HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Photos

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 7:30 PM
zzzzzzzz

Portland Neighborhood Tour – Sellwood/Westmoreland

Portland has lots of interesting neighborhoods outside of the more frequently photographed downtown or the Pearl District. This is the first of what I hope will be a series of neighborhood photo threads I’ll do around my new home town.

Sellwood is a neighborhood along the east side of the Willamette River (Portland’s east/west dividing line) on the southern edge of the city. It began as a separate town and was annexed by Portland in 1893, though it still has a small-town feel. Westmoreland is the neighborhood immediately north of Sellwood.

This is not an extremely dense area, but the neighborhood is old enough that there is no cookie-cutter suburban feel. It is mostly single-family detached homes, with duplexes every so often and a few townhome infill developments. The neighborhood is very walkable, with a grid network of streets as is typical in many older neighborhoods in southeast Portland, and a couple main streets with local shops and restaurants. No office parks, strip malls or big parking lots.

The Sellwood Bridge is the only river crossing in the area and is in need of replacement. Trucks are no longer allowed over it.

These photos were taken in October and November…

Looking east across the Willamette at Sellwood.

Downtown Portland in the distance… if only I had a better camera!

View from on the bridge

What a poetic sign

On the Sellwood side of the bridge looking west

Homes in Sellwood

Newer stuff/infill

Share-it Square – a community-organized “square.” It’s the four corners of an intersection where people can post community news and leave/take books and various other items.

Spelling shop as “shoppe” really helps to give a place that old-timey feel.

Tallest building in Sellwood. I think it’s low-income or senior housing, but I could be mistaken.

Sellwood Park

Downtown PDX in the distance again – in the foreground is the Oaks Bottom Wildlife Refuge and Ross Island.

Milwaukie Ave shops in Westmoreland

Who needs “more” when you have clogs?

Hope you enjoyed the tour. I don’t know what neighborhood will be next, or when I’ll get to it… I think it’s supposed to rain from now until late March.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 9:06 PM

Yay, my 'hood! Thanks for posting these. After a long day at school in noisy downtown, it's nice to come home to my quiet little enclave. The activity on Milwaukie/Bybee and 13th is plenty for me. As far as I know, the only place (or one of very few) in town to get tater tot nachos!

It will by interesting to see how the neighborhood evolves when they put in the new MAX line.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 9:14 PM
Future God

Gorgeous! I love the distinctively Pacific Northwest feel of the neighborhood.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 9:15 PM
Closed account

portland is so cool. thanks for the tour. looks like my kinda town.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 9:28 PM

Portland's really got it together, and it seems like it keeps getting better. If every metro area had Portland's planning foresight, we probably wouldn't need imported oil and gas.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 9:42 PM

Great photos! Fun to see a neighborhood I never seem to visit -- but from what I remember it's got an awesome "Main Street" feel to it, with lots of good restaurants. And those views of downtown are awesome from the south. It's the only real vantage point that captures the South Waterfront together with downtown, and it's so beautiful with the Willamette River in the foreground. Thanks!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 10:04 PM
passion for patterns

Cute neighborhood, although when I viewed the pictures I kept on thinking that this is how all suburbs should be, not necessarily the city itself. It has nothing to do with Portland, but there's something about a place like Sellwood that doesn't seem to reciprocate in real suburbs.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 11:43 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

I lived (for a year) at 41st and Bybee when I was in college- that's miles outside of Westmoreland (and even past Eastmoreland) but still, thanks for the pics.

If you'd continued a bit more north and east, you'd have included the Rhodo Garden and my alma mater, Reed College.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 11:46 PM
Red Hook Aficionado

Very Nice. Look forward to seeing your photos of other Portland neighborhoods.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 4:19 AM

I think I've yet to see a Portland thread on this forum that didn't impress me. The city just seems to have so many great neighborhoods & even some nice burbs. Portland definitely has my respect (and then some).

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 7:46 AM
zzzzzzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
If you'd continued a bit more north and east, you'd have included the Rhodo Garden and my alma mater, Reed College.
Patience... I have a photo or two from Eastmoreland, and was thinking of doing a Reed/Eastmoreland thread sometime, but it could be a while.

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 9:34 AM

Looks like a very pleasant neighbourhood. Good to see comparatively few chain stores, although I was most amused by the shop/ restaurant? called 'Euro faire'

Old Posted Nov 22, 2007, 12:36 PM

nice photos

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 12:31 AM
Developer

Portland is always looks good to me. Look forward to more neighborhood tours!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 1:46 AM

In my 6 weeks or so here this is one of the few areas I've yet to check out. It's further out than one would expect being so close to the river. I've heard the bridge is sketchy as hell; an I-35w waiting to happen. Well that may be an exaggeration, I guess...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 2:51 AM
Posh

Looks great!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 2:53 AM

What's up with the "Divorce Shoppe"?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 4:40 AM

I get a warm, cozy feeling just looking at pictures like this. Damn, why does most of our country look like complete crap when we've got place like this serving as examples?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 5:36 PM
Green Giant

Great photo thread........I never before witnessed a "Community Organized Square" before now! I rememeber when this Distric was left for dead. I am happy to see how the Sellwood and many other Portland neighborhoods have transformed into quaint, vibrant communities. It will be interesting to see the chnges that will occur once the Portland-Milwaukie "Yellow Line" LTR extension passes through.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2007, 6:03 PM
no its not...

mid-sized big cities.....

...are the right size. Portland is a fine example of creativity in this respect. I get so tired of the "look at all our huge skyscapers threads" Or the ones where gaining the most in population is supposed to be a great thing. What really matters is how a city manages growth, infill, and good transportation options.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Photos