HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 8:19 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I asked my parents just to get a different era's perspective. Both are at about 25% still in the province, 50% in Nova Scotia, 25% in Ontario.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 8:35 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I asked my parents just to get a different era's perspective. Both are at about 25% still in the province, 50% in Nova Scotia, 25% in Ontario.
From what I know of my parents' generation (people born in the 40s and 50s), the main difference would been a higher prevelance of people going to the States.

In my grandparents' generation, the States would have been the main destination for people leaving the Maritimes (pretty much the entire family were Maritimers in that generation).

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 10:17 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

And it looks like Newfoundlanders took your places.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 11:17 PM

I would say to the BC interior or Vancouver island. My sister and her husband went to McAllen TX as that's where her son lived at the time. His brother (from Sherbrooke orginally, though they both lived here for years) lives there or has a winter home there as well.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 11:26 PM

Out of everyone I knew in London, I'd say the vast majority who left the city are now in Toronto/GTA, with some others in Ottawa, a few out west, and a few in other countries.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 1:01 AM

I have 10 branches in my family. When I was born 1 lived abroad (O&G career), 1 lived in Southwestern NB, 3 lived in Halifax, and 5 lived in Cumberland County, NS.

As of now I have 1 in Southwestern NB, part of 1 in Europe, 1 full (O&G) and parts of 3 others in Calgary, parts of three in Cumberland County, parts of 2 outside of Moncton, 1 full and parts of 2 outside of Halifax boundaries, and parts of 4 in Halifax.

Those above do not include those who have passed away or were born after my generation. The older generation has not moved far but my generation has. The movement in my generation actually caused a major shift this year in holiday celebrations. The annual family party saw attendance drop from around 35 to around 20. This is half due to the movement of people.

As for Halifax in general the major players seem to be movement outbound to Fort Mac and Calgary. Inbound most of Halifax's permnament growth is from New Brunswick, PEI, and NFLD but Southern Ontario accounts for something like 50% of post-secondary students (most move back after graduating though).

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 3:21 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Nobody stays in London.

Toronto, Toronto, Calgary, and Toronto.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 3:42 AM

From Edmonton (for me):

80% stayed
15% Toronto
5% Ottawa

Yes there was a "get out" mentality. I left for a while, and leaving made me realize how great Edmonton was, and I'm back. I've heard the same thing from others, too.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 3:46 AM

I would argue that about 80% of my grad class is still in Winnipeg, which seems really high to me.

It was probably around 60% immediately post high school, but there was a very sizeable return rate.

Nothing new to report here. If you are from Winnipeg, you are pretty much either going to live in Calgary or Winnipeg when you age up. Some will find their way to the oil patch, to be sure, but that is merely a timely detour on the way to Calgary or a huge detour to beat the traffic congestion in south Winnipeg, and skirt back around through north Winnipeg. The odd individual may get lost on their way to Calgary, and find themselves in Vancouver. Being from the flatlands, the idea of crossing back through the mountains is just to intimidating to contemplate, and as a result, they tried to find the flattest plot of land in Vancouver that they could.

A few decided to spend a year or two in Toronto, but very few in any case that I can think of ended up staying. The return rate from Toronto is very high.

Edmonton really is not on many people's radar, at least where I went to school, to the best of my knowledge. Regina and Saskatoon were never really though of, and for many Manitobans (that I know at least), setting out east past Kenora is nearly unheard of (except for Toronto).

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 4:18 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
As for Halifax in general the major players seem to be movement outbound to Fort Mac and Calgary.
It really depends on what demographics you are talking about. I only know one or two people from high school who moved to Calgary or Edmonton. I don't know anybody who moved to rural areas or small towns in AB. A handful ended up in Ontario, Vancouver, or the US (California or Northeast), one or two are now in Europe, and the rest stayed in Halifax (a surprising fraction to me -- around 50%). Most stayed in Halifax for post-secondary unless they went somewhere significantly more prestigious than Dalhousie (Princeton, MIT).

As far as I can tell, few people who have completed a university degree move to Fort McMurray.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 2:00 PM

I'm not in touch (FB or otherwise) with a lot of my graduating class but since most are bilingual (mostly were before they even started grade 1), a lot of stayed very close to home in Southeast NB (Kent/Westmorland/Albert counties). A few have gone west to Ontario (maybe 2 or 3) and some farther (a couple) but the vast majority has stuck around, it seems.

My most distant traced ancestors came to the maritimes (and eventually SE NB) in 1820 (Anglophone) and 1687 (Francophone) and the bulk of their descendants in between them and myself stuck around this area. My immediate family also all lives in SE NB and hasn't moved more than 50 miles in their lifetimes. I have one aunt in NS, but that's about it. Many family members over the past 2 generations have gone to ON during the tobacco boom of the 70's but always came back. To my knowledge I have no near relatives outside of NB/NS.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 3:15 PM

Toronto

Most moved out for university(Somewhere in Ontario) and many for work afterwards(US or UK) and most have moved back to somehwere in the GTA.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 3:40 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Interesting note - It was not uncommon for a good percentage of the boys to quit school in grade 10.
Bored with school, ready to take over the farm. Happened a lot, I'm guessing. Lots of pluses and minuses for that.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 3:51 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Nothing new to report here. If you are from Winnipeg, you are pretty much either going to live in Calgary or Winnipeg when you age up.
You will live in Calgary, for a stint of 20 years. Once you've become wealthy, you'll sell your assets, move back to the chinookless wasteland and live like a king!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 9:38 PM

Looking at my Facebook friends list and trying to filter them appropriately, my graduating class has roughly the following breakdown:

15% - Corner Brook
30% - St. John's
15% - Stephenville
2% - Fredericton (I found other people since I've been here, surprising to say the least)
4% - Iqaluit
30% - Calgary/Edmonton/Fort McMurray
2 people ended up in London, ON at UWO for graduate school and have no intention to stay.
2 people ended up in Halifax, one doing a graduate program at Dal and the other is just a wanderer, but a close friend of mine actually.
- The rest are at an assortment of universities throughout atlantic Canada or living in odd places to try and get work experience (Thompson, MB for instance)

I do know one girl who went to Toronto, she went up, found a job and 3 days later was on a flight out of Pearson heading home.

That said, a lot of those numbers are people away at different schools and it's hard to say where they'll end up. I do know of a few people that finished degrees and hooked jobs at home and moved back within the last year, and others who work in Alberta but have young families, new homes, etc... in Newfoundland.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Here's an interesting small town perspective:

Graduated HS in Vernon BC in 1993, about 50% of the kids my age left for larger cities, primarily Vanouver or Calgary, and another 10% left for other smaller locales within BC where job prospects were better, or to attend smaller post- secondary institutions.

Interesting to note though, of my many friends who did head for the bigger cities when they were young, a large percentage have been steadily moving back over the past few years, for a few reasons:
  • They're older, more experienced & educated and able to obtain gainful employment in Vernon
  • They are starting families and see Vernon as a better place to start and raise a family than larger cities
  • Many are just tiring of the fast pace of the cities, have saved a significant amount of money and are taking advantage of the slower pace and affordability of Vernon
Amazing. This is exactly what has happened here. Replace every Vernon with Castlegar and this is what happened/is happening here!!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 1:46 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I like Vernon. Lived just south of it back in the early 90s (in some armpit called Winfield).

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 4:11 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
Looking at my Facebook friends list and trying to filter them appropriately, my graduating class has roughly the following breakdown:

15% - Corner Brook
30% - St. John's
15% - Stephenville
2% - Fredericton (I found other people since I've been here, surprising to say the least)
4% - Iqaluit
30% - Calgary/Edmonton/Fort McMurray
2 people ended up in London, ON at UWO for graduate school and have no intention to stay.
2 people ended up in Halifax, one doing a graduate program at Dal and the other is just a wanderer, but a close friend of mine actually.
- The rest are at an assortment of universities throughout atlantic Canada or living in odd places to try and get work experience (Thompson, MB for instance)

I do know one girl who went to Toronto, she went up, found a job and 3 days later was on a flight out of Pearson heading home.

That said, a lot of those numbers are people away at different schools and it's hard to say where they'll end up. I do know of a few people that finished degrees and hooked jobs at home and moved back within the last year, and others who work in Alberta but have young families, new homes, etc... in Newfoundland.
Brings a tear to my eye. Happy to read this, especially from the west coast. I would have figured that 30% would be Halifax, not St. John's.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 12:51 PM
video et taceo

i went to high school in halifax and only one of my friends now lives there (he lived in montreal for ten years, but moved back).

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Brings a tear to my eye. Happy to read this, especially from the west coast. I would have figured that 30% would be Halifax, not St. John's.
haha, there was a time when it would have been Halifax for sure, but with the strong economy in St. John's and Memorial becoming a more respected university all the time it's definitely taken over.

For the high school classes that graduated even 5 years before I did, the percentage going to Halifax/NS schools over St. John's was much higher. Even when I was in grade 10 and first starting to think of what I might want to do, I put MUN and St. John's at the bottom of the list... then 3 years later that's exactly where I ended up going. Cheap tuition, George Street, decent concerts/performers coming through, city with character, pro hockey now... can't really beat that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada