HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 10:24 PM
It's Hammer Time

Yes, it's the other half of the building. Though I think there's an addition attached on the West side, facing towards 403 (it's empty giant parking lot currently).

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 1:10 PM

No addition. Just renovating 60% of the south end of the vacate warehouse. The rest is for a another future tenant.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 8:33 PM

Hyatt Place Hotel @ MIP

Construction starting this fall. It will be built between the Atrium Building and the 403 in the overflow parking.

SITE STATISTICS:

Bldg. Height = 5 Storeys = 16.0 m

Bldg GFA = 7,774 sm (83,681 sf)

Parking Provided = 147

No. of Guestrooms = 134

SITE AREA = 12,556.6 sm (135,163 sf) 3.1 acres

Only 2 in Canada and both are in Edmonton. Nearest one to us is in Buffalo.

https://place.hyatt.com/en/hyattplace.html

https://edmontondowntown.place.hyatt...our-hotel.html

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 8:37 PM

I'd be thrilled if it looked anything like the Edmonton Hyatt. Any renders available?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 9:31 PM
It's Hammer Time

HA knew it would be a Hyatt Place. It's basically like Homewood Suites, long term suites with full kitchen and washer and dryer.

I doubt it'll be anything fancy, probably very boxy and a good chance with stucco.

Still this is good news, I know McMaster has been trying for YEARS to get a hotel associated with the University. More hotel space means we can get larger and bigger convention events.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 9:48 PM

That is great news! Healthy competition always good and will give a boost to the MIP.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 5:19 PM

I clicked on the Edmonton Hyatt link earlier and now there's a advertisement for it on my Facebook.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 2:38 AM
It's Hammer Time

Hyatt to build hotel at McMaster University’s Innovation Park in Hamilton

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/7...novation-park/

A consortium of Toronto-based developers plans to build a 134-unit hotel at McMaster Innovation Park facing Highway 403.

No. 16 Hospitality Ltd. says the Hyatt House Hamilton project is expected to cost more than $20 million and be open in the summer of 2019.

"Hamilton seems to be booming," George Papas, one of the principals of No. 16 Hospitality, said Wednesday on why his consortium is building a hotel here.

"McMaster Innovation Park is geographically located for us in Hamilton," he said, adding the park will bring in business to Hotel Hyatt, which will be close to downtown, the university and hospitals.

Zach Douglas, president and CEO of McMaster Innovation Park, said the research hub has been looking to attract a hotel to its site. "We're quite keen to have a quality brand like Hyatt," he said. "They're a good fit … what they propose will be attractive to visiting scholars and researchers coming to us."

Pappas said the consortium didn't know the innovation park had been looking for a hotel and that it was by chance that it looked into the site.

The five-storey hotel will be on about four acres of land the park is leasing to the hotel development group, Douglas said.

It will be located immediately north of the park's atrium building and adjacent to the 403 on an old overflow gravel parking lot, he said.

Douglas expects the hotel will be accessible from Longwood Road South where the park's atrium and campus is located, and from an existing small extension of Frid Street.

"Hamilton is one of the most exciting cities in Canada and McMaster Innovation Park is a big reason why," said Harry Christakis, principal of No. 16 Hospitality, in a news release sent to The Spectator late Wednesday.

The hotel is expected to take 14 to 18 months to build and to generate 25 full-time positions.

"Hyatt House is the ideal offering for a robust and dynamic market such as West Hamilton and the McMaster community. The healthy mix of short- and long-stay demand in the area will be well served by the contemporary and award-winning Hyatt House experience." Scott Richer, Hyatt's vice-president of real estate and development, said in the release.

The hotel is to have 134 apartment-style kitchen suites, free Wi-Fi, and indoor and outdoor common area, a 24-hour gym and indoor pool, and food services.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 3:03 PM

Interesting. It's their newer brand Hyatt House! This is cool. Extended stay hotels are fun.

I hope that they position the building closer to the highway with parking behind so it has an impact on the view from the 403. 5 Stories isn't super tall, but based on that room count I'd guess this will be a decently wide building.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 5:39 PM

Hyatt Place Hotel @ MIP Site Plan

No 16 Hyatt Future Site Plan by R L, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 9:07 PM
It's Hammer Time

Based on the footprint, looks almost identical to this (expect add another floor)...

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 11:37 PM

Welcome addition to our hotel room inventory. Now the question is will it be completed before the sandman on centennial

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 12:33 AM

The article says the hotel is proposed at 5 floors, but that site plan shows 6 and also 5. Either way I'm happy with the orientation of the building on the site, and as far as generic hotel designs go that isn't the worst I've seen.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 2:45 PM

Related to this, is there any sort of set schedule for Frid Street to get extended? As a cyclist I would really like to be able to get to the Innovation Park without having to go on Aberdeen.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 5:09 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
Related to this, is there any sort of set schedule for Frid Street to get extended? As a cyclist I would really like to be able to get to the Innovation Park without having to go on Aberdeen.
No idea but I'd imagine it'll have to get started before 2019 as that's when the LRT construction starts and the extension will be needed for the LRT carhouse.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 5:12 PM

Quote:
The owner of the Samee property would not sell to MIP or the city. The City was in the process of expropriating the property when he went and died. It has slowed the process down.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
The owner of the Samee property would not sell to MIP or the city. The City was in the process of expropriating the property when he went and died. It has slowed the process down.
Ah I was wondering what was going on.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 4:02 PM

New video from McMaster Innovation Park

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgo9s0CTmfo

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 1:25 PM

Pretty slow progress at getting private sector tenants after all these years and money.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Pretty slow progress at getting private sector tenants after all these years and money.
Hopefully the Hyatt hotel is the start of something.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton