HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Well lay-de-dah, urban Canadians will now experience what most rural Canadians have delt with all of their lives. Having to drive or walk to the super box (or post office) to get their mail. And yes all the feeble old ladies and men in small town Canada were able to get their pension cheques to the bank all these years, I think most urbanites are resourceful enough to handle the change.

Welcome to the 1960's folks!
I'm fine with the moves they're making, spent the better part of 2 years their when they were re-structuring the system. It was inevitable.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2014, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Well lay-de-dah, urban Canadians will now experience what most rural Canadians have delt with all of their lives. Having to drive or walk to the super box (or post office) to get their mail. And yes all the feeble old ladies and men in small town Canada were able to get their pension cheques to the bank all these years, I think most urbanites are resourceful enough to handle the change.

Welcome to the 1960's folks!
Well said. I moved from a mature neighbourhood (with door-to-door delivery) to a newer area (with a community box) a few years ago, and there are pros and cons to each type of service. The community box can hold a week's worth mail which is handy when one's away. The "little old lady" who can't get walk up the street to get her mail isn't a reason to keep DTD service. If said lady can keep a single family dwelling (which normally entails shovelling and lawn care), she, or her caregivers, can periodically pick up the mail.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 5:07 PM

The discussion begins again in Winnipeg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...259249761.html

Councillor slams new mailbox program
By: Aldo Santin
Posted: 12:31 PM

A city councillor says Canada Post’s plans for its new community mail box program is fraught with problems and unworkable for seniors and those with disabilities.

Coun. Ross Eadie said Canada Post appears prepared to erect the mail boxes on almost every block across a wide swath of north Winnipeg, north of Inkster Boulevard from the Red River to the CPR Arborg rail line.

"This won’t work," Eadie said. "People won’t be able to get to them, it’s going to cause parking and litter problems and eventually the city will be expected to fix the problems this creates."

The community mailbox program is Canada Post’s alternative to home delivery. The Crown agency announced in December it will phase out home delivery of mail over a five-year period and replace it with community mailboxes, similar to those that exist in new suburbs.

Two areas of north Winnipeg are part of the initial introduction of community mailboxes, which is expected to begin later this year.

Eadie said the mailboxes will be erected on boulevards, adding that traditionally is where the city stores snow in winter.

"The mailboxes will be buried and people won’t be able to get to them," Eadie said, adding that the city does not plow residential sidewalks in winter, making accessibility a serious problem.

Eadie said that even if sidewalks are plowed, residents would have difficulty climbing the resulting windrows.

The situation is made worse for seniors and those with disabilities, he said.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 5:10 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Sometimes there's just no polite way to saying things beyond "you people are fucking idiots".

Hundreds of thousands of Winnipeggers use these community boxes already, and have for decades. Including a metric fuck-ton of seniors in my parents' community. Somehow they've survived since these things were introduced back in the 80s.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Sometimes there's just no polite way to saying things beyond "you people are fucking idiots".

Hundreds of thousands of Winnipeggers use these community boxes already, and have for decades. Including a metric fuck-ton of seniors in my parents' community. Somehow they've survived since these things were introduced back in the 80s.
I think you've said it in the most polite way possible.

But I believe you have a much more intimate understanding of how City Council in Winnipeg expresses themselves and how things work.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 5:26 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
But I believe you have a much more intimate understanding of how City Council in Winnipeg expresses themselves and how things work.
Actually I have just about zero clue how Councils work, anywhere. But I've never understood how any large organization functions, beyond a bunch of people who can't see past the end of their noses whining incessantly about ME ME ME.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 5:56 PM

Quote:

The Conservatives deserve the flak they get for over the top responses. Same can be said for centre left folk as well.

Every time there is a change to some sort of service I hear the usual bleetings from the usual voices (Lizzy May, Council of Canadians, etc).
Although this rant is about the Elections act, I think it can be applied to many issues:

If I was a senior, first nation person or student, I'd be getting pretty pissed at all these people saying that I am too stupid or feeble to have some sort of an ID on me. University students, man if they cannot figure out how to get an ID then why they hell are they in a University? By the number of vehicles I see in North Central Regina or on the numerous reserves I drive through I think first nation people have figured out how to get a drivers licence. And seniors??? Are you frikken kidding me?? How did they live long enough to become seniors without having a clue to have an ID?

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 7:21 PM
Home of Hyperchange

People disagree with the concept of mandatory ID not because it's hard to get (although for some that is the case), but because of what it implies. Google "papers, please" and discover a bit of history.

Also because it solves literally NOTHING, while possibly disenfranchising some voters. Your argument could equally apply to the concept of paying $5 in order to vote - hey, any student can, every senior can, First Nations people get money from the government, what's the problem??

Now Google "poll tax" and discover why we also don't do that.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 7:40 PM

Quote:
People disagree with the concept of mandatory ID not because it's hard to get (although for some that is the case), but because of what it implies. Google "papers, please" and discover a bit of history.

Also because it solves literally NOTHING, while possibly disenfranchising some voters. Your argument could equally apply to the concept of paying $5 in order to vote - hey, any student can, every senior can, First Nations people get money from the government, what's the problem??

Now Google "poll tax" and discover why we also don't do that.
Do you live without any sort of government issue ID? I'm not starting an argument, just curious if you are able to, or have tried.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Actually I have just about zero clue how Councils work, anywhere. But I've never understood how any large organization functions, beyond a bunch of people who can't see past the end of their noses whining incessantly about ME ME ME.

No problem, I was just under the impression from a few past conversations with you and your connections to Winnipeg/Manitoba you may have a feeling for the way politics at both a municipal and provincial level have been carried out here for some time. That would be an error in my assumptions when posting this sentence, ..... "But I believe you have a much more intimate understanding of how City Council in Winnipeg expresses themselves and how things work."

Reg: the topic at hand, some consideration should be given to those who have not lived the "Community Mailbox", lifestyle for 30 years in the city and in it's rural proximity.

As long as the changover to the new format allows those who have "never experienced the concept in their lifetimes", to be informed, prepare for it and eventually make the change, I'm all for it. CP is a money losing entity. It needs to be changed. Patience is required for those that cannot fathom it. Like my 90 year old grandmother.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
No problem, I was just under the impression from a few past conversations with you and your connections to Winnipeg/Manitoba you may have a feeling for the way politics at both a municipal and provincial level have been carried out here for some time. That would be an error in my assumptions when posting this sentence, ..... "But I believe you have a much more intimate understanding of how City Council in Winnipeg expresses themselves and how things work."

Reg: the topic at hand, some consideration should be given to those who have not lived the "Community Mailbox", lifestyle for 30 years in the city and in it's rural proximity.

As long as the changover to the new format allows those who have "never experienced the concept in their lifetimes", to be informed, prepare for it and eventually make the change, I'm all for it. CP is a money losing entity. It needs to be changed. Patience is required for those that cannot fathom it. Like my 90 year old grandmother.
General comment, someone who has lived to be 90, has a lot of experience to draw on. I suspect she is resilient enough to deal with the concept of a mailbox.

Interestingly just recently I was in an apartment building her in Saskatoon built in the 1940s. It does not have central mail box area. Each apartment door has a mail slot and the postal worker goes door to door (floor by floor) delivering the mail.

I would not be surprised to see this decline to the point of the telex and telegram service. Eventually it will just go away. The rare time you need to actually deliver a hard copy letter it will be FedEx or Purolator pouch. Purolator is owned by Canada Post.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 2:07 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Do you live without any sort of government issue ID? I'm not starting an argument, just curious if you are able to, or have tried.
Of course not. I've carried government ID since I was 12 or so - birth certificate - yeah, I was a weird kid. Getting my SIN was a major accomplishment, I think I applied when I was 14 or 15.

But I've also never been unemployed as a voting age adult. And I don't think we should disenfranchise the unemployed.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 2:09 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
General comment, someone who has lived to be 90, has a lot of experience to draw on. I suspect she is resilient enough to deal with the concept of a mailbox.
You'd think so, but people (on average) behave exactly the opposite. The more experience people have, the less likely they are to be able to adapt to change. It's why the longer someone lives in one place, the less likely they are able to move.

Quote:
I would not be surprised to see this decline to the point of the telex and telegram service. Eventually it will just go away. The rare time you need to actually deliver a hard copy letter it will be FedEx or Purolator pouch. Purolator is owned by Canada Post.
Considering that 90% of CP's volume (and revenue) is junk mail - this won't be happening anytime soon. It will take government legislation banning junk mail for environmental reasons before we see this disappear.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 6:35 PM

I think a better approach would have been to keep door-to-door service, but have deliveries only on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I would also haved liked to see the policy on door-to-door vs. community box changed from age to density. Lower density areas built prior to the mid 1980s that had door-to-door would go to community boxes while higher density areas built recently / in the future (if they even exist lol) should get door-to-door.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 6:58 PM
Home of Hyperchange

I think we should have fewer deliveries, period. I'd actually be in favour of once per week.

But I still don't understand the complaint. If you can't walk half a block to get your mail once a week, how the sweet living hell do you get groceries? Answer: you get someone else to do it for you. I can think of 100 things I do more often than picking up my mail. It would never in a million years occur to me that it's some sort of imposition or chore, compared to everything else that I do on a regular basis.

This still seems like complaining about change because it's change. Or maybe there are implementations I haven't seen, where people are having to walk several blocks for their mail. Every time I've seen it, it's 4-5 houses away on average.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 7:49 PM

I believe the community box locations would be placed in a block by block location although I cannot confirm this information, some say it may be 2 blocks depending on the area.

As I posted earlier, I was involved with CP in their restructuring of their delivery system. ( Someone mentioned Purolator in an earlier post as well) I was employed by them as well.

As mentioned in my previous post, I am for the change, as long as it is implemented in an appropriate manner and within a reasonable timetable for all to understand and take measures to change the way they function daily.

Your own opinion,(below) would answer the question and reasoning behind a slow roll out for the new system and afford some forethought to be given into the implementation of the "future". Hence talk to those who may have concerns about what is happening.

"If you can't walk half a block to get your mail once a week, how the sweet living hell do you get groceries? Answer: you get someone else to do it for you."

Well put,. If you have trouble with mobility or other age related issues, you will require someone to pick up your mail as well. A situation that could be easily rectified with pre-planning, along with someones inability to go grocery shopping as you mentioned.

Again, One area at a time. Patience, for those not able to deal with situations you or I wouldn't think twice about or take for granted.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 7:50 PM

For me personally, all my bills are viewed and paid electronically. I get 1 or 2 pieces of real mail a month maybe, and the rest is just junk mail I toss almost immediately.

I only check the mail once a week anyway usually. And I have a community box (and between that and my apartment setup before, I've had the 'central location' mail delivery for years).

My own parents are getting on in years and have a mailbox on the road. They've been looking forward to getting a Community box for years now. It means they no longer have to go out every storm and clear the mail box. Nor will they have to try to find the box after the plow has played Whack-a-box with it.

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 12:41 AM
I am a typical

I have a recycling box beside my mailbox, probably 75% of the mail we receive doesn't even make it into the house.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 2:28 AM

Quote:
It could be worse. The private couriers tend to only deliver during the day, and if you miss them for some reason (oh I dunno, perhaps because you have a job) then you have to drive to literally the furthest possible point for pickup, because the only depot they have is in an industrial area miles away from any homes.

And said pickup depot is only open M-F, 9-5. So, you know, you're basically fucked if you have a job.
THIS. It's my #1 argument against postal privitization. There's fewer things in the world that piss me off more than having to take two hours off work in order to make time to sit on a bus for an hour to the very edge of an industrial park at the very edge of the city in order to get to the Purolator pick up point before it closes at 5.

Whereas Canada Post drops it off at my local post office which is open until 8pm.

We need a new law imposed on all private delivery companies (UPS, Purolator, Canpar, etc.) mandating that they offer the following:
1) A centrally located / transit-friendly pickup location available for those Canadians without cars
2) Evening hours

Last edited by 1overcosc; May 19, 2014 at 5:58 AM.

Old Posted May 19, 2014, 3:06 AM
I am a typical

Why can't Purolator just bring it to the Canada Post kiosks? It's essentially the same company.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada