HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 6, 2006, 6:01 PM
Me?!?

I can't believe how fast they are throwing up the new garage at 6th and Forester Streets! And they have begun construction on the judicial center also. Now add all of this in with the new Fed. bldg. in the area, HBG University's construction, etc., and you have one BOOMING (and even more diverse) downtown!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2006, 6:47 PM

Partners aim to entertain
By Karla Browne, March 6, 2006

Groundbreaking is planned this month on a multimillion dollar entertainment complex near Camp Hill.

The Coliseum is designed to combine dining, gaming and private-event packages in a two-story, 35,000-square-foot facility. It will include three restaurant and a bar.

"Without a doubt, there’s nothing like this in existence in the whole country," says co-owner Jim Geedy of Upper Allen Township.

The 1987 Red Land High School graduate is chief operating officer of a corporation he formed to run the complex with Patrick Meyers, 44, a Hampden Township resident who is a financial manager for Ferris Baker Watts in Camp Hill.

Pool prompts talk

Geedy is a marketer for the Association for Pool, a 60,000-plus-member nationwide organization that includes a local billiard league he recently sold.

The idea for The Coliseum "kind of evolved," between the two men, Geedy says. "I considered putting in a real nice restaurant with a pool hall. (Meyers) was more in tune with family-oriented entertainment."

The result is a plan for a video game arcade, 10 pocket billiard tables and 12 bowling lanes plus wall-to-wall television screens.

The lower level Coliseum Grill is geared to family dining and lighter fare. On the upper level, Salud will offer an eclectic menu created by chefs Danny Bendas and Dean Small.

The nationally franchised MaggieMoo’s Ice Cream and Treatery will feature ice cream made fresh on the premises daily and special appearances by mascot "MaggieMoo," a seven-foot-tall bipedal cow.

"It’s going to be a lot of fun," Geedy says.

An events coordinator is to custom-design birthday parties, bridal receptions, business retreats and more at the complex at 410 St. John’s Church Road.

For more information, email info@coliseumfun.com.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2006, 7:46 PM
Me?!?

/\
Sounds like a Dave & Buster's. I think this is a really good idea for the area and I am sure it will do well!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2006, 12:24 AM
joining the rail club

wow...i'm impressed with all the great posts here. there is so much going on. i've been stuck up in pottsville for too long lol

Dave...was a permanant site for the federal bldg decided yet? i've been out of the loop so i may have missed it.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2006, 1:31 AM

Location: I find myself surrounded by highways, fast food, and warehouses
Some of us are "stuck" a bit further away than Pottsville . Was in downtown Allentown today....and I could'nt believe what I was seeing. At 12:15 PM (as in....lunch time), the streets in the core of the city were empty. I walked all over the central core of the city and there was almost no one around, other than the few smokers hanging by doorways. No matter what issues 'da burg has, it is'nt that bad.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2006, 6:13 PM
Me?!?

Very true, Mike, very true!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2006, 5:27 PM
Me?!?

Sure is dead around these parts. Where did everyone go?!?

Anyway, Tom Sawyer's Diner is together and set to open in May. Looks pretty cool. For those that don't know, it's an old-school group of 50s diner cars that is now taking up all of the grass lot in front of the 2nd St. garage. This is not my first choice for such an important parcel of land but hey, it is MUCH better than nothing (and being 24 hrs. is a big bonus too). I wonder where the cops and ambulances will park now when the bars/clubs let out, though.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2006, 2:19 AM

A) The diner cars can be moved for when a "better use" comes along, B)Those dinner cars were sitting waiting to get demolished for a road project outside Allentown, and C) DT needs a 24-hour diner.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2006, 3:29 AM
joining the rail club

i think the 24 hour dinner is a great idea....what ever happened to the three level bar/entertainment complex that was proposed for that spot?

personally, i'd really like to see the revival of modern highrise building for that location that was proposed in the past, with the bottom floors being used for retail/commerical establishments like restaurants

Old Posted Mar 10, 2006, 3:31 PM
Me?!?

AWESOME news, as it was bumped up from 17 to 22 stories and will have a HUGE impact on our skyline! And I am happy to see that it will more than likely be a GLASS 'scraper for once (IMO we need more glass in our skyline).

Harrisburg University plans 22-story tower

Friday, March 10, 2006
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

It would have college classrooms, hundreds of parking spaces, retail businesses and an auditorium all rolled into what would become Harrisburg's second-tallest building.

The downtown center for Harrisburg University of Science and Technology would rise 22 floors and 230 feet above Fourth and Market streets.

Its six stories of classroom space would be enough for many as 1,800 students and provide a home for the growing university for 10 to 12 years, university officials said.

Only 333 Market St., which houses the state Department of Education across Market Street from the proposed building, would be taller.

Details of the university tower were made public as the university's architectural firm, Burt, Hill of Butler, unveiled the first artist's drawing of the project.

The drawings show a pre-cast concrete, brick and glass tower that will be known for its distinctive over-hanging roof that resembles a graduation cap.

"It's a big challenge to create a high-rise university, yet give it a campus feel," said architect Alex Wing.

Eric D. Darr, the university's vice president of finance and administration, estimated that the tower would cost $75 million to design, build and furnish.

University officials and building designers said they are still pricing materials and working out how much construction would cost.

The plans were shown to the Harrisburg Planning Commission Wednesday, but the university has yet to submit its official application for city approvals.

Darr and architect Alex Wing said they hoped to break ground on the building in October and complete it within 24 months.

Harrisburg University enrolled its first tuition-paying class of 110 students in September. It's sharing space with the affiliated SciTech High in the 200 block of Market Street.

The first floor would include a library, reading room and public meeting space. There would be room for street-level retail businesses and a hallway connecting the building to Strawberry Square, the designers said.

The building would have 11 levels of parking for as many as 507 cars.

About 300 of the spaces would be earmarked for the university.

In addition to classrooms, there would be administrative suites, a 125-seat auditorium and a rooftop garden and courtyard.

There are no residential quarters for students.

Rather than have the building appear as a monolith, architects said they incorporated large vertical glass columns that run the length of the elevator shafts and make the building seem "see-through."

"It gives it a sense of openness," Wing said, adding that the overall effect of the design elements is to evoke a "sculpted form."

Early reaction of planning commission members was positive.

"I am completely impressed," said member Ronnie Shaeffer. I think it's well thought out."

"It looks great," added member Calobe Jackson Jr. "I like it."

While university officials said the building would meet the university's needs until 2018, they remain interested in acquiring the U.S. Postal Service property at 813 Market St.

They envision that the Harrisburg University campus eventually would occupy much of the land bounded by the State Street and Mulberry Street bridges on the north and south, the railroad tracks on the west, and the edge of Allison Hill to the east.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2006, 5:29 PM
joining the rail club

^ wow...i'm very impressed. this is definately HUGE!

but at 22 floors and 230 feet, the building would only be 70m tall...making it the tenth tallest in the city, not the second. the glass look will be something very different though and definately contribute something to the skyline.
333 Market St - 103.9 m
Pennsylvania Place - 88.7 m
Pennsylvania State Capitol - 82.9 m
Presbyterian Apartments - 79.2 m
Fulton Bank - 78.0 m est
Market Square Plaza - 75.0 m
Rachel Carson Building - 73.0 m
Strawberry Square Phase I - 71.0 m
Penn National Insurance Plaza - 70.0 m

Last edited by wrightchr; Mar 10, 2006 at 5:42 PM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2006, 7:25 PM
Me?!?

/\
Yeah, Chris, I too was wondering why the article printed where it would fall in the skyline wrong.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2006, 4:16 PM
Me?!?

This kind of sucks, but I guess the bright side is that it opens the door for something else...

Farm Show area hotel plans dropped

Farm Show hotel plans derailed again

Saturday, March 11, 2006
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Patrons of the Pennsylvania State Farm Show might be waiting for a convenient, nearby hotel until the cows come home.

That's because a second project to build a hotel on or near the Farm Show Complex appears to have wilted in the field.

Harrisburg officials said the developer of a 95-room Comfort Inn Suites Hotel at 1017-1033 Maclay St. was unable to close on the property, casting the project in doubt.

"At the 11th hour, the deal didn't go through," said Harrisburg economic development director Ed Nielsen.

The developer, Donald H. Erwin, president of Insite Development of Mechanicsburg, declined to comment on specifics, except to say that he attempted two closings on the land at the agreed-upon price.

The tract is across from the southern end of the Farm Show grounds.

Erwin said he is still committed to building a hotel near the Farm Show Complex, but not necessarily at the Maclay Street site.

Erwin had hoped to break ground last month, with the opening of the hotel in time for next year's Farm Show.

It is the second hotel project for the area to be cast in limbo. Last year, Crossgates Inc. of Harrisburg dropped plans to build a 150-room suites-style hotel and conference center on the grounds after the state Senate postponed a vote on approving the land deal for the venture.

Under the legislation, the state would have sold a 5-acre plot at the northeast end of the Farm Show Complex to Crossgates for $550,000.

But Sen. Jeffrey Piccola, R-Dauphin County, persuaded the State Government Committee to postpone the vote, citing concerns about the parking spaces and other issues.

Crossgates officials said the delay was too long to hold the company's deal with the hotel franchise, Staybridge Suites.

But city spokesman Randy King said interest in developing the area around the Farm Show remains strong.

King said another developer is considering a site on the south side of Industrial Road for a Super 8 Motel and a stand-alone restaurant.

King said it might be possible to revive a hotel for the Farm Show grounds if the project includes a parking garage.

However, a spokesman for the state Department of General Services said there's been no discussions of another deal to sell Farm Show land for such a project.

Another hotel has been proposed for a site about a mile away, off Kohn Road and along Interstate 81 in Susquehanna Twp.

Lower Paxton Twp. developer Rick Szeles, managing partner of Szeles Real Estate Development Co., said he hopes to start building the 100-room hotel and office buildings in 2007.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2006, 4:20 PM
Me?!?

City Island stadium sign to reach for new heights

Sign at Senators' stadium to serve as 'regional marker'

Saturday, March 11, 2006
BY JOHN LUCIEW
Of The Patriot-News

Some fans still refer to the baseball park on Harrisburg's City Island by its old name, RiverSide Stadium.

Soon, there'll be no mistaking the corporate moniker of the home of the Harrisburg Senators.

Commerce Bank, which plunked down $3.5 million in 2004 to attach its name to the stadium for the next 15 years, plans to erect an 80-foot-high, 488-square-foot illuminated sign to let everyone know.

"The sign is to be seen as a regional marker for the stadium," said Larry Lugaro, Commerce Bank's vice president of facilities.

"Before, we had a small, little sign -- about 8 feet high at the entrance," he said. "This will be a big sign."

The sign, which is to be erected near the stadium entrance, would stand taller than the City Island tree line and be about even with stadium lights.

It is scheduled to go up this spring, but probably won't be ready for the start of the Senators' season next month, Lugaro said.

The Senators are the Class AA affiliate of the Washington Nationals.

With its internal illumination, the sign would glow on both sides and be visible from the East and West shores of the Susquehanna River, Lugaro said.

It would be emblazoned with the words "Commerce Bank Park," and would feature the bank's red "C" logo against a blue background.

It would be topped by a representation of the capitol dome to denote Harrisburg.

Not everyone's a fan.

David Zwifka, executive director of Historic Harrisburg Association, said such a big sign could overpower the skyline, especially because the rest of City Island is undeveloped.

"I have to wonder what it would do to the general aesthetic of City Island," said Zwifka, who said he was speaking as a citizen and not for the preservation group because HHA hasn't looked into matter.

"I think a lot of people will wonder what's happening," Zwifka said. "Is it going to create a neon string out there in the middle of the river?"

Commerce Bank officials said the sign would enhance City Island's profile and serve as an added attraction. Lugaro said that the sign would be lit up only during the baseball season or when City Island is in operation.

"The high visibility of the sign will add value to the promotion of the ballpark and other City Island attractions," said Commerce Bank spokesman Jason S. Kirsch.

"We think it will fit well, especially in the context of the surroundings."

Bank officials presented their designs last week to the Harrisburg Planning Commission.

The bank needs a special exception to the city's zoning rules because the sign would exceed the height and size limits for City Island.

The sign would soar above the city's 8-foot height limit by 72 feet. That's roughly the height of a 10-story building. It would dwarf the city's 8-square-foot size limit for signs by 480 square feet.

The bank also must obtain approvals to build in the 100-year flood plain and secure land development approvals and building permits.

The construction of the sign originally was meant to coincide with renovations to the stadium, but that $30 million project was put on hold by Mayor Stephen R. Reed last August.

The plans called for installing skyboxes and adding more seats, a party deck, new restaurant and a grand entryway to the ballpark, which was built in 1987.

But Reed said he was forced to delay the stadium improvements because Gov. Ed Rendell has yet to deliver a state commitment to pick up $16.9 million of the cost.

That means that the remodeled baseball park won't be a reality until the spring of 2007, at the earliest.

Lugaro said the delay in the stadium improvements won't affect the new sign, which is being positioned to accent what would become the grand entryway to the renovated ballpark.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2006, 4:21 PM
Me?!?

Another example of how the HBG metro's sci/tech focus is growing by leaps and bounds!

College science center plan advances

Saturday, March 11, 2006
BY JOE ELIAS
Of Our Carlisle Bureau

CARLISLE - The Borough Council has approved a land development plan for the next stage of construction of a multi-million dollar science center at Dickinson College.

The 150,000-square-foot complex is being built in phases along North College Street, an area the council rezoned in September from town center residential to institutional. The plan calls for consolidation of 12 lots.

Tuesday night's action allows the college to break ground this spring on a new science building on the site of the current James Building. That work, along with planned renovations to Althouse Hall on North College Street, comprise a $50 million construction phase scheduled for spring 2008 completion.

The first phase of the science center was completed in 2000 with construction of the $14 million Tome Scientific Building, which houses physics, astronomy, math and computer science departments.

The college has not placed a price tag on the final phase of the project, which will involve construction of a second building. It has not established a timetable for that building.

The geology, environmental studies and psychology departments housed in the James Building will be moved temporarily into the former Reeves-Hoffman crystal plant on West North Street, which Dickinson bought in 2003 for $1 million.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2006, 6:29 PM

Hmmmmm, why does Commerce Bank want a giant neon sign over Harrisburg.....it's not like anyone else has such a sign....oh wait....never mind.

There was a point of the Sci-Tech story that I missed on the first reading. Last sentence of the article:

"They envision that the Harrisburg University campus eventually would occupy much of the land bounded by the State Street and Mulberry Street bridges on the north and south, the railroad tracks on the west, and the edge of Allison Hill to the east."

Much of the land....I thought a good chunk of that was owned by the electric and steam companies? I don't have a problem with converting the post office into a university....but annexing real estate tax-paying land into a tax-exempt university....well, Harrisburg already has serious issues on how much land is tax exempt. Besides, that area will most likely be DT's 3rd expansion area (after the Southern Gateway/I-83/3rd Street, and the Northern Corridor/7th Street).

Old Posted Mar 11, 2006, 8:49 PM
Me?!?

I agree, Mike, but I do think that area would be a PERFECT univ. section. My solution then? Offer relocation of the taxed companies that will be lost to one of the new gateway areas. IMO that would be a total win/win: the companies get a new spot AND you set the spark for growth in the new gateways...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2006, 5:00 PM
Me?!?

Panel rejects rezoning request

Sunday, March 12, 2006
BY JACK SHERZER
Of The Patriot-News

A request to rezone 19 acres along Union Deposit Road next to the Union Square Shopping Center to clear the way for an apartment complex was unanimously rejected by the Susquehanna Twp. commissioners.

The refusal to rezone the mostly wooded tract was met with cheers by more than 50 residents at Thursday's meeting. The residents said they were concerned the planned 96 apartments would bring more traffic and congestion.

"Traffic," said Carl Reitz, of the 600 block of Shield Street, when asked why he objected to the change.

Janice Latteer, who lives on the same block and, like Reitz, has been there for the past 10 years, agreed.

"There is too much traffic, and it would just create more traffic," Latteer said.

Both also said they were afraid that if the development occurred, people in the neighborhood would sell and eventually destroy the neighborhood.

Area residents had said they were worried because the apartment complex's main access would be off Canby Street. That street is part of a small road network running through about 90 single-family homes in the Latshmere East housing development.

The commissioners didn't comment before rejecting the zoning change, which was sought by Mark X. DiSanto, CEO of Triple Crown, who had pledged to work with residents to address concerns.

DiSanto, who was not at Thursday's meeting, proposed three apartment buildings with 32 units each.

In describing the development, which would be called "Pin Oak," DiSanto had touted quality, higher-density housing as being less taxing on local infrastructure, reducing commuting times and pressures on roads, and combating sprawls.

He also claimed traffic studies showed the apartment complex would generate 37 percent fewer car trips per day than if the land were developed under existing highway commercial zoning.

DiSanto had sought to have the entire tract rezoned to "business-office-professional" use.

DiSanto could not be reached for comment Friday on what he now intends to do.

Attorney Bruce J. Warshawsky, representing Dr. Robert Kaneda, who owns most of the land in question, said his client and the developer may resubmit the request after they work on ways to alleviate traffic concerns.

DiSanto had requested the township hold off on voting, and Warshawsky said that request was done because they wanted some time to address problems raised by residents.

Warshawsky said his client and the developer might also just build allowable commercial uses. All parties have acknowledged it's a tough piece to build on because of a large ravine with a stream running down the center.

"We understood the neighbors concerns, and we didn't want a quick vote," Warshawsky said. "We really thought we could sit down and strategize and come up with a plan that neighbors would probably support that would not impose traffic on nearby Canby Street."

Old Posted Mar 13, 2006, 2:09 PM

Iteresting article about the ballfield sign. This part especially:

"The sign would soar above the city's 8-foot height limit by 72 feet. That's roughly the height of a 10-story building. It would dwarf the city's 8-square-foot size limit for signs by 480 square feet."

The island is owned by the parks and rec department and is zoned as a park, but an 8' limit? Everything on the island is over 8' high. The lights, stands, party pavillion, parking garage, and the huge signs that ring the outfield.

I've never had cause to read the city's sign ordinance, but 8 sqare feet is also super-small. Almost every business has a sign bigger than that. Maybe the 8 square feet is the size limit for sandwich board type signs only (?).

Old Posted Mar 13, 2006, 4:07 PM
Me?!?

Get ready for some nasty weather!

Severe Weather Alert

Special Weather Statement

WARREN-MCKEAN-POTTER-ELK-CAMERON- NORTHERN CLINTON-CLEARFIELD- NORTHERN CENTRE-SOUTHERN CENTRE-CAMBRIA-BLAIR- HUNTINGDON-MIFFLIN- JUNIATA-SOMERSET- BEDFORD-FULTON-FRANKLIN-TIOGA-NORTHERN LYCOMING- SULLIVAN-SOUTHERN CLINTON- SOUTHERN LYCOMING-UNION-SNYDER- MONTOUR- NORTHUMBERLAND-COLUMBIA-PERRY- DAUPHIN-SCHUYLKILL-LEBANON- CUMBERLAND- ADAMS-YORK-LANCASTER- 952 AM EST MON MAR 13 2006
...SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH LARGE HAIL...DAMAGING WINDS AND EVEN A FEW ISOLATED TORNADOES ARE POSSIBLE THIS AFTERNOON INTO TONIGHT...

A POTENT STORM WILL MOVE NORTHEAST TO THE UPPER GREAT LAKES BY THIS EVENING...REACHING SOUTHERN QUEBEC TUESDAY MORNING.

VERY WARM AND MOIST AIR WILL MOVE INTO ALL OF CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA AND THE SUSQUEHANNA VALLEY FOR THIS AFTERNOON WITH TEMPERATURES REACHING THE 60S AND 70S. THE COMBINATION OF THIS INSTABILITY AND STRONG SOUTHWEST WINDS EXCEEDING 40 MPH SEVERAL THOUSAND FEET ABOVE GROUND...WILL PRODUCE SCATTERED SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS BEGINNING EARLY THIS AFTERNOON.

AS THE COLD FRONT TRAILING SOUTH FROM THE LOW PRESSURE CENTER MOVES ACROSS THE REGION LATE TODAY THROUGH EARLY TONIGHT...A NORTH TO SOUTH LINE OF MORE NUMEROUS SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WILL LIKELY DEVELOP OVER THE OHIO VALLEY AND RACE EAST TO THE WESTERN MOUNTAINS OF PENNSYLVANIA BETWEEN 5 AND 8 PM...BRINGING THE POTENTIAL FOR MORE WIDESPREAD WIND DAMAGE AND HAIL. THE TIME THAT THIS ANTICIPATED LINE... OR SECOND ROUND OF STRONG TO SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WILL AFFECT THE SUSQUEHANNA VALLEY WILL BE 10 PM AND 3AM.

SOME OF THE THUNDERSTORMS WILL TAP THE STRONGER WINDS ALOFT AND DEVELOP ROTATION...WHICH COULD LEAD TO ISOLATED TORNADOES.

WIDESPREAD REPORTS OF HAIL...WIND DAMAGE AND NUMEROUS TORNADOES HAVE OCCURRED WITH THIS STORMS ACROSS THE MIDDLE MISSISSIPPI VALLEY...CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN PLAINS STATES OVER THE WEEKEND.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations