HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 6:51 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Supposedly some protests are being organized for Habs games because they hired a coach who can't speak French.
Not even a coach, an interim coach. Ridiculous. A coach needs to be able to communicate with the players, and if he can get results by doing that, it shouldn't matter whether or not he can speak French.

I think it would be nice if all players and coaches of the Canadiens tried to learn French during their time there, but it would be stupid to pass up on someone simply because they don't already know the language.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 7:02 PM

I will be back here around ten o'clock tonight ready to reassure all Habs fans that your boys aren't gonna belly flop, and that losing to the Jets is now just a normal part of life. Now it may take some getting used to, but in time you will come to accept that Jets don't land in Montreal. They fly right over it.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 7:19 PM

Didn' Montreal fans give Koivu crap for not speaking french? despite the fact that he already spoke like 5 languages?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Supposedly some protests are being organized for Habs games because they hired a coach who can't speak French.

I wonder if anyone has pointed out that half the players can't, either. You know, the guys the coach is actually responsible for communicating to.
Ridiculous..

I guess we shouldn't count all the cups won by English coaches right? All the cups won by Toe Blake, Dick Irvin (2 unilingual Ontario natives) or the anglophone Scotty Bowman?

What a fucking joke.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 8:17 PM
Go Chiefs!

Why are you guys taking about the fans that wants to protest? They are only looking for attention and do it more because the team is in 12th place rather than the language the coach speaks. Same thing with Koivu... some fans complained he couldn't speak french (which is false because he speaks french, he just wasn't feeling comfortable talking to journalists) because the team couldn't play for better than .500.

The protests are a result of the crap we see on the ice. There wouldn't be any controversy if the team was in first place.

The same idiots don't realize that only the last 2 cups (93 and 86) were won by billiangual coaches (Demers and Perron).
I see nothing wrong hiring a french coach (Roy please) but if the best one available is an anglophone, you have to hire him.

Once again, it justs shows that the idiot fans (those that likes to complain about everything) and journalists are the big reason why the team hasn't won anything since 93.

I mean they complained when we drafted McDonagh and Pacioretty in 2007 instead of Angelo Esposito(who's currently in the ECHL).

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 8:29 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I will be back here around ten o'clock tonight ready to reassure all Habs fans that your boys aren't gonna belly flop, and that losing to the Jets is now just a normal part of life. Now it may take some getting used to, but in time you will come to accept that Jets don't land in Montreal. They fly right over it.
Oh don't worry. Just let us score the first goal so we have a chance to blow another lead.

Oh... and tell Kane not to run Price because he's won't be as kind as Montoya was.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 8:29 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
The protests are a result of the crap we see on the ice. There wouldn't be any controversy if the team was in first place.

The same idiots don't realize that only the last 2 cups (93 and 86) were won by billiangual coaches (Demers and Perron).
I see nothing wrong hiring a french coach (Roy please) but if the best one available is an anglophone, you have to hire him.

Once again, it justs shows that the idiot fans (those that likes to complain about everything) and journalists are the big reason why the team hasn't won anything since 93.
Umm...if the team was in first, they probably wouldn't have fired the existing coach.

I believe this is the first time they've hired a coach who wasn't at least pretty close to bilingual. Demers, Burns, and Bowman all were pretty fluent in French and born in Quebec to boot. I think this is a good precedent for Montreal, but I'm not surprised by the outcry. Yes, it's not fair to Cunneyworth before he's even had twenty games to show what it's going to be like, but management and Cunneyworth should have seen the size of the fan before they threw this up in the air in Montreal.

I will agree with it being idiot fans for the most part. But it's Canada, I expect rabid, idiotic fans in every city. It's part of what makes the NHL entertaining.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 9:33 PM

Ok maybe not 10 o'clock tonight. I am heading to Calgary at 6 and won't arrive until 2 in the morning, so expect a post at around 5 am. Mountain time.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 12:09 AM
Go Chiefs!

Al Montoya out with a concussion is just what I needed in my SSP pool.

Time to pick Schneider... cannot afford having Price as my only goalie especially considering we sucks.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 2:00 AM
Closed account

Flames recall Greg Nemisz, since Tangauy is out for tonights game wtih the flu.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 3:16 AM

I didn't watch but nice to hear Kadri got a goal. Also, that was a very crucial W against Buffalo.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 3:55 AM

BC would like to thank Albertas hockey teams for beating the red wings and wild tonight. We are heading for the top so it's good to keep these good teams down.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 4:01 AM
Go Chiefs!

http://thejuniorreport.files.wordpre...oringsurge.jpg

Pavelec's easiest SO in his career.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 4:02 AM

Guess goalies should call out their bum teammates more often.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 4:09 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Didn' Montreal fans give Koivu crap for not speaking french? despite the fact that he already spoke like 5 languages?
I didn't have much of an issue with Koivu, but if he already spoke 5 languages (actually it was 3 - Finnish, Swedish and English), you have to wonder why it was apparently so hard to pick up at least the rudiments of a fourth.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 4:12 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Architect View Post
Ridiculous..

I guess we shouldn't count all the cups won by English coaches right? All the cups won by Toe Blake, Dick Irvin (2 unilingual Ontario natives) or the anglophone Scotty Bowman?
Dick Irvin is the only unilingual one of the bunch and he is from a distant era.

Toe Blake was actually a Franco-Ontarian from Sudbury and spoke fluent French. His family's original name was Blais and was changed by his forebears at some point because of... well you know...

Scotty Bowman is from Pointe-St-Charles in Montreal and speaks fluent, anglo-accented French.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 4:14 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post

I believe this is the first time they've hired a coach who wasn't at least pretty close to bilingual. Demers, Burns, and Bowman all were pretty fluent in French and born in Quebec to boot. .
Pat Burns was a francophone for all intents and purposes.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I didn't have much of an issue with Koivu, but if he already spoke 5 languages (actually it was 3 - Finnish, Swedish and English), you have to wonder why it was apparently so hard to pick up at least the rudiments of a fourth.
He could speak French, just not very well, so he didn't want to look like an idiot bumbling in French, so he spoke English (which he did very well).

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 5:19 AM
Closed account

Jets crush the Habs 4 - 0 tonight, good shutout for Pavs and good payback for our season home opener

Old Posted Dec 23, 2011, 7:16 AM
BANNED

Actually felt bad for the Hab's tonight as they were my team during the LOST Jet years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada