HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Mercury City Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Moscow Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 9:16 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

the reflections are extremely distorted! i agree with the ones who say that this glass is just awful!

i get that it's trying to be different and all, but please come up with something of good quality and looks good.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2010, 10:44 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma-Hamster View Post
... but here gold is associated with excessive wealth and it is gold which is considered to be cheap and gaudy.

Using real gold in cladding will be considered a cheap way to show off.
I think you need to look up the meaning of the word cheap. You are mistakenly using it as a synonym for cheesy, gauche, gaudy, tacky, tasteless and garish. In your first example you are contradicting yourself by saying excessive wealth is cheap, when perhaps you mean it is tacky. And in your second you did it again by saying real gold would be cheap when I`m sure you mean gauche. Cheap is a description of how inexpensive an object is, or it can also mean a lower quality of materials, neither of which gold (at US $1200 an ounce) is.

Gold is a highly valued metal but anything taken to excess can be gaudy. There is no need in trying to insult me by subtly implying that where I live we have a distorted and inferior viewpoint of quality of materials. Gold is valued the world over and is also considered tacky the world over when it is used to cover a bathtub or doorknob. Those values are universal and are considered nouveau-riche and gauche no matter where you live.

Apparently, I am inferring from what you are saying, is that in Russia the nouveau-riche class of entrepreneurs have ruined the beauty and desirability of real gold.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2010, 6:26 AM
Mile High City

I for one am going to reserve judgement for once the project is a little further along the way. I bet it will look pretty snazzy.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
I think you need to look up the meaning of the word cheap.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...1&t=1283519056

Quote:
cheap adj

2: gained or done with little effort
Quote:
Gold is valued the world over and is also considered tacky the world over when it is used to cover a bathtub or doorknob.
Window is an object from the same category as bathtub.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2010, 1:09 PM

Old Posted Sep 10, 2010, 8:14 PM

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 11:27 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma-Hamster View Post
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...1&t=1283519056

Window is an object from the same category as bathtub.
Traynor's right . You can't say that gold is both a sign of "cheapness" and excessive wealth . In fact , in the English vernacular nobody would consider gold "cheap" in any context . The colour , over-use as a motif , and excessive focus may make something tacky or gaudy but it doesn't make it cheap . I'm afraid you've misunderstood the definition of cheap here and , consequently , are using it erroneously .

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 9:00 PM

Old Posted Sep 12, 2010, 10:40 PM

I will reserve my opinion for when this tower has a bit more cladding, but at this point, I am concerned that this is going to look kind of tacky when completed. I like this kind of glass, but this is a very large building with a relatively flat curtain-wall (not much texture), leaving it to look very plain and quite 90's. The end-on angle of this building is going to be sick, but the flat side is going to be far too boring for a building of this scale and prominence. That being said, I quite like the RBC building in Toronto, but I think it's the shape of the tower more than the colour of the glass.

by Rick Bogacz on Flickr http://farm1.static.flickr.com/47/13...5469edccf8.jpg

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 9:55 AM

Red face Oh no...

MCT's cladding is awful, not up-to-date at all. It will make this building look very 80's and will stick out like a saw thumb! I think the designers should have gone for light blue glass, and to break the 'flat' sides up, scattered the window frames in a more random pattern to give it a more contemporary appearance. All in all I like this building, it's just a shame it looks like it should have been built 25 years ago. Also sorry for repeating the 'cladding' point made so many times previously but every time I see MCR on Moscow's diagram page I always feel strongly about the, in-your-face gold. :/

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 12:09 PM
arf

Quote:
I think you need to look up the meaning of the word cheap. You are mistakenly using it as a synonym for cheesy, gauche, gaudy, tacky, tasteless and garish. In your first example you are contradicting yourself by saying excessive wealth is cheap, when perhaps you mean it is tacky. And in your second you did it again by saying real gold would be cheap when I`m sure you mean gauche. Cheap is a description of how inexpensive an object is, or it can also mean a lower quality of materials, neither of which gold (at US $1200 an ounce) is.
Apparently, I am inferring from what you are saying, is that in Russia the nouveau-riche class of entrepreneurs have ruined the beauty and desirability of real gold.
I don't think they could ruin the desirability of real gold, but I don't think I'll take my English lessons from you either. Cheap is a synonym for gaudy and cheesy. Inexpensive is a better word to use for things that cost a little and it doesn't carry the negative baggage that cheap does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordnetweb
From wordnetweb:
# relatively low in price or charging low prices; "it would have been cheap at twice the price"; "inexpensive family restaurants"
# brassy: tastelessly showy; "a flash car"; "a flashy ring"; "garish colors"; "a gaudy costume"; "loud sport shirts"; "a meretricious yet stylish book"; "tawdry ornaments"
# bum: of very poor quality; flimsy
# embarrassingly stingy
Back on topic. I really loved the renderings and diagrams of this building. It's too bad that it may look lousy from a glass-reflection standpoint. I still have reasonable hopes. It's hard to make an opinion based on a couple of layers of glass.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 6:14 PM

Evrasia 99911

http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/parktow...1/view/240127/

13/11/10

igor

Old Posted Nov 13, 2010, 6:26 PM

i love the glazing on this one

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 8:37 PM

пробное сообщение

[IMG][/IMG]пробное сообщение

Last edited by Buildernew; Nov 21, 2010 at 8:43 PM. Reason: add fotos

Old Posted Nov 21, 2010, 8:47 PM

all these photos of Ivan Potapov

Old Posted Nov 23, 2010, 3:06 AM
The Time To Build Is Now

This building in some ways makes up for the loss of the Russia Tower.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 1:53 PM
▓▒░

This building is going to look so 80s! I for one can't wait.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2010, 7:02 PM
BROOKLYN

Thats some crazy glass

Old Posted Nov 26, 2010, 6:23 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

That'll be very reflective glass on a sunny day.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2010, 5:16 PM

It'll certainly stand out, and it's a nice change from the blue glass that we see everywhere.

The white portions will be a pain to keep clean, though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive