HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
In Newfoundland anyway, the two favorite teams by far are most definitely the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Montreal Canadiens at about a 50/50 split between the two. The minor teams I've noted from people who aren't fans of the above teams are:

-Detroit Red Wings (which may stem from back in the day with NL local cable carried CBS, ABC, and NBC feeds from Detroit as opposed to from Boston)
-Boston Bruins
-Pittsburgh Steelers (ie. they're actually just Crosby fans)
-Edmonton Oilers (people who have moved or lived for extended periods in Edmonton)
How come not Winnipeg? Your Ahl team is their because of the jets.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
I haven't met many people who's #1 team would be the Jets as they're a relatively new team. Of course with the Jets having their farm team in St. John's you'd be hard pressed to find someone who dislikes the Jets, it's more like "yeah I like the Jets, but my favorite team is definitely _________"

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 12:38 AM

Quote:
In Newfoundland anyway, the two favorite teams by far are most definitely the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Montreal Canadiens at about a 50/50 split between the two. The minor teams I've noted from people who aren't fans of the above teams are:

-Detroit Red Wings (which may stem from back in the day with NL local cable carried CBS, ABC, and NBC feeds from Detroit as opposed to from Boston)
-Boston Bruins
-Edmonton Oilers (people who have moved or lived for extended periods in Edmonton)

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktko View Post

Sorry I'm playing Madden right now, this is embarrassing

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 1:40 AM

Quote:
In Newfoundland anyway, the two favorite teams by far are most definitely the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Montreal Canadiens at about a 50/50 split between the two.
That doesn't really match what SignalHillHiker seemed to think...

Quote:
Yeah, they only care about Crosby and that's it... anything else, including the actual name of the team, who cares.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
The entire area where I grew up you were usually raised by your father to cheer for whichever team he cheered for growing up. Which back during that generation was usually either the Leafs or Canadiens (back when the Leafs won Stanley Cups). Some people grew up and chose their own teams to cheer for; but a large majority are still devout fans to their parents favorite teams. This includes me, go Leafs go!

Quote:
Yeah, they only care about Crosby and that's it... anything else, including the actual name of the team, who cares.
I had never met a Penguins fan until about 7-8 years ago. Out of the Penguins fans I do know, a large majority of them are young females

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 10:13 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:

Oh it does as far as the Canadiens go. Marty and I had this exact conversation somewhere on another thread - I forget where.

The poll found that the Montreal Canadiens are the most hated team in Atlantic Canada with 25% expressing that sentiment (that's the most hate any team in any region received).

But that's still just 25%.

If I really think about it, I don't believe the Leafs are as popular here as Marty seems to think... at least, not in St. John's. When they pulled their farm team, it was considered bad form to express support for them. But Newfoundland and Labrador really is a divided place when it comes to these sorts of things. Off the Avalon, it could be Leafs nation for all I know. Their support probably GREW when they ditched St. John's.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the Canadiens are the most popular province-wide. Boston is definitely higher than Marty guesses, though, at least in St. John's.

Edmonton is a WTF for me... I've seen more support for defunct Scottish rugby teams than the Oilers here.

If I had to guess what teams are most popular, I'd say:

1. Canadiens
2. Bruins
3. Whichever Canadian team is doing well
4. Leafs

(If I remember correctly, when we last about this, I said I thought the Leafs and Canadiens were close to tied for support at the top - but I've reconsidered as a result of offline discussions since then, lol)

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 10:18 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Winnipeg is pulling its AHL team. They want their boys closer to home in Thunder Bay. So our brief relationship is already over, really.

There's nothing against the Jets here, I assure you. It's just a new, completely unknown team here.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 10:20 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
-Boston Bruins
It used to be Detroit? What the fuck? Why? That's a world away.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 12:57 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
It used to be Detroit? What the fuck? Why? That's a world away.
For a a while a lot of Canadian cable companies used Detroit because it was easy to get a strong and consistent Detroit signal in Windsor and distribute it via satellite. In Winnipeg, there were protests and the cable companies eventually backed down and let us keep the North Dakota PBS channel, which got a large part of its funding from Winnipeg, as well as one of the North Dakota network stations.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
The poll found that the Montreal Canadiens are the most hated team in Atlantic Canada with 25% expressing that sentiment (that's the most hate any team in any region received).

But that's still just 25%.

If I really think about it, I don't believe the Leafs are as popular here as Marty seems to think... at least, not in St. John's. When they pulled their farm team, it was considered bad form to express support for them. But Newfoundland and Labrador really is a divided place when it comes to these sorts of things. Off the Avalon, it could be Leafs nation for all I know. Their support probably GREW when they ditched St. John's.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the Canadiens are the most popular province-wide. Boston is definitely higher than Marty guesses, though, at least in St. John's.

Edmonton is a WTF for me... I've seen more support for defunct Scottish rugby teams than the Oilers here.

If I had to guess what teams are most popular, I'd say:

1. Canadiens
2. Bruins
3. Whichever Canadian team is doing well
4. Leafs

(If I remember correctly, when we last about this, I said I thought the Leafs and Canadiens were close to tied for support at the top - but I've reconsidered as a result of offline discussions since then, lol)
I haven't really spoken to many St. John's hockey fans (usually talk football with townies since football fans are few and far between outside the city ). I could agree with the Canadiens being the most popular team as the more I think about it the "50/50" I quoted between them and the Leafs in my mind is starting to sway towards the Canadiens. But there are large number of devout Leafs fans outside of St. John's which survived the AHL break-up. And then of course you frequently hear the pissing match between the two fan bases that make you roll your eyes

I could also agree with Boston having more fans than I would think, especially since they've been playing so well in recent history. I do have a few Uncles who decided to not follow in the Canadiens/Leafs tradition and cheer for the Bruins (and they probably live happier lives because of it)

Edmonton seems to be more popular in the bay between the guys who are on the turn-a-round in Fort Mac and/or guys who work in northern Alberta and spend a lot of time in Edmonton. I guess it's kinda just beginning to cheer for the local team when you actually have the opportunity to see a few games.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 8:29 PM
BANNED

I think the canadiens are popular in pockets throughtout newfoundland. It also seems to be big in a certain age group as well.

The bruins are stronger with the older generation without question.

And I think it's hard to downplay the alberta teams, certain families loves those teams but of course it's very specific to families that have an alberta connection.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 8:54 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
I think the canadiens are popular in pockets throughtout newfoundland. It also seems to be big in a certain age group as well.

The bruins are stronger with the older generation without question.

And I think it's hard to downplay the alberta teams, certain families loves those teams but of course it's very specific to families that have an alberta connection.
You're from the West Coast, right? What about the Leafs out there? I bet they're big in Stephenville, Corner Brook, etc.?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 1:59 AM
I am a typical

Considering the close distance, you would be surprised how little Thunder Bayers care about the Minnesota Wild.

Minnesota Wild, Columbus Bluejackets and Nashville Predators are the three teams that I always forget exist.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Considering the close distance, you would be surprised how little Thunder Bayers care about the Minnesota Wild.

Minnesota Wild, Columbus Bluejackets and Nashville Predators are the three teams that I always forget exist.
Do thunder bayers care about the maple leafs or the jets? What's the most common team to support.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 4:32 AM
I am a typical

The typical lines are between the Leafs and the Habs, with a little bit more support for the Leafs, but the city as a whole will typically sway toward any team with a Thunder Bayer. For example, Patrick Sharp plays for Chicago, so we supported them in the play-offs. There is a lot of support for the Carolina Hurricanes here because of Eric Staal.

Our mayor supports the Bruins, which is one of the few teams in the NHL to not have any Northern Ontarians on it.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
For a a while a lot of Canadian cable companies used Detroit because it was easy to get a strong and consistent Detroit signal in Windsor and distribute it via satellite. In Winnipeg, there were protests and the cable companies eventually backed down and let us keep the North Dakota PBS channel, which got a large part of its funding from Winnipeg, as well as one of the North Dakota network stations.
Legend has it that the Winnipeg police demanded the cable company there drop WDIV from Detroit, because they believed the amount of violent crime on that station's newscasts was the cause of Winnipeg's murder rate increasing. I also once came across an article about a man in New Brunswick in the 1980s who wouldn't let his kids watch the Detroit stations because of the violent crime on their newscasts.

Having grown up with the Detroit stations and now living where I get Watertown and Buffalo stations, it's a bit of a shock to the system to see Local 4 News at 11 whenever I'm back in SW Ontario.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 10:51 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
The two "most hated" teams in Montreal are certainly going to be the Leafs and Bruins, not sure in which order.
This shouldn't even be a question.

Bruins

Leafs

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 10:57 PM

Going back to the original topic, Rogers Sportsnet has a better map of the Sens/Leafs overlap now:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/wp-content/u...ntario_map.pdf

Basically, the Leafs and Senators overlap in all of Northern and Northwestern Ontario, as well as in Peterborough, Belleville, Bancroft, and Kingston; preference is given the Leafs in Peterborough and Northern Ontario, and preference is given to the Senators in Belleville and Kingston. Strangely, Pembroke is considered exclusively Senators territory, but neighbouring Petawawa is in overlap territory.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 3:42 AM
I am a typical

A lot of people in Petawawa are from the rest of Ontario, it's one of the country's largest military bases.

Thunder Bay had Detroit's tv channels until 2005 or 2006, the switched it to Minneapolis because people wanted local news they could relate to better, which is funny because the crime rate has been climbing since about then.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada