HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I didn't forget because I didn't know in the first place... I was on vacation on the other side of the globe when you posted that.
Wasn't meant as an insult, more of a rhetorical statement. What did you think of the back story?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 4:40 PM

^ Interesting story, thanks for posting the link. What can I say, it's just absolutely dripping with NCAA hypocrisy. It's the sports league where everyone is allowed to make loads of money except the actual athletes.

I didn't know he was such a high profile guy to the point where the CFL would truck him in to do a vlog about the LDC. They really should have brought him to Winnipeg for the Banjo Bowl instead, though... it's a much better experience

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I didn't know he was such a high profile guy to the point where the CFL would truck him in to do a vlog about the LDC.
I'm not sure how that came about. I don't know how serious he was saying he could play in the league, I doubt it. Second string American college kickers aren't in demand in the CFL. Maybe he contacted the Riders and they just showed him a good time.

I posted another story about a guy from a kicking school who got the royal treatment and there was also some annoying "gymnastic" couple, the proper name for what they did escapes me who got the tour in Calgary was it?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 6:00 PM

Some background of one of the ownership group

Richard Butts resigns as Halifax’s CAO, heads to Clayton Developments
REMO ZACCAGNA thechronicleherald.ca December 9, 2015

Halifax’s top bureaucrat is heading to the private sector.

In a surprise move, Richard Butts, Halifax Regional Municipality’s chief administrative officer since 2011, announced he is stepping down from his position next month to take on a new role as president of Clayton Developments Ltd.

The hiring of Butts is the result of a national executive search by an independent recruiter and came together quickly, Hawker said.

“We just think that we’ll be in good hands with him. Clayton has built a strong foundation of excellent communities, and we’re hoping that Richard will help us keep doing that.”

Butts, who headed the city’s top-earners list, was paid $343,000 in the fiscal year that ended March 31. City spokesman Breton Murphy confirmed that Butts will not receive a severance package of any sort but will be paid as per usual during the one-month transition period.

Before becoming Halifax’s chief administrative officer, Butts was Toronto’s deputy city manager for four years and was also involved with Toronto’s solid waste management for several years.

Mayor Mike Savage said Butts brought “financial discipline to the decisions the city has made,” and he is surprised, though not shocked, to see him leave.

“I wasn’t expecting it at this point in time,” Savage said in an interview. “I know he’s sought after, both by other municipalities and obviously by the private sector.

“CAOs don’t last forever in municipalities. He’s been here about five years. We know that other cities have been after him, and he has experience in the private sector as well, so we knew that people would be coming after him.”

The mayor said he had no concerns of any perceived conflict of interest that may arise from the city’s top bureaucrat moving to take over one of Halifax’s biggest development companies, which has spent billions in residential projects that include the Parks of West Bedford and Portland Hills

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 6:09 PM

Halifax hopes for CFL team riding high
Terry Jones Edmonton Sun November 22, 2017

Randy Ambrosie knows it’s going to be as big a part of the Grey Cup conversation here this week as the game itself. It already is.

The new “Git ‘er Done” commissioner of the Canadian Football League took the Grey Cup to Parliament Hill here on Tuesday to kick off the 105th celebration of Canadiana with the topic of finally having potential owners surface for a Halifax team to make it a coast-to-coast league on the minds of arriving fans.

“I haven’t gone anywhere where it hasn’t come up. It’s almost become like it’s become part of the national psyche now to get that 10th team, that last piece of the puzzle to make it a coast-to-coast league,” Ambrosie said here as he began his nonstop schedule of Grey Cup Week appearances.

“I’m hoping this energy we’re feeling will help move the project forward. I believe with things like this that it either has momentum or inertia and, right now, this has a lot of momentum.”

You need two things to start a team: 1. An owner; 2. A stadium.

Ambrosie recently announced there were owners.

The bid group is led by two former executives of the Arizona Coyotes, Anthony LeBlanc and Gary Drummond, local businessman Bruce Bowser of AMJ Campbell Van Lines and Richard Butts, president of Clayton Developments and former CAO of the Halifax Regional Municipality.

“It’s a very creditable group of people with the financial wherewithal to do this,” said Ambrosie. “The big question, of course, is the stadium. But I’ll give the different levels of government credit. They recognize this is more than about football. It’s about opening a part of our country known for world-class hospitality to play host to any number of world-class events.”

Ambrosie has already told John Ryerson that he intends to visit the 10th Atlantic Schooners East Coast Kitchen Party this weekend.

Ryerson has spent about $100,000 of his own money giving the nonexistent Atlantic Schooners – Canada’s 10th CFL Team, Still Undefeated – a party place at Grey Cup along with the Spirit of Edmonton, Riderville, Touchdown Manitoba and the like.

The Schooners even have their own logo, an “A” in the shape of sails on four waves, one representing each Atlantic province.

“The excitement is huge in Ottawa. I’ve been here for four days and we’re already confident we’ll sell out the (capacity 700) ballroom in the Delta Hotel.”

The Atlantic Schooners party is scheduled for Friday and Saturday and features a Celtic band and lobster rolls galore.

This year it’s more than a curiosity. This year it’s relevant.

Ryerson believes fans are going to flood the room to share hope, excitement and enthusiasm and enjoy “sociables” toasting the, oh, say 2022 Halifax Grey Cup.

Now that’s putting the sulky waaaaaay ahead of the harness horse, but already it’s become a movement at the Grey Cup and the party hasn’t even started yet.

The Schooners’Grey Cup party idea was inspired by Saskatchewan in that Ryerson was a Maritime native who moved west and lived 16 years in Regina.

“I became a Rider season ticket holder. I married my wife from Saskatoon. Both of our kids were born in Saskatchewan. In the early ’90s I moved back to Moncton and there was no CFL football. I missed it so much. That was kind of the inspiration.”

Old Posted Nov 22, 2017, 10:02 PM

A beer with Randy Ambrosie: CFL commish talks concussions, Halifax, Johnny Manziel, BTO and more
Tim Baines, Postmedia Ottawa Sun November 22, 2017

Nearly five months into his job as the commissioner of the Canadian Football League, Randy Ambrosie has settled in nicely.

In Ottawa for Grey Cup Week, Ambrosie is breathing it all in – and loving it.

A second-overall draft pick of the Calgary Stampeders in 1985, Ambrosie, an offensive lineman, played nine seasons in the CFL, winning a Grey Cup in 1993 with the Edmonton Eskimos. After five knee surgeries, he walked away. After two years as secretary of the CFL Players Association, he began a hugely successful career in the world of finances. The CFL wisely chose the 54-year-old Ambrosie as its new commissioner in late June.

Turns out he’s a helluva guy, about as down to earth as they come. He’s funny, with a self-deprecating sense of humour. And he sure seems like a straight shooter, a guy who’s willing to get his hands dirty to make something happen.

Postmedia wanted a different format than the standard 1-on-1 Q and A session – the league was asked if Ambrosie would sit down over a beer and discuss a wide variety of topics. Turns out he not only likes to sip on a cold beer, he’s got plenty of insight into where the CFL has been and where it could go. Here’s what the commissioner had to say, sitting at The Keg Steakhouse on York St. in Ottawa:

Q: Talk about CFL expansion, with Halifax indicating strong interest in being the league’s 10th team. Where is that at?
A: We’ve had conversation with a really strong group. What makes them interesting is they’re experienced in sport, they have significantly deep pockets and they have strong local representation in the Atlantic region – those are important factors. A 10th team, it’s the thing the Canadian Football League has talked about forever. The big question is the stadium. I’m optimistic, but I recognize there are some big hurdles that have to be overcome. The 10th team is a fantastic idea and we should make it happen. But we’re going to be pragmatic about it. The business model has to be good for the Canadian Football League. This can’t be a case of wanting it so badly we’re willing to do anything to get it. What the Redblacks have done for us is create a new paradigm, a business model with an entire ecosystem around that football stadium. There are fantastic lessons to be learned from what the Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group did.

Q: How realistic is an expansion franchise happening in Atlantic Canada?
A: It would be nice. If wishing only made it so. This will take some time. But these are really cool people. They’re smart, they’re thoughtful, they’re experienced. And I think they’re also being respectful of the political process out East. This will not be a team that belongs to a city, this will be a team that belongs to an entire region, it would be embraced by the entirety of the Atlantic region. Much as it is not the Regina Roughriders, it is the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

Q: Is Halifax the obvious location or is that option still open?
A: It’s ultimately not a decision for me to make personally. The group that’s looking at it has to study those markets. Moncton’s long been talked about as another great choice. The last thing this league wants is something that can’t be sustaining. We’ll put them through the wringer, we’ve talked to them about a rigorous due diligence process and frankly I think they’re excited about that because they know that we care about their success as well.

Q: Favourite Ottawa memory?
A: I had five holding penalties here in one game. When I think of Ottawa, I think about those five holding penalties and (Coach) Bob O’Billovich yelling at me after the game.

Q: Music on your playlist?
A: I’m a classic rock guy. You’ll find a combination of Bachman-Turner Overdrive, Guess Who, AC/DC. When I turn music on, I will listen to Taking Care of Business every time, that was kind of our anthem back in the day. I fancied myself a budding guitarist. There were two songs I tried to learn how to play – Smoke on the Water and Taking Care of Business. I thought if I could play those two things, life would be good. But I had these big clompy hands. My fingers don’t bend so I have some dexterity challenges with my hands being so beat up. I get a buzz and I think I’m going to try to do it – play guitar. Then I buy the guitar and don’t do it. My wife has a garage sale and it gets sold.

Q: How about playing the drums instead?
A: I’ve been married for 31 years, I married the love of my life (Barb). She’s my best friend. I love her as much today as I ever have in my life. But (playing the drums) would be cause for her to reconsider.

Q: What is it that makes your relationship so successful and special?
A: I really am married to my very best friend and I have a tremendous respect for her. I think that’s the thing relationships sometimes miss – you have to respect the other person. You can disagree when you respect somebody, but it’s hard to disagree if you don’t respect them.

Q: Does your wife have a nickname for you?
A: Let’s see … “Hey, You” … where would you like to start?

Q: How would you describe yourself and how would your wife describe you? Is it the same thing?
A: Probably the same. We were sitting with somebody and they asked my daughter if I was this gigantically optimistic guy. Samantha said, ‘Yeah, that’s my dad.’ I have to work hard for it, but my family – Barb and my three girls – the way life has unfolded, I feel so blessed. I try to wear the smile of someone who has been that fortunate.

Q: The perception is you’re a man of the people, is that something you strive to be?
A: Something I learned in my business career is you have to be who you are. You have to be authentic. People see through the pretense and the false identity and I don’t want to do that. I have built most of my success on the fact I like people and I’m willing to spend time getting to know them and understand their point of view. I find a way to take what they’ve taught me and use it to further the cause. My wife says my mom was an ordinary person living an extraordinary life. It’s because my mom loved everybody she met and she found a way to connect. She was a great listener. I’ve tried to use that great listening skill that I learned from my mom to my advantage.

Q: What’s this like for you, being commissioner of a league you have long had a passion for?
A: I feel totally re-energized. I loved my life in financial services. I worked for and with amazing people. Here I am in football. I wake up every day wearing that crap-eating grin, I feel that way. I’m surrounded at the league office by this vibrant group of people that love the game. They’re always smiling. So I figure, smile back and be authentic. I try to treat them all the same way I’d want a boss to treat my daughters. I’d want the boss to be inspiring, I’d want the boss to challenge them to be more than they are in the moment. I want to be a person who’s encouraging of them to reach their dreams.

Q: Food you can’t live without?
A: You don’t get to be this big skipping meals. I like it all. My wife, daughters and I love sushi. I love a good hamburger. I’ve got very broad tastes in food, I’m a foodie.

Q: Favourite Grey Cup memory?
A: Sitting in the locker room after we won in 1993, it was quiet. I didn’t want to take my stuff off because I knew that was the last time I was going to get out of my gear. Ron Lancaster came over and sat next to me at my locker. That moment will live in my memory forever.

Q: What was your playing weight?
A: I played one year at almost 290 lbs., that was too heavy for me. I played as light as about 255, especially after I got hurt. My body just couldn’t take all the weight so I got slim toward the end. I played a more cerebral game. I never tried to antagonize anybody, I would go the other way. After the first play, I’d say to the guy, ‘You married?’ I figured if I could just get him talking, I wouldn’t be such a bad guy. The last thing I wanted was to make him mad because nine times out of 10 he could probably fold me up and put me in his back pocket.

Q: Let’s talk about concussions. What’s your position?
A: On the first day I was announced as the new commissioner, I made a promise not only to the media in the room, but to myself, that I would study this question. A concussion is brain trauma. The reason we paid so much attention to a protocol that allows us to have a spotter in our command centre specifically looking for players in distress – why we put in place world-class procedures to watch for players in distress and the protocols for bringing them back – is because we realize concussions are a brain trauma. The part that is not clear is this cause and effect. I have met with scientists, I’ve met with doctors. You look at the Berlin report, the collection of some of the most thoughtful scientists in the world on the issue of CTE – when they’re asked about the connection between concussions and CTE, they’re saying it’s unclear. I’ve met with Dr. Lili-Naz Hazrati, a world-class Canadian scientist/doctor, a couple of times and she says what’s confusing is when you get a patient who never played sports and to the best of their family’s knowledge never had a concussion – and has the CTE protein on the brain. We don’t know the cause and effect. This is not me being defensive and it’s not me living in a fool’s paradise – I’m going to continue to read every report and meet with scientists. I won’t stop my pursuit of looking after the players. This year, in an unprecedented way, we got together with our PA (Players Association). We said, ‘What if we just reduce the amount of contact during the regular season?’ And in a move that I think took the professional sports world by surprise, we eliminated padded practices. I’m going to look for every way I can to make this game safer for our players. I don’t like fining our players, I don’t like the discipline part. But on headshots – that stuff I’m going to be tough on. I have to find a way to convince our players to take that part of our game out. If I do that and I keep studying the question, keep pursuing the truth, we’ll come to the right place over a period of time.

Q: You were a player, you can relate to the physical nature of the game?
A: The game is tough. Somebody said it’s a contact sport. No, no – it’s a collision sport. But that doesn’t mean it can’t be better. Cars weren’t unsafe in the 1960s, but we keep finding ways to make them safer – warning sensors, lane departure warnings, airbags. I’m hoping to find a way to be a leader in all of pro sports in making the game as safe as it can be.

Q: Were you ever diagnosed with a concussion?
A: Once. At the University of Manitoba. I was in my second or third season. You remember back in those days, that was the dark room, don’t go to sleep.

Q: What does the league do about quarterback Johnny Manziel (who, nearly two years ago, was accused of threatening and hitting a former girlfriend)?
A: We have to involve experts. We have to stop believing that all of us who love the game of football know enough about broader issues to make right judgements on players with a history. I think we’ve introduced a new mindset around the introduction of expert advice to help guide us in decisions on players with a past.

Q: Did you chat with Johnny?
A: Yes. I liked him. He’s a great football guy. If you asked me alone to make a decision, I sat with a charming guy who’s full of passion and energy. Through an unsophisticated and untrained lens, I thought, ‘Wow, I’d want this guy on the field in a heartbeat.’ That’s the football Randy. The pragmatic, practical business guy said, ‘Wait a minute, there are some experts we could introduce into this process where we could understand him more scientifically and objectively. That’s what I’ve asked Johnny Manziel to do for us. If and when we bring a player into our game, I want to say to the fans and the community that we’ve done our work in a thoughtful way.

Q: Do the Tiger-Cats need an OK from you to sign Manziel?
A: Yes

Q: You are going to have a schedule change next year, you’ve expanded the season by a week – each team will get three byes – why?
A: Without that 21st week, you ended up with what Ottawa faced this year – three games in 11 days. I don’t agree with it. In my seventh, eighth and ninth seasons, I could not have done it. By that third game, I would have looked at Ron Lancaster and said, ‘Seriously, coach? Look at me, I’m not capable of suiting up for that third game.’ Your body gets worn down. Your body is tired. When your body is tired, it’s more susceptible to injury. The schedule will be way better in 2018. We’re going to try to eliminate the fast turnarounds. These things are about looking after my guys, looking after my players.

Q: You made an in-season change, you limited the number of coach challenges to one. How did that work?
A: I’m happy with it, with a caveat. I’m happy because it was a victory for common sense, which, as somebody famously noted, is surprisingly uncommon. I know I also need to work with our football people, coaches and GMs to revisit that, ‘Did we get it right?’ I can’t tell you the number of high-fives and handshakes I’ve gotten where people have said, ‘Thank you commissioner for doing what was right for the game.’ It’s time for me to spend serious time with coaches and GMs to get their feedback as well.

Q: Anything else on your personal wishlist, things you’d like to change?’
A: In the next five years, I want this game to set reasonable but aggressive targets for growth. I want to set revenue growth targets, I want to set attendance growth targets, I want to set broadcast growth targets. I want our players to be in a league that is on the move and marching forward. We’re going to have two seasons in the CFL from now on – football season and business season. Football season will end Sunday night at about 9:30 (EST). Business season starts Monday at 8 a.m. I use this word ‘co-opetition.’ We compete like crazy sideline to sideline, but we co-operate with each other in the name of a better Canadian Football League.

Q: Is this your dream job?
A: I’m loving every moment of it. We’re sitting here, Having a Beer with the Commissioner, tell me that isn’t a cool thing. I feel like I’m the luckiest guy in the country. I spent time with the Prime Minister (Tuesday). For me, that was an honour. But the thing is, I think I’ve got a better job than he does.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
There's every reason to think they'll be good but audiences are dropping for all sports, and during their run, before now coming back to earth, the Jays were getting huge numbers.

I say it all the time, it's the GTA that drives the big numbers not the 1 million entire man/woman/child population of Saskatchewan
Drives the big numbers for the Grey Cup or CFL regular season games. For regular season games in 2016 at least the top-3 rated teams on TV were the Riders, Bombers and Lions. I'm pretty sure with regards to Grey Cups GTA does not drive the big numbers. The 2012 Grey Cup tv ratings were largely derived from it being a culmination of the 100th anniversary. Besides they have been recent Grey Cups with higher ratings than those involving Toronto.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Drives the big numbers for the Grey Cup or CFL regular season games. For regular season games in 2016 at least the top-3 rated teams on TV were the Riders, Bombers and Lions. I'm pretty sure with regards to Grey Cups GTA does not drive the big numbers. The 2012 Grey Cup tv ratings were largely derived from it being a culmination of the 100th anniversary. Besides they have been recent Grey Cups with higher ratings than those involving Toronto.
I'm not talking about a Toronto team being involved (although it surely must help) I'm talking about people in the GTA being engaged enough to watch or not to watch. When the Jays had a big ratings drop this season it likely wasn't a huge number of the ROC stopped watching it would be more likely that a large number of the 6 million in the GTA were less interested. When I make that statement I am talking about that huge number, not a Toronto team itself, although they could go hand in hand.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 3:03 PM

^^^ hmmm..I wonder why you think The Blues Jays ratings would only drop in Toronto and not in the rest of the country.

Anyway, so... with the Argos & Stamps in the Grey Cup Final this coming weekend I wonder which team is going to be more suited to the weather conditions forecast for Ottawa on Sunday. My guess is that Argos will be more conditioned for it.

The Western Final last week was +8°C in Calgary, Eastern Final was around the freezing mark in Toronto.

At a Ottawa forecast high Sunday of -3°C and snow, looks like this will be one of the coldest Grey Cup games in a decade.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
^^^ hmmm..I wonder why you think The Blues Jays ratings would only drop in Toronto and not in the rest of the country.

Anyway, so... with the Argos & Stamps in the Grey Cup Final this coming weekend I wonder which team is going to be more suited to the weather conditions forecast for Ottawa on Sunday. My guess is that Argos will be more conditioned for it.

The Western Final last week was +8°C in Calgary, Eastern Final was around the freezing mark in Toronto.

At a Ottawa forecast high Sunday of -3°C and snow, looks like this will be one of the coldest Grey Cup games in a decade.
The current forecast is -2 but wind may be a consideration given that there will be a cold front moving through overnight Saturday, but I heard that it may calm down by game time.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2017, 9:56 PM

-2C is nothing to worry about compared to past Grey Cup games. 2013 was what, -15C?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 2:05 AM

Commish Ambrosie not afraid to think big
Dave Naylor TSN.ca November 23 2017

When Randy Ambrosie steps onto the podium Friday morning of Grey Cup week for the annual state of the league address, it’s going to be obvious that this Canadian Football League commissioner is a little different than those who have preceded him.

Which isn’t so much meant to besmirch any of the CFL commissioners who’ve held office over the past quarter of a century as it is to suggest that the league’s board of governors may have finally found a leader who they are willing to give their unqualified trust.

As anyone who has followed the CFL over that time can attest, that has been an issue for this league. Which is why the CFL has seen eight commissioners come and go over the same span that Gary Bettman has been atop the National Hockey League.

Coming straight out of a successful career in the financial industry, the 54-year-old Winnipeg native doesn’t need the job, neither for the money nor the resume. Which is only the first thing that makes him unique, but hardly the last.

Being CFL commissioner has long been considered one of the toughest jobs in professional sports.

Commissioner of the league that isn’t always sure what it wants to be, commissioner of the league where occasional rogue owners have been the norm, where public and private ownership, home grown players and imports, football guys and business interest have traditionally come to the table clutching their self-interests as if it were part of a life-and-death struggle.

Of course, it’s tough to make stakeholders see the big picture when you don’t have their full confidence, an obstacle almost every commissioner of the past quarter century has faced to some degree.

Ambrosie, however, arrived at this positon this summer with two things his predecessors did not have: a business resume that stands up to that of those who employ him and an understanding of the game and business of professional football from his days as a player.

For better or worse, previous CFL commissioners have mostly operated with various degrees of cautiousness, which made it often seem as though they didn’t quite have the courage of their convictions.

That seemed to stem largely from the fact they arrived at their jobs as outsiders to both the CFL as a sport and a business, people who had little or no engagement with the Canadian Football League before being handed the league’s top job.

And that’s also where Ambrosie is different.

He remembers the bad old days of the CFL, entering the league as the second overall draft pick by the Calgary Stampeders and them immediately being approached to buy season tickets to help “save our Stamps.”

He played a game in Montreal’s Olympic Stadium when security guards outnumbered fans. And in his last season, he played at Hornet Field in Sacramento, Calif., on the leading edge of the league’s abysmal attempt at U.S. expansion.

Ambrosie isn’t afraid to think big, to imagine a league that stretches from Vancouver to Halifax, has a strong presence in Southern Ontario (where he has lived since 1997) and engages the wave of new Canadians who right now rarely turn up in CFL stadiums.

He wants to build a business model that can be its foundation across the league, recognizing regional differences but based on principles that work in each and every market.

He wants to concentrate less on how to divide the pie and more on how to grow it, whether that means finding ways to reach the younger generation or targeting new Canadians.

Can one person make that much of a difference?

Consider, if you will, his first four months on the job as CFL commissioner.

Ambrosie engineered a mid-season rule change that limited teams to one challenge per game in response to games that were unreasonably dragging on, worked with the players association to eliminate padded practices and condensed schedules that had teams sometimes playing three games in as little as 17 days. He sped up the league’s “Diversity is Strength” campaign to make a statement in response to what happened in Martinsville, Va., forced the Hamilton Tiger-Cats to withdraw a job offer to former Baylor University head coach Art Briles and found a way to pump the brakes on Johnny Manziel so that the former NFL bad boy would have to prove he deserved a chance in the CFL.

Oh, and he’s helped usher in what appears to be an honest-to-goodness credible effort at putting in place what he call the missing piece of the puzzle with a franchise in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Not bad for a guy who didn’t take office until the season began, when it would have been convenient to say he was going to use the season to step back and learn before making any real decisions.

And what do his bosses think of someone who’s acted so boldly, so quickly.

Apparently they love him. Which is why, as he gets set to begin what he calls the “business season,” there is palpable excitement across the league about the kinds of things he’s prepared to do.

It’s been a long time since a commissioner walked out of his office for the very last time, leaving behind a league that was substantially different than the one he inherited.

The 16th commissioner of the CFL, just months on the job, has already given the impression he intends to do just that. ​

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
The current forecast is -2 but wind may be a consideration given that there will be a cold front moving through overnight Saturday, but I heard that it may calm down by game time.
Yes, hopefully the wind is calm during game time in Ottawa so that there isn't a windchill factor as well There is no wind shielding and the seating stands aren't that large (Smallest Grey Cup attendance since Grey Cup held in Ottawa in the 1967)
The last time Regina had Grey Cup in 2013 it was only a few degrees above freezing but thankfully there was virtually no wind that evening.

Last edited by SaskScraper; Nov 24, 2017 at 5:25 AM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
-2C is nothing to worry about compared to past Grey Cup games. 2013 was what, -15C?
Nope, nice try though, but it was only 20C warmer than that..

Interestingly enough, if the Grey Cup had been played in some parts of Saskatchewan just yesterday, it would have been the warmest Grey Cup in Canadian history.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 3:09 PM

My comment was not meant to be a jab at Regina, in fact I didn't even remember that Regina held the Grey Cup game in 2013. But I somewhat remember a Grey Cup game that took place in the middle of a cold snap in that last 4-5 years, somewhere on the Prairies. But now that I am thinking about it, it could have been the week leading to the Grey Cup that was cold but not the actual game day.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 3:18 PM

I seem to remember Grey Cup games in Winnipeg and Calgary when it was really cold. This is a while back.

I was at the Grey Cup in 1988 here in Ottawa and it was +16C, a miracle for late November. That was the year when local organizers said that it would take an earthquake to prevent the Grey Cup from being held in Ottawa and low and behold, on Friday evening before the game, there was a significant earthquake in Ottawa, big enough that for a few seconds, I was considering fleeing my house. This all came up because of the disastrous 'Super Season 88' when I think the Rough Riders won 2 games. The game sold out with 50,000+ in attendance and was a great success despite the state of Rough Rider franchise that was officially regarded as North America's worst pro sports franchise for the decade of the 1980's. Little did they know, that the 1990's would be worse with the horrific first round of the Gliebermans and the totally absent Horn Chen as owners.

Last edited by lrt's friend; Nov 24, 2017 at 3:32 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 3:25 PM

Commisioner's State of the League Address is on. He really talks in specifics which is great to hear. Very engaging speaker, people listening intently. One thing he wants to implement is a central ticketing system. Agrees that the Calgary stadium needs to be replaced.

Great start to the speech by taking a selfie of him and the crowd and ending it (before taking questions) by hoping for a power failure,

Madani, as usual, being an asshole no surprise there

And who is that blonde chick, yowza

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I seem to remember Grey Cup games in Winnipeg and Calgary when it was really cold. This is a while back.

I was at the Grey Cup in 1988 here in Ottawa and it was +16C, a miracle for late November. That was the year when local organizers said that it would take an earthquake to prevent the Grey Cup from being held in Ottawa and low and behold, on Friday evening before the game, there was a significant earthquake in Ottawa, big enough that for a few seconds, I was considering fleeing my house. This all came up because of the disastrous 'Super Season 88' when I think the Rough Riders won 2 games. The game sold out with 50,000+ in attendance and was a great success despite the state of Rough Rider franchise that was official regarded as North America's worst sports franchise for the decade of the 1980's. Little did they know, that the 1990's would be worse with the horrific first round of the Gliebermans and the totally absent Horn Chen as owners.
The only really chilly Cups I remember were ones that I was at... Winnipeg 1991 and Edmonton 1997. Winnipeg 2015 was cold but not bone chilling. Then there were other weird weather days that weren't necessarily freezing but had something else going on (Regina 1995 windy as hell, Hamilton 1996 snowstorm).

Incidentally, Ottawa has a track record of really supporting Grey Cups well. That's 3 in a row that have sold right out and have been lauded for good festival atmosphere (88, 04, 17) despite the fact that for those first two, the team was a mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Commisioner's State of the League Address is on. He really talks in specifics which is great to hear. Very engaging speaker, people listening intently. One thing he wants to implement is a central ticketing system. Agrees that the Calgary stadium needs to be replaced.

Great start to the speech by taking a selfie of him and the crowd and ending it (before taking questions) by hoping for a power failure,

Madani, as usual, being an asshole no surprise there
Nice. As a former player and a current accomplished businessman, Ambrosie just drips credibility. I know it's still early, but at this point it's looking like the CFL made a great hire.

What is the deal with Madani anyway? Is he basically just a hitman for Sportsnet who covers the league only so he can trumpet bad news he stumbles across?

I remember back in the early/mid 90s when Paul Godfrey was chasing a NFL franchise for Toronto, it used to be various hacks in the Toronto Sun who played that role. Now it's Madani.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 3:38 PM

I am pretty sure the game sold out in 1967 as well, the previous time that Lansdowne Park had a major renovation. That was at the height of the Russ Jackson era and there was great disappointment when Hamilton won the Eastern Final. The 60s were the era of great rivalry between the Rough Riders and Ti-Cats.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2017, 4:08 PM

On Demand: Rewatch Randy Ambrosie’s first State of the League Address
Starts at about the 4 minute mark

CFL Commissioner Randy Ambrosie answers the media at the annual State of the League address.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada