HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Destiny USA Hotel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Syracuse Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 10, 2007, 5:15 AM

To put things into perspective....

Downtown Syracuse used to have a huge hotel called "Hotel Syracuse" with 600 rooms. When it closed to make way for apartments and condos, Syracuse lost 600 hotel rooms.

My point. This 1,342-room Hotel is roughly only double the number of rooms Syracuse lost two years ago. So basically this hotel is only adding 750 rooms to the Syracuse market.

http://www.123syracuse.com/

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 4:21 AM
Green Man

The future of Destiny

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- “Cash and liquidity were plentiful. Investors were eager to take on risk,” said Nicholas Fluehr, Citigroup Managing Director.

What a difference a year makes. An official from Citibank telling Onondaga County lawmakers that money markets remain dry. While the diagnosis is dire, the prognosis was brighter. There was light at the end of the tunnel and signs of some recovery.

The most immediate impact of the market meltdown was felt at the site of the area's largest construction project Destiny USA. While funding was already secured for the expansion of Carousel Center, the developer was moving on to Phase 2, a massive hotel on the shore of Onondaga Lake. It appeared everything was a go until the money dried up and Destiny missed its window to borrow needed funds.

Some good news and some bad news for Onondaga County lawmakers. Bill Carey says they met with a top banking executive trying to figure out what the future holds for the money markets and a key local project.

“Very, very close. It's all about timing. All about timing in this business and sometimes hours and days and weeks do make a difference,” said David Aitken, Destiny USA.

The optimism voiced by the legislature's guest was accompanied by a hard nosed review of what the markets have been through.

“I frankly have never seen it as bad as it got this January and February,” said Fluehr.

But as financial institutions stabilize and the economy turns upward, Fluehr is hopeful things will change.

“Yeah. Hopefully by year end, but it could run into next year,” said Fluehr.

Destiny said it’s ready to move as quickly as those markets allow to get going on Phase 2.

“Trust me. There's every motivation to move as quickly as possible in the market,” said David Aitken.

Original plans called for construction of the Emerald Hotel to begin next summer.

Onondaga County lawmakers have another reason for concern about the rebound in the money markets. The slowdown in credit has stalled work on construction of a new convention center hotel in downtown Syracuse.

--
http://news10now.com/content/top_sto...y/Default.aspx

With Phase one under contruction i thought i would give you guys a little update. I am still very Optimistic this gets built.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 5:52 PM
low-riding

Could someone post renders of the whole Destiny Project. Curious what the phase under construction is. also has this project been affected at all by the credit crisis?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 6:27 PM
Pacific Wonderland

"Destiny Plans Most Ambitious Expansion Ever"

November 22 2008,

In an attempt to make Syracuse a global rival to Dubai, Destiny L.L.C. is proposing to add the largest man-made islands ever built in a lake. The two islands would take the form of crossed hockey sticks, each one over a mile in length. Only the Palm palm Jumeirah in the United Arab Emirates city of Dubai would be larger.

The proposed islands would each hold about thousands single family homes and apartments, as well as shops, commercial space and hotels. Each stick would have a trolley running up the length of the stick. No timetable was given for the start of construction on the sticks.

Aerial concept for the Destiny Islands project.

/joke

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 6:46 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderlandPark View Post
/joke
uhhh, ok.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 1:43 AM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLksuGUY View Post
Well at least its more interesting than Trump Philadelphia!
LOL, i second that!

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 2:10 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
In an attempt to make Syracuse a global rival to Dubai
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 4:38 PM

It really does look like the Emerald City of Oz. Pretty cool. Hopefully some of those hotel rooms will be convertible into apartments or something when they're done with the conference? Seems like a lot of rooms for such a nice hotel.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2008, 5:35 PM
Green Man

I was wondering how this thread got back from the dead. lol

If anyone is interested in a status report here it is. Phase one is well underway( and it is massive), Phase 2 has stalled due to the credit crunch, just like every other hotel project in Syracuse. From what I heard though, Destiny still plans on building it.

BTW- as some of you may know, The Syracuse Metro sewage treatment plant is across the river and they just added a chemical to the solid poop to make it "green" friendly. So now the entire outside of the Mall smells like FISH. I was there yesterday and it was downright offensive

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 6:48 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Never Built:

SYRACUSE | Destiny USA Hotel | 640 FT / 190 M | 39 FLOORS

Emporis:
Quote:
Technical Data
Height (architectural): 639.99 ft
Height (roof): 639.99 ft
Floors (above ground): 39
Construction start: 2008
Construction end: 2010
Building costs: $450,000,000

Structure in General
Building type: skyscraper
Building status: unbuilt [cancelled]
Architectural style: modernism
Usage: hotel

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects