HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 11:24 PM

VIA said they might use this station but that was before they canned their Niagara Falls trains - the only ones that pass it. They would have to restart that service if they were to run any trains to Hamilton.

I think a Hamilton New York train would be amazing. In the heyday of passenger rail you could take a train there straight from the TH&B station. If via or amtrak could get their shit together there ought to be a market for an express Toronto - buffalo - Hamilton - New York route.

For the routes within Canada there are routes that could be extended from Aldershot to Hamilton at no inconvenience to existing customers. They don't like to have stops so close together but maybe they could make an exception. They won't want to cut out Aldershot because the Windsor and London trains have to use it.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Anyways this station is gonna look sleek and modern. Historical LIUNA, former GO Station, on one side and a new modern GO Station on the other side.
And the Custom's House on the other.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 3:30 AM
Dustin William

Excited about this for Hamilton's peeps and visitors.

As someone who takes more public transit than anyone I've ever met, this is a very welcome addition to the city.

I travel 2 hours to work, and 2 hours from work daily. HSR > GO > TTC.
I've been doing so for over 7 years.
I work off peak hours, so the 16 Express GO is my only option to leave the city. The 18 > Aldershot > Train to TO is just stupid. The bus is direct and almost alway faster.

In a perfect world, I'd hop on the train on James North, go to Toronto, continue on until Scarborough, then take the TTC up McCowan to work. Less vehicle changes, less hassles overall.

I'm more curious to know how the new James North GO Station, and Hamilton GO Centre will co-exist. The bus bays at the new station...will they replace some of the busses now at Hunter? Will a train still go to the Hunter station even with the James station now taking trains? Curious to know how the HSR will handle this new transit hub and how quick/easy it will be to get there from the Gore Park area.

Believe it or not, many people outside the city think there is no GO service at all to Hamilton most of the day! I tell them, yes there is an express all-day bus to Hamilton. They only thought it was accessible by train in the am and pm rush hours.
I think the train would bring more people to the city who might not currently know about GO's destinations.

Just to have all-day service by train is a huge step forward.

I'm excited to see how the area will bloom. I'm positive there will be a large spike in development.

And who knows, Metro daily might one day be delivered to Hamilton!
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Apr 12, 2015, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
For the routes within Canada there are routes that could be extended from Aldershot to Hamilton at no inconvenience to existing customers. They don't like to have stops so close together but maybe they could make an exception. They won't want to cut out Aldershot because the Windsor and London trains have to use it.
VIA has stations in Grimsby, Aldershot, Oakville and Brampton which also serve as Amtrak's Toronto-NYC route stops. VIA's stations seem to be set around 30 minutes apart on average. It's hard to imagine VIA launching service at James North without terminating it at Aldershot. Maybe a 1,700-vehicle parking facility would sweeten the pot.

VIA service to the James North Station ended in 1992. Aldershot GO opened that year, with Burlington, Hamilton and Dundas VIA services grouped at that station.

GO train service to the James North Station ended in February 1993. Hunter GO was opened in April 1996.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 3:25 PM

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeIsThomas View Post
What's the building being made on the right? (Currently steel beams only)

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
What's the building being made on the right? (Currently steel beams only)
That's the entrance to the station from the Bay Street bridge. You can see it in the background of this rendering:

Hamilton's James Street North GO Station - Final Rendering by Metrolinx, on Flickr

There will be a small walkway connecting that building to the sidewalk of the Bay Street bridge, just like this one on the MacNab Street bridge:

Source

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 4:39 PM

Ah okay thanks. I wasn't aware that there was another entrance/bridge being built on that side

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 5:50 PM

So what exactly do they plan on having completed in time for the Pan Ams?

Looks like it'll be the tracks, get off the train and take some temporary scaffolding stairs to bay street lol.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 8:05 PM
Hammer'd

Pretty sure that'll be about it. The Macnab stairs might be finished in time but obviously the Bay stairs won't be. Probably only one track where the platform is being constructed currently.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 11:44 PM

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeIsThomas View Post
That's one h*ll of a retaining wall. Love it.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2015, 5:21 PM

Has there been any confirmation yet of service after the Pan Ams? Seems like we're getting pretty close.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2015, 4:31 PM

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 4:27 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Is this to be done by PanAm?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Is this to be done by PanAm?
"operational" by the Pan Ams. Aka a track and platform. Doubt anything else is completed. But you never know, exactly 100 days till the games. Over 3 months.

EDIT: made a mistake exactly 100 days to the parapan am games. Pan ams are couple weeks before.

Last edited by king10; Apr 29, 2015 at 10:53 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 10:40 PM
Hammer'd

Miracles do happen but the province is in charge of both the stadium and the station, and we see how the stadium turned out. As I posted before, I'm expecting one platform and track, a stairway, a temporary ticket trailer and some slapped together presto machines on the platform.

Realistically though I don't think anything more than that is needed for just the Pan-Am games. The majority of people coming to Hamilton for events will probably just drive anyway instead of taking a train from Toronto and then local transit that they're not familiar with or a shuttle bus to THF.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Realistically though I don't think anything more than that is needed for just the Pan-Am games. The majority of people coming to Hamilton for events will probably just drive anyway instead of taking a train from Toronto and then local transit that they're not familiar with or a shuttle bus to THF.
That's kind of embarrassing as it is. Train dropping off people from Toronto to a very barebones and unfinished station, where they'll then have to take local transit to get to the actual stadium. Doesn't sound all that enticing.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
That's kind of embarrassing as it is. Train dropping off people from Toronto to a very barebones and unfinished station, where they'll then have to take local transit to get to the actual stadium. Doesn't sound all that enticing.
The plan was always to take local transit to the stadium. Did they expect a limo to pick them up lol. If you take the UP express into union you still need to take public transit to other sporting venues. Maple leaf gardens, bmo field.

It wouldve been nice to be completed on time. But it is what it is. Construction of a new multi million dollar go station isnt emabrassing IMO. Some of these countries that have hosted the pan am games no doubt have much more embarrasing things to hide than an under construction train station.

Not to mention ppl from toronto know a thing or two about train station construction... Union station and front street has been under construction for years. Im sure they'll sympathize with us.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2015, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
The plan was always to take local transit to the stadium. Did they expect a limo to pick them up lol. If you take the UP express into union you still need to take public transit to other sporting venues. Maple leaf gardens, bmo field.
There's a difference between taking local public transit to the events and taking a 75 minute train ride to another city and THEN having to still take that cities local transit to get to the event. I know a few Torontonians who expressed some interest in the soccer games and were actually turned off when they found out the train didn't take them straight to the stadium. It may not seem like a big deal to you - but it does annoy people.

Quote:
Not to mention ppl from toronto know a thing or two about train station construction... Union station and front street has been under construction for years. Im sure they'll sympathize with us.
Except Union Station's construction is huge and happening while still trying to serve 250,000 passengers a day - so it was a necessary long-term pain and is totally understandable. . This James North station is very small scale without the constraints and should've been fully completed by the games since we knew well in advance that we were going to host some games. Again, it may not seem like a big deal to you - but outsiders will have a negative perception.

You're right, it is what it is - and we really can't do anything about it now. Just saying that these things will put the city in a bad light. I won't even start on the parking location for the stadium (if it's still going to be where I last heard).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton