2007 at 9:58 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 10:05 PM

Figured I'd use some of this time I have laying around and scan in this rendering for the thread...

For something that's supposed to be a center for creativity and innovation, this seems a pretty poor showing. Large grass spaces with no real landscaping except for the little parking lot blinds, blocky industrial complex buildings with little apparent access for natural light, and am I the only one that finds a full fitness center a touch odd for an animation studio? Taken all together it seems to be a little too much Nike and not enough Vinton. I feel sorry for the animators.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 10:16 PM

Unhappy

Eh, I take it back. The site's a loser. Blah.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 10:28 PM

^mmm_hmmm

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 5:50 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenCity View Post
I don't see anything here that couldn't have been accommodated on a few blocks in NW Portland. So why does this have to be in Tualatin?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 3:55 PM

^cause Knight's limo can get in and out undetected. Truthfully, I'm surprised they didn't locate in the woods across from Nike. Kaiser was going to build a hospital there, but Nike cancelled the deal two years ago. I thought at the time it must be for Laika, but I guess not.

In all seriousness, it sucks they are in the burbs, but this is 600 good paying jobs in the community, and with success with a few films, it could easily grow to 1500 or more. This is still good for the region, especially if it causes a cluster effect like Intel did.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 5:25 PM
Karma Police

Agreed, but having a cluster of studios in NW Portland would have been better.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2007, 5:51 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Probably because he couldn't build 22 acres of parking in NW Portland like he wanted.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 3:37 AM
Well designed mixed use

That is horrible. I think this is a good moment for the baby eater smiley.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2007, 3:42 PM

^That's so wrong on so many levels

Here's Gragg's take

Mellow design for Knight studio
Friday, March 09, 2007
RANDY GRAGG
The Oregonian

There are many things architect Robert Thompson would like the world to know about the new campus he's designing for Laika Inc., the animation company Nike founder Phil Knight is trying to build into one of the world's great film studios.

But high among them is a feature the campus won't have: a berm.

For the past 20 years, nearly every article written about the Nike World Headquarters he designed for Knight has prominently mentioned the grassy mound surrounding the campus, so Thompson can be excused for a little over-sensitivity.

Besides, there are plenty of other points of comparison between Nike and Laika. Like Nike, Laika is in the 'burbs. (After a quick sniff at Portland, Knight went to Tualatin.) It features Thompson's brand of classical, highly formal Modernism, a la Mies van der Rohe by way of Richard Meier. And it's well short of state-of-the-art sustainable design.

Yes, the Laika campus plans follow the Nike recipe, for sure. But that said, the Tualatin design also promises to be very, very different.

"It will be more intimate and a much smaller scale," Thompson says, leafing through early computer renderings. "Hopefully, it will be an elegant, neutral environment that allows highly creative people to do what they do with all the flexibility the industry demands."

Indeed, from the curving entry drive that drops 20 feet to the main entrance turnaround, to the ensemble of composite aluminum, ribbed metal, glass and woods layering the buildings and the interwoven formal gardens, Thompson's Laika campus is, in a word, more subtle.

That's because the biggest difference between Nike and Laika is intention. Thompson designed Nike's first phase so that it could be easily converted into generic, rentable office space. Back then, Knight knew failure, having endured a near company-busting business slump in the deep recession of the early '80s. In time, as the company and Knight's confidence grew, so did the campus architectural heroics as it grew to house more than 5,000 employees in a setting befitting the Olympics.

For Laika, Thompson is designing four buildings that are all about a projected 600 creative people making films.

The huge, stop-motion studio will be mostly a big box gridded with lights and heavy black velvet curtains so that it can be easily rearranged into shooting studios of anywhere from 10 to 40 feet square. The character-animation studio Thompson describes as "a lot like an architecture office," with a big open space and work modules. Also included are a fitness center, cafeteria, lounges and, of course, a theater.

But the most striking feature may be the gardens: a series -- or, as Thompson calls it, "a chain" -- of stark, highly formal plantings that align with the building's most prominent windows to create a grid of continuous-view corridors right through the buildings.

For a company whose employees will be focused in creating virtual realities, the actual reality of the work environment promises to be a small paradise.

Thompson is teaming on the project with the Dallas-based Mesa Design Group. After having worked with the firm on the Ericsson Inc. Headquarters in Plano, Texas, Thompson is happy to say, "We've finally found someone who gets what we do."

Much like the Nike campus, Laika will be a follower rather than a leader in eco-friendly design. Despite being in a region where even medical science buildings and a theater built inside a historic armory routinely earn top-of-the-ladder "Platinum" Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design ratings, Thompson says Laika will be shooting only for a second-from-bottom "Silver" rating. So far, passive solar design, alternative energy sources and stormwater management have not been drivers in the design.

But while Thompson chafes at quick comparisons between two Phil Knight (or "Phight" as the stamp on the drawings reads) campuses he sees as entirely different, he can take pride in the key similarity: his own recognizable style. In a city in which most architectural firms' buildings tend to blur together and into the background, Thompson's always stand out.

Indeed, had Nike's World Headquarters been any less architecturally demonstrative, no mention of the architecture would ever have been made in all the articles about the company. More subtle as it may be, Laika's campus will be similarly noted should Knight's vision for animation achieve the same success.

Randy Gragg: 503-221-8575; randygragg@news.oregonian.com
http://www.oregonlive.com/living/ore...860.xml&coll=7

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 1:30 AM

Cool

So the site Plan for this thing has a ton of vegetation slated to go into it. The only problem we had with creating this image was the short time frame and the fact that it takes 14-18 hrs to render it with all the trees in it. So every time there was a change to trees it took another 14-18hrs to render it (so finally we bagged most of the trees). Also we were learning a new software program to do the trees. I do think my rendering of the park Ave West tower did turn out better than this one though. Plus in the end it comes down to what the customer wants you should all know that by now

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 1:45 AM

here is a bigger not scanned image of the campus...Also would like to add that almost every green space on this image has trees that will be planted there. If i can post the tree version we rendered I will. Enjoy!!!

liakasite5x7

Last edited by suntzu61; Mar 10, 2007 at 1:59 AM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2007, 1:58 AM

hmm seem to be having problems with imageshack atm....trying to fix it and update previous post

ok fixed enjoy!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon