HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 5:26 AM

If I ever moved back to Canada, it would be to the BC Interior, probably somewhere in the Kootenays. I doubt it will ever happen though as I can't handle the winters. I relocated back to Australia from Seattle because my seasonal affective was turning into depression. Now I'm back in Perth, hit the beach at sunrise every morning (surfing if the waves are good, kayaking otherwise) and feeling great.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I think you could say something similar of a lot of places in Canada. Unless you're somewhat familiar with them to begin with you're not likely to be aware of what they offer. It's common for people to look for a laundry list of things based on what they like about the places they've lived in while overlooking all of the other hypothetical things they might like just as much or more. Sometimes people are also blind to drawbacks of the place they live in.

One example around here is people who say they wouldn't want to live somewhere without good skiing nearby. Most people don't actually go skiing very often and, well, there are other things in life too.

Lots of people in Southern Ontario think they need to live in an area with millions of people but they don't look at some of the downsides, like living in bland suburban tract housing and spending hours stuck in traffic all the time.

Atlantic Canada's kind of an exception to this because everybody there thinks everywhere else is better. People in other regions meanwhile tend not to really appreciate what it's like to live there.
But I'd love to get rid of the hour long commute. And I'd totally ski every day if I moved to Vancouver or Calgary.

Do they have skiing in Atlantic Canada?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Now you have me wondering, are they generally Red Wings fans? If so then where (approximately) is the Wings/Leafs boundary in Ontario?
London. Lots of Tigers and Red Wings fans there. Not so many farther east. Then it's Leafs and Jays land until Kingston where things take a decidedly French turn.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Now you have me wondering, are they generally Red Wings fans? If so then where (approximately) is the Wings/Leafs boundary in Ontario?
Haha! This is why I love this forum.

Yes they're Red Wings fans over there, and I've found myself wondering the same thing about the boundary. London is most definitely still Leafs Nation, so my guess would be somewhere around Chatham is the boundary.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 2:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I find London to be a three-way split between fans of the Marble Loafs, the Red Wings, and the Habs. Yes, the Habs are very popular here, thank god. Although everyone supports the local team, the highly successful London Knights.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 2:15 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
London. Lots of Tigers and Red Wings fans there. Not so many farther east. Then it's Leafs and Jays land until Kingston where things take a decidedly French turn.
Things take a French turn in Kingston?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
All of the east coast cities are too small, yet Halifax is larger than Windsor, Victoria, Niagara or Oshawa (more of a suburb really). Though I would agree you could call it somewhat isolated from other major cities.
Windsor is in the Greater Detroit Region, 4.5 million people! Not small or isolated like Halifax!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
I'm not a Toronto Raptors fan. I was a huge dinosaur fanatic as a kid.

The problem with cities like Toronto is they are way too cold in winter and way too hot in summer.

those 4 months of intolerable weather is still 4 months of intolerable weather.

Vancouver and Victoria winters are mildly pleasant if not a bit wet while the summers are absolutely perfect, of course this is my opinion.

I was in Toronto mid summer, it was extremely humid, never again.
Winters in Toronto are not always cold and summers not always hot and humid. There are many winter days well above freezing and many summer days with bright sunshine and temps in the mid 20s. It's like saying Vancouver has four months of intolerable weather because it rains non stop. Most cities have weather that changes on a daily basis.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 2:30 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
But I'd love to get rid of the hour long commute. And I'd totally ski every day if I moved to Vancouver or Calgary.

Do they have skiing in Atlantic Canada?
We do but the worthwhile hills are all quite far from any significant Atlantic Canadian cities.

I'm assuming Marble Mountain near the city of Corner Brook is the best in Atlantic Canada because I imagine our hills are the biggest east of Quebec? No idea, though, what they have in the Maritimes so could be corrected in a post or two.

Video Link

So everything in this video is a 7.5 hour drive from St. John's or a 13.5-hour drive/ferry ride from Halifax. Some magazine in Nova Scotia just ranked it (Corner Brook) the best place to live in Atlantic Canada for outdoor activities.

A little more info:

Quote:
Marble Mountain Ski Resort is known to have some of the best skiing east of the Rockies with an average of 5 m (16 ft) of snow each year, compared to Mont Tremblant's 3.65 m (12 ft). The resort was a key venue for the 1999 Canada Winter Games hosted by Corner Brook. Marble Mountain also boasts the only detachable high speed quad lift in Atlantic Canada - the Governor's Express. It is 1,660 m (5,446 ft) in length and has a ride time of approximately 8 minutes. At the end of the lift the fun really begins! Book your Marble Mountain Ski Vacation today - call us at 632 7900.
http://www.marblemountain.com/activities.html

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 3:02 PM
You talkin' to me?

Ski Martock about 45 minutes outside Halifax is the closest hill to any city in the maritimes that I can think of. The other ski hills in Nova Scotia I can think of are Wentworth Valley outside of Truro, and Cape Smokey in Cape Breton. In New Brunswick all I can think of is Folley Mountain but I know there are more.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 3:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Ski Martock about 45 minutes outside Halifax is the closest hill to any city in the maritimes that I can think of. The other ski hills in Nova Scotia I can think of are Wentworth Valley outside of Truro, and Cape Smokey in Cape Breton. In New Brunswick all I can think of is Folley Mountain but I know there are more.
It's Poley Mountain, not Folley Mountain, and it's pretty much equidistant between Moncton and Saint John, being about 45 minutes from each, hence it is no more inconvenient to the major NB cities than Martock is to Halifax.

Crabbe Mountain is about an hour outside Fredericton. Campbellton has Sugar Loaf and there is also a big ski hill up in Edmundston, just outside city limits.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 3:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

[QUOTE=MonctonRad;6434661]It's Poley Mountain, not Folley Mountain, and it's pretty much equidistant between Moncton and Saint John, being about 45 minutes from each, hence it is no more inconvenient to the major NB cities than Martock is to Halifax.

Crabbe Mountain is about an hour outside Fredericton. Campbellton has Sugar Loaf and there is also a big ski hill up in Edmundston, just outside city limits.[/QUOTE]

Mont Farlagne!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 3:32 PM

NB has:

* Crabbe - 45mins from Fredericton, vertical rise 853 feet, 32 runs
* Mont Farlagne - near Edmunston, vertical rise 600 feet, 22 runs
* Poley Mountain - 30 mins from Moncton, vertical rise 660 feet, 30+ runs

VERY modest, given there are larger mountains in NB. Carleton is over 2,600 feet (still small by mountain standards) but is very remote and not skiable, for example.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 3:32 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

How big are these hills? If we're counting small ones, then there is a resort much closer to St. John's.

White Hills is near Clarenville, about a two-hour drive away. Of course, white is a bit of a stretch. It doesn't get as much snow as the west coast.

Quote:
Nestled across 55 acres of ski and board terrain in the majestic hills of the Discovery Region, White Hills Resort has the proud distiction of being called "Eastern Newfoundland's Winter Playground".

We offer a variety of downhill trails* and glades that reach to over 750 vertical feet, as well as over 40 km of the best cross-country trails in Newfoundland spread from the base of the resort. Our Bombardier BR-275 grooming machine and our increased snow production of 85% coverage provides patrons with a satisfying riding experience second to none.
http://www.discoverwhitehills.com/

EDIT: I see Vorkuta posted the sizes. Just to compare, Marble is Vertical, 536 m (1,759 ft). Top elevation, 546 m (1,791 ft) (Wikipedia).

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
A lot of people don't understand Windsor. It's better than living in Detroit because you get all the advantages of living in a major American city but none of the crime and desperation, plus free health care to boot. It's probably even easier to get to a downtown theatre or a Wings game from Windsor than it is from suburban Detroit. Plus the climate is better than everywhere except Van and Vic.

That said, Windsor itself is a bit crude and uncultured.
Lol, I wouldn't say we are crude and uncultured! If you're going by the central city then I can see your point, as most of our poorer residents live in and around the core area, but much of the region is as cultured as anywhere else. We have beautiful neighbourhoods, an amazing symphony orchestra, lots of local theatre and a growing film festival, plus we have an array of cultural options in Metro Detroit to patronize.

http://www.windsorfilmfestival.com

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
EDIT: I see Vorkuta posted the sizes. Just to compare, Marble is Vertical, 536 m (1,759 ft). Top elevation, 546 m (1,791 ft) (Wikipedia).
I know many skiing fans around here and we WISH we had bigger mountains closer. The problem with Marble is it's way the heck over there. Many here take long weekends to Quebec or Maine. (Sugarloaf/Sunday River are over 2600, IIRC)

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 3:38 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
I know many skiing fans around here and we WISH we had bigger mountains closer. The problem with Marble is it's way the heck over there. Many here take long weekends to Quebec or Maine. (Sugarloaf/Sunday River are over 2600, IIRC)
The story of our lives. Good enough, but not as good as something easier to get to.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 3:47 PM
Mooderator

I'll never move again. Half this country's enough.

Beer is cheapest here.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 6:14 PM

I never want to leave Montreal. I love this place way too much, but if I HAD to, and money wasn't an option then I would choose.

1.- Toronto (condo downtown, no suburbs)
2.- Calgary (I hear they got good steaks there, I like steak)
3.- St. John's, (looks fun, though the isolation and small size might get to me eventually)

Old Posted Feb 3, 2014, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

One example around here is people who say they wouldn't want to live somewhere without good skiing nearby. Most people don't actually go skiing very often and, well, there are other things in life too.
Really? Everyone I know who grew up in Van revolves their life around skiing in the winter. I know when I lived there I got up to the slopes as much as possible, day trips to whistler and easy days on the local peaks. It was one of the good things about it raining in the city... meant it was snowing on the slopes!

I even had a thing called a one nighter at cypress where you pick one night of the week and for a couple hundred bucks get a pass for night skiing on that day all year. I picked Wednesday, it was perfect, get off work at 4:30-5:00 on Wednesday head straight to the mountain and ski for 4 hours. A simply sublime way to break up the work week.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada