HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
It was very popular dump then.
I will have to agree here. The Rumpus Room was obviously and intentionally kitschy, but if that makes it a "dump" I seriously question your taste or ability to have fun.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 7:23 AM

I'd much rather have condos than yet another vancouver special that some idiot decided to convert into a restaurant that serves deep fried pickles.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
I will have to agree here. The Rumpus Room was obviously and intentionally kitschy, but if that makes it a "dump" I seriously question your taste or ability to have fun.
I wasn't the one who termed it a "dump" that was Osirisboy.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 3:26 PM

Hahaha conversely I could turn around and seriously question your ability to have fun if it only takes you being surrounded by a bunch of cluttered junk.

Or perhaps we could be more constructive and agree that people have different tastes. For me, filling a space filled with ironic garbage just for the sake of it is not "fun". Classic hipster nonsense

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 4:16 PM

I get what rumpus room was going after with their theme, but that doesn't ignore the fact that the food was just awful IMO. (service was nothing to write home about either)

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 11:13 PM
Blazed Member - Citygater

A&W is taking the ex-McDonanalds spot at the Train Station Pacific Central on Main.

I was thinking for a while that it would have been a good Burger King location .... but I guess not. deff a great spot

"orange vested guy" - towerguy3

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
A&W is taking the ex-McDonanalds spot at the Train Station Pacific Central on Main.

I was thinking for a while that it would have been a good Burger King location .... but I guess not. deff a great spot
McDonalds was kicked out for being too low brow for them, they wanted something a little "classier", I know they were pushing hard for Triple O's and A&W, seems like they got their wish.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 2:24 AM

On the fast food burger front...

A co-worker says that Triple O's has opened in the CBC Building.

https://www.tripleos.com/new-triple-...s-at-cbc-radio

A lot of small signs...
Who chooses signage in this town?
A long sign with words would fit the spandrel so much better.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 2:33 AM
More Towers

Last edited by spm2013; Nov 16, 2014 at 8:10 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
McDonalds was kicked out for being too low brow for them, they wanted something a little "classier", I know they were pushing hard for Triple O's and A&W, seems like they got their wish.
Nothing says "classy" like Chubby Chicken.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 6:27 PM

White Spot is "coming soon" (a little bird told me the building should be ready in August) to the currently under renovation 411 Dunsmuir, the sign placement suggests it will be on the corner closest to the Homer St. intersection. That is only two blocks from Triple O's in the CBC building.

411 Dunsmuir as it stands currently from the Downtown Vancouver Updates thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Conga View Post
March 13

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 6:59 PM

I have never been to Triple-O's. Is it like fast food version of White Spot?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 7:50 PM

^Yup, exactly.

In some good news, dine out had another record breaking year:

Quote:
ANOTHER RECORD-BREAKING YEAR FOR TOURISM VANCOUVER’S DINE OUT VANCOUVER FESTIVAL
Vancouver, BC (March 19, 2014)

Contributing an estimated $3.9 million to the local economy, the 2014 Dine Out Vancouver Festival continued to show growth and expansion with a record-setting number of participating restaurants, increased bookings and more culinary event attendance than ever before. After yet another successful year, it’s no wonder the Georgia Straight awarded Dine Out a Golden Plate Award for "Best Food Festival/Event" for the second time in a row.

During the 12th anniversary of Canada’s largest restaurant festival, more than 80,000* diners sampled, sipped and devoured their way through 263 restaurants in and around downtown Vancouver. Thousands more took part in a menu of inventive culinary experiences that included a sushi-inspired film fest, an al fresco lunchtime fiesta with 23 street food carts and a brand-new kickoff event that featured 50 of Vancouver’s top chefs creating a communal soup for the public.

Every story starts with a reservation – and at the end of every Dine Out, the numbers tell the story:

• 263 – number of participating restaurants
• 31 – total number of unique culinary events and experiences
• 500+ – number of free soup samples dished out to the public at the Chef Soup
Experiment
• 4.4* – percentage increase in restaurant reservations over last year’s festival
• 2.2 million – total number of Dine Out menu views
• 6.3 million – total number of page views at dineoutvancouver.com
• 80,317* – total number of diners seated
• 18,000+ – estimated number of people served over five days at Street Food City III
(double the number that attended last year’s event)

"For the past dozen years, Dine Out Vancouver Festival has successfully brought families, friends and visitors together to celebrate Vancouver’s exciting array of local food and dining offerings," said Mayor Gregor Robertson. "The festival’s ongoing success and growth continues to make it an even stronger showcase of Vancouver’s passion for food and our vibrant character as a city."

"Dine Out gets better every year, and we’ve now come to expect that each year’s festival will top the last," said Lucas Pavan, festival coordinator. "In addition to providing a needed financial boost to Vancouver restaurants during a slower time of the year, Dine Out encourages local chefs, restaurateurs and culinary leaders to take risks and think outside the pot. It’s thanks to these passionate foodies that Vancouver is one of the world’s most sought out culinary destinations."

Throughout the 17 days of the festival, diners were invited to cast votes for their favourite Dine Out experiences. This year’s festival all-stars are:

Best $18 menu: Bistro 101 – Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts
Best $28 menu: Seasons in the Park
Best $38 menu: Five Sails – Pan Pacific Vancouver Hotel

Best B.C. VQA wine pairing: The Observatory – Grouse Mountain
Best B.C. craft beer pairing: Forage
Best dining experience: Siena
Best service: Federico’s Supper Club (server: Earl MacDonald)
http://vancouver.dmplocal.com/main/i...15358c8c16e87d

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 8:02 PM
More Towers

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
White Spot is "coming soon" (a little bird told me the building should be ready in August) to the currently under renovation 411 Dunsmuir, the sign placement suggests it will be on the corner closest to the Homer St. intersection. That is only two blocks from Triple O's in the CBC building.
Thanks.

Maybe that will create some activity on that stretch of Dunsmuir (marred by the back wall of the Main Post Office). 401 West Georgia, BC Hydro and VCC are nearby to provide customers (although VCC has a cafeteria deal with food prepared by culinary students, from what I hear). It might compete with the nearby Ricky's and Fat Burger at Dunsmuir & Beatty.

It's too bad the rear podium of 401 West Georgia never got a big restaurant with the potential for a very large patio.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 8:45 PM
More Towers

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 9:53 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
^Yup, exactly.

In some good news, dine out had another record breaking year:
I work at a restaurant and you could definitely tell Dine Out was a huge success. Non-stop business the entire time.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 2:33 AM
not a NIMBY

I have had the privilege of spending the last 5 weeks on Bowen Island and I wanted to share my tourist restaurant adventures in the Vancouver area.
I have been renting a house on Bowen on and off since 2009 and this visit has been the best!
I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but here is my list of places I love:

Vera's - I love this burger joint and I wish we had them in Calgary.

Joe Fortes - I have been here before for dinner and I really liked it. This time I went for lunch and it was one of the best lunches I have ever had. We both had the ling cod special and everything from service to ambience to food was perfect. One of my best friends growing up in Montreal was involved in the charming production of a NFB film about Joe Fortes which is worth watching. The rooftop patio was awesomely beautiful although we ate inside.

Pappa Roti (Robson St.) - good JJ coffee beans and yummy coffee buns - the chain is from Malaysia. Very nice modern sleek ambience and I think it would do well in Calgary.

Salmon House on the Hill, West Vancouver - I loved the modern west coast ambience of this place but the view of the city lights below is the draw. We had the seafood trio of sockeye, halibut, and prawns which was excellent. A friend in Vernon was raving about this place and now I am a raver. Highly recommended for special occasion dinners.

Pier 7, North Vancouver - I had lunch here and it was terrific looking out on Burrard Inlet. Food and service were great. I really like North Vancouver, but it seems underdeveloped and under populated compared to the rest of the Vancouver area. I guess there are big changes coming.

C Lovers - I have been to the Horseshoe Bay location and it is a great fish feed. The ambience, not so much, but it is one of my favourite places for fish and chips. I can walk to the ferry at Snug Cove sail to to C Lovers in Horseshoe Bay and then sail home. No dessert on the menu!

Artisan Eats - My favourite place on Bowen. French influenced, it is the place to go for breakfast and lunch.
I buy their bread at the Bowen General Store and they have take-out options too. Great bacon cheese burgers and fries.

Rustique Bistro - a new place on Bowen in Snug Cove. A creperie that is open for breakfast lunch and dinner. Excellent food but pricey if you have more than one item, and everything is extra. The buckwheat crepes take me back to the good old days growing up in Montreal.

My first meal in Vancouver was when I was 4 years old and my uncle took my mother and me to the Royal Vancouver Yacht Club in a Rolls Royce! I have been slumming ever since.

Last edited by Jimby; Apr 13, 2014 at 2:45 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 8:14 PM

Thanks for all the reviews, is Blue eyed Mary's still open? I used to love going there.

Also does Pappa Roti sell Malaysian/Singaporean style Roti? I haven't found a good place in Canada and I really miss it.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 8:04 AM

The Keg has it's Shangri-La Location scheduled for a Summer Opening.

http://www.kegsteakhouse.com/en/loca...r/thurlow-keg/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining